Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

So the Russian convoy is 3 or 4 deep circa 50 miles in length and currently stationery. 

To me thats what you call sitting ducks, Just send in the Airforce and Nuke the **** words removed 

• Like 1

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Finding it all depressing today. While sanctions and supplies are all we can realistically do for now we need to wait months for the seriousness of them to start having a serious impact. A long few months for Ukrainian people/kids. Is this just the beginning of WW3 by proxy? I know we need to avoid all out West vs East war but man, we all know Russia wants that and I can’t help but feel they will eventually get it at all costs. It’s all messing with my head. 

First they came….

5 hours ago, Awol said:

I know Shell has announced its following BP out of Russia, so from a UK side it looks like a totally coordinated takedown of the Russian banking system, vital economic sectors and high net worth individuals. 

I'm catching up several pages, but not really. We've said we're going to do lots of stuff. But actually doing it...

Britain has been accused of opening a loophole in sanctions designed to hobble the Putin regime by granting one of Moscow’s biggest banks an “absurd” month-long exemption from the enforcement of an assets freeze....the Treasury unit in charge of enforcing the UK’s sanctions quietly issued a 30-day licence granting permission for any individual or entity to “wind down any transactions” with VTB until 27 March.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Britain has been accused of opening a loophole in sanctions designed to hobble the Putin regime by granting one of Moscow’s biggest banks an “absurd” month-long exemption from the enforcement of an assets freeze....the Treasury unit in charge of enforcing the UK’s sanctions quietly issued a 30-day licence granting permission for any individual or entity to “wind down any transactions” with VTB until 27 March.

I would imagine that for average sized companies doing business in Russia (I think some posters have even mentioned working for some) immediately cutting all banking ties may need some sort or grace period to wind things down. But I am a complete layman so I'm probably completely wrong!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

The law firms thing has been explained away as nonsense by those who have worked in that arena. If the government seriously wanted to sanction them the law firms wouldn't be able to do much.

I mean, it's funny how the government are unable to override the "law" when it suits them.

I've been thinking back to this. Ordinarily, I'm very much concerned about the government making snap decisions, ignoring their own laws, trampling over the law courts etc.

In this case, it seems like we want them to be able to sanction the oligarchs immediately. But does that in fact run counter to my previous paragraph? Where in the lines of all this is the distinction between "seize assets of probable supporters of a warlord" and something crazy like "seize all assets from Muslims because there has been a terrorist attack" for instance.

I don't really want a government that can act without oversight... But then in times of war...

Not really sure how to square all of this.

Probably would be easier to process if we didn't have such a bumbling useless oaf in charge.

Just doing a bit of history revision around the reasons Germany invaded Poland to trigger WW2 - it doesn't make for comfortable reading:-

"Germany accused Poland of committing atrocities on Germans living there. Hitler had long planned an invasion of Poland, a nation to which Great Britain and France had guaranteed military support "

36 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Finding it all depressing today. While sanctions and supplies are all we can realistically do for now we need to wait months for the seriousness of them to start having a serious impact. A long few months for Ukrainian people/kids. Is this just the beginning of WW3 by proxy? I know we need to avoid all out West vs East war but man, we all know Russia wants that and I can’t help but feel they will eventually get it at all costs. It’s all messing with my head. 

First they came….

Are we doing the sanctions though ?

Boris has previous for saying one thing and doing another.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kingman said:

So the Russian convoy is 3 or 4 deep circa 50 miles in length and currently stationery. 

To me thats what you call sitting ducks, Just send in the Airforce and Nuke the **** words removed 

The American military probably need to restrain themselves when they see it just sitting there and so badly wants to take it out. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I honestly wish I could go and do Putin in myself, absolute coward. 

All I want in life is to earn a bit of cash by working hard, make my wife happy and see my kids laugh. But no, along has to come stuff that 'normal' people who harbor no hate, crazy ideologies or weird fascination with the past, have no choice or say in. It is a joke to be honest and I will be opening a bottle of champagne the day I hear that prat is eating dirt. 

Turn the telly/internet off.

Take your wife and kids on a nice day out.  Don't factor in your demise - dont waste days worrying what might happen in future. on that day out focus totally on that day. none of us knows what the future holds. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Kingman said:

No one is sure why they are just letting that convoy just sit there, when they are basically coming to level Kiev. It's as strange a situation like when Villa let Glenn Whelan take that penalty. 🤣

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Don't they consider themselves independent? With their own currency and courts and stuff?

*I should point out that I didn't know Transnistria existed until Saturday.

I’ve been there … as you leave Moldova to enter , you do have to stop and show your passport , but they don’t stamp it , they give you a piece of paper instead (see photo)

it does have its own currency , you aren’t legally allowed to use it or even own but of course I own some and used it :)

You can see some Russian money has been spent there to make it more attractive than Moldova and maintain the influence but I didn’t see any Russian troops etc in the town

Our guide took us on a brewery tour , it would have made a health and safety officer weep , exposed live wires everywhere , wander where you want , stick you head in the vats  , the bottling machine broke and it was literally fixed by a man whacking it with a stick as we watched on … the free beer at the end was good though

50FC55A1-DDFC-434B-8412-1A56613FA87D.jpeg

E0F53D67-0AE9-4E9D-98CC-F98D5025B87F.jpeg

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, magnkarl said:

And just imagine the chaos in the convoy, how do you move people/material up a road blocked with 4000 pieces of armor/cars/trucks/artillery? Once the head gets attacked, it's still like 6 hours from half way up the convoy to the front..

Tis what did for operation market garden ultimately 

47 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I would imagine that for average sized companies doing business in Russia (I think some posters have even mentioned working for some) immediately cutting all banking ties may need some sort or grace period to wind things down. But I am a complete layman so I'm probably completely wrong!

That’s what it says in the article @blandy linked to, the Americans are doing the same thing for the same reason.

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'd say Bulgaria are with us too, seeing that the RAF including a Eurofighter Typhoon is flying over there airspace.

Bulgaria has been in Nato since 2004

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â