Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There is a fairly realistic probability that a hot war with Russia would not actually result in nuclear war. The logic of M.A.D. is supposed to prevent either side from actually pushing the button. It’s tempting to call Putin’s bluff, though I understand why we don’t. 

I thought the idea was that there would be no war, because destruction, as it were, was assured. Mutually. 

Unless you had a team talk before kick-off and everyone agreed not to play their star weapons, I don't see how it would not be nuclear war, because you would assume that the other side was about to use them on you. 

Edited by HKP90

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There is a fairly realistic probability that a hot war with Russia would not actually result in nuclear war. The logic of M.A.D. is supposed to prevent either side from actually pushing the button. It’s tempting to call Putin’s bluff, though I understand why we don’t. 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Well they could be from anywhere then.

I'm not sure what you are getting at I'm afraid. The bombs, or the people? 

Point was the Russians in Donbass would experience fighting that the Russians in Russia wouldn't. I think. 

28 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Do you have some examples of this? Ukraine forces bombing civilians that is.

Yes, I do, but it doesn't matter.

Because all that will happen is the whole thing manipulated into me, somehow trying to turn this into justification for what is currently happening, which isn't my aim.

However, again, there is alot more happening here, than meets the eye, or that people would want to know or acknowledge.

Furthermore, if the proof is provided, it will be followed up with ' yEaH rUsSiAn pRoPaGaNdA " and if it's not, you'll claim I have none, so there is no win scenario for me here.

I also have proof of Ukrainian propaganda as well, if you're interested. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I thought the idea was that there would be no war, because destruction, as it were, was assured. Mutually. 

Unless you had a team talk before kick-off and everyone agreed not to play their star weapons, I don't see how it would not be nuclear war, because you would assume that the other side was about to use them on you. 

The assured destruction doesn’t come from having a war. It comes from launching nuclear weapons.

The system is automated. In the event of one side launching nuclear weapons at the other the program kicks in and retaliates even if there is no longer anyone alive to push the button.  

A world leader would need to actually insane to initiate the exchange. 

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Because all that will happen is the whole thing manipulated into me, somehow trying to turn this into justification for what is currently happening, which isn't my aim.

However, again, there is alot more happening here, than meets the eye, or that people would want to know.

Furthermore, if the proof is provided, it will be followed up with ' yEaH rUsSiAn pRoPoGaNdA " and if it's not, you'll claim I have none, so there is no win scenario for me here.

I feel as though you want to say something JV, but you're holding back. 

Come on man, just spit it out...

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

The assured destruction doesn’t come from having a war. It comes from launching nuclear weapons.

The system is automated. In the event of one side launching nuclear weapons at the other the program kicks in and retaliates even if there is no longer anyone alive to push the button.  

A world leader would need to actually insane to initiate the exchange. 

No the exchange would be initiated by thinking the other guy will, insane or not. 

I'm pretty sure Putin would if backed into a corner.

9 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The scope expands. Wonder what happens when Putin’s pc stops working. 

That’s a big one, I know MS isn’t for everyone but it’ll be at the core of many businesses. 

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Has there ever been such a mass exodus of goods, services etc. from a country than what is happening now in Russia...?

In the next few weeks, they won't have anything left, nor any money to spend. 

It doesn't matter though.  Putins been saving up apparently.  The West are doing nothing and wasting their time.

Airbnb have suspended their fees on bookings in Ukraine. There’s been a groundswell of people making bookings in Airbnb’s in combat zones to get money to those on the ground. 
Obviously, nobody is actually going there but I think it’s a good way of supporting those under siege. 
I know there’s plenty of other ways to support too so if anyone has any other ideas, feel free to share. I know we can’t change the situation and at this distance we are often somewhat impotent (no need for a Kenneth here) but it’s good to support if you can. 

Edited by choffer
Tiepoze

Just now, choffer said:

Airbnb have suspended their fees on bookings in Ukraine. There’s been a groundswell of people making bookings in Airbnb’s in combat zones to get money to those on the ground. 
Obviously, nobody is actually going there but I think it’s a good way of supporting those under siege. 
I know there’s plenty of other ways to support too so if anyone has any other ideas, feel free to share. I know we can’t change the situation and at this distance we are often somewhat impotent (no need for a Kenneth here) but it’s good to support of you can. 

Not a bad idea, that. I've gone with the DEC, but that could work.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However, again, there is alot more happening here, than meets the eye, or that people would want to know or acknowledge.

Furthermore, if the proof is provided, it will be followed up with ' yEaH rUsSiAn pRoPaGaNdA " and if it's not, you'll claim I have none, so there is no win scenario for me here.

No, I'm really not interested in this kind of thing or this kind of post. Unless you are working for MI6 why write a post like this?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

No the exchange would be initiated by thinking the other guy will, insane or not. 

I'm pretty sure Putin would if backed into a corner.

Yeah that’s exactly why we’re not going to take the chance.

On the balance of probabilities I think it’s weighed towards no nuclear exchange even if we engage in a hot war with Russia but when the outcome of a miscalculation is so extreme we’re just not going to take that chance. Unfortunately Putin also knows this and it gives him a lot of leverage. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â