Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

4 Separate Operational Commands

The more worrying thing is that the Russians appear to want to invade Moldova (or Transnistria at least) from Odessa if you look at the Black Sea

Transnistria considers themselves part of Russia so it looks like Moldova will get the Ukraine treatment next. 

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Transnistria considers themselves part of Russia so it looks like Moldova will get the Ukraine treatment next. 

Don't they consider themselves independent? With their own currency and courts and stuff?

*I should point out that I didn't know Transnistria existed until Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Transnistria is only approx 30% Russian. 

I think that's the biggest group though isn't it? 

Here's hoping it stays 30% Russian and doesn't wake up one morning in March to find it's become 60% Russian.

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

4 Separate Operational Commands

The more worrying thing is that the Russians appear to want to invade Moldova (or Transnistria at least) from Odessa if you look at the Black Sea

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Iirc the Russians have a presence in Transistria already. The initial build up of forces on the Ukrainian border had a small group on the border in Moldova.

Yes, I think the point is it shows an attack *from* Transnistria.

On the other hand, who knows if this thing is real at all, not great opsec to have a photo in front of it.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Don't they consider themselves independent? With their own currency and courts and stuff?

*I should point out that I didn't know Transnistria existed until Saturday.

It's a large mix of peoples, but like 60% are Russian / Ukrainian. They didn't want to be a minority in a Moldova that joined with Romania and that's what the brief war in 1991 was about. It's been a self administered region with peace keeping troops from Russia there. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Here's hoping it stays 30% Russian and doesn't wake up one morning in March to find it's become Russian.

Fixed.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Here's hoping it stays 30% Russian and doesn't wake up one morning in March to find it's become 60% Russian.

Well they did "ask" to be annexed when Crimea was annexed. It's the desired aim of the current government there. So I imagine Putin will take them on board in whatever the southern region of Ukraine becomes

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Well they did "ask" to be annexed when Crimea was annexed. It's the desired aim of the current government there. So I imagine Putin will take them on board in whatever the southern region of Ukraine becomes

Gently smoking rubble?

• Like 1

If you go to time stamp 8:54 you can see the ethnic and language mix of Ukraine. After that you can see Pro Russian votes by region also. So you can see where Putin probably feels he can set up Pro Russian buffer states and where he probably cant. So the division of Ukraine into 2 / 3 "independent" states seems most likely outcome for now.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If you go to time stamp 8:54 you can see the ethnic and language mix of Ukraine. After that you can see Pro Russian votes by region also. So you can see where Putin probably feels he can set up Pro Russian buffer states and where he probably cant. So the division of Ukraine into 2 / 3 "independent" states seems most likely outcome for now.

No, the West is not to blame for Ukraine, just like the rest of the world weren’t to blame for the Anschluss. That is Galloway level bs.

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

No, the West is not to blame for Ukraine, just like the rest of the world weren’t to blame for the Anschluss. That is Galloway level bs.

If you watch the whole video, that's the conclusion - That Putin is to blame and not the West.  Especially his decision to annex Crimea.

• Like 1

Well one thing about the ethinicity chat is that Stalin did a whole lot of **** on that score. He ethnically cleansed Crimea in 1946, and other places before and after. The idea that Crimea is "Russian" ignores the fact that the indigenous people all got taken to Siberia and put in camps or were made to make the road of bones and other such fun stuff.

Same with loads of these places that get touted as having x% russian speaking populations. It's happened inside the last 80 years and it was done by force. 

• Like 2

Boris might have not handled the Covid crisis the best, but I have to admit he is certainly in his prime at the moment on this war with his speeches and diplomacy. Although he has always wanted to be the next Churchill, of the 21st century.

I totally agree with his comeback to the Ukranian women in the video. We cannot enforce a no fly zone and start shooting down Russians, that;s just not a option, or where we want to be going.

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Well one thing about the ethinicity chat is that Stalin did a whole lot of **** on that score. He ethnically cleansed Crimea in 1946, and other places before and after. The idea that Crimea is "Russian" ignores the fact that the indigenous people all got taken to Siberia and put in camps or were made to make the road of bones and other such fun stuff.

Same with loads of these places that get touted as having x% russian speaking populations. It's happened inside the last 80 years and it was done by force. 

It's not that anybody is 'ignoring' it, it's that it doesn't matter to the prospect of a solution. Unfortunately we need to deal with the world as it is, not as it was pre-Stalin.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's not that anybody is 'ignoring' it, it's that it doesn't matter to the prospect of a solution. Unfortunately we need to deal with the world as it is, not as it was pre-Stalin.

Yeah but it kind of goes along with the Russian propaganda that these places are "Russian" they aren't, the people who spoke Russian that got moved in will all have a granddad who's parents lived in a totally different part of Russia. The fact there are russian speakers there does no in any way make mean they are part of Russia.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â