Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

43 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

so now it appears that FIS is the only sport body in the world that won't see reason.

Not true, there's at least the International Paralympic Committee

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

I don't know about anyone else but as irrational as it sounds I wish the West would just front Putin now. He's a bully that has cut his nose to spite his face just to prove a point. A narcissist that doesn't give a shit what sanctions hit his country in the short term. The pain or suffering he puts his own people through.  A rat that makes threats to others whilst beating up the weak. He is everything that is wrong with this world we live in.  

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Premier League rights in Russia are owned by a company called Match TV. Match TV is owned by Gazprom.

No news from the Premier league on those right now.

The United statement about Aeroflot the other day didn't even mention Russias conduct 🙄

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I don't know about anyone else but as irrational as it sounds I wish the West would just front Putin now. He's a bully that has cut his nose to spite his face just to prove a point. A narcissist that doesn't give a shit what sanctions hit his country in the short term. The pain or suffering he puts his own people through.  A rat that makes threats to others whilst beating up the weak. He is everything that is wrong with this world we live in.  

trouble is we can't be sure there is another Vasili Arkhipov or Stanislav Petrov out there in the Russian military  ... Ok , its doubtful Putin would order a nuclear launch straight off the bat , but  he seems to be giving off indications that he would order a launch  .. I don't think the West is quite ready for that scenario jut yet .

25 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

It's a deterrent imo. I don't think Russia will try to take Kyiv. They will however stop reinforcements from getting to Kharkiv and any of the northern and south eastern cities. I can see them surrounding Kyiv into submission whilst they watch the fall of a huge part of the country. Putin wont leave until he has land between Russia and the west. 

Putin loves playing these games.  

Of course Russia wants Kyiv. They want to take over the mechanisms of the state and assassinate president zelensky. It would force the Ukrainian government to go into exile in probably either Talinn or Warsaw. Putin would then want to install a puppet  pro russian government in who would agree to a ceasefire, announce that they would never join the EU and Nato and demilitarise the eastern half of the country. That would satisfy countries like China who will tend start trading with them, and he would try to suck up the flack from the west.

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

trouble is we can't be sure there is another Vasili Arkhipov or Stanislav Petrov out there in the Russian military  ... Ok , its doubtful Putin would order a nuclear launch straight off the bat , but  he seems to be giving off indications that he would order a launch  .. I don't think the West is quite ready for that scenario jut yet .

I agree. It does grind me though when bullies are allowed to do what they want because they know the threat of what they may do stops others intervening. Typical bully tactics. 

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But we're also reporting that Russia doesn't have a clear control of the skies over Ukraine at this point. 

Something about the convoy doesn't add up.

No I doubt they have control of the airspace over the whole of Ukraine yet but you can be sure they will have control of the airspace over that convoy. 

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Of course Russia wants Kyiv. They want to take over the mechanisms of the state and assassinate president zelensky. It would force the Ukrainian government to go into exile in probably either Talinn or Warsaw. Putin would then want to install a puppet  pro russian government in who would agree to a ceasefire, announce that they would never join the EU and Nato and demilitarise the eastern half of the country. That would satisfy countries like China who will tend start trading with them, and he would try to suck up the flack from the west.

I  think you are seriously underestimating how hard it will be to take Kyiv. Months at the very least. They will either have to level the city or they will get massively bogged down in urban warfare. They will not be able to take the city with missiles and tanks alone and will need to commit thousands of ground troops. 

26 minutes ago, sne said:

They are probably hoping a war will bring in a new batch of athletes for them.

Yes I know, in very bad taste.

I don’t know, as a joke it’s got legs.

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

No I doubt they have control of the airspace over the whole of Ukraine yet but you can be sure they will have control of the airspace over that convoy. 

Possibly - but I guess the whole thing with this convoy is it brings up more question than it answers.

It's presented as a forty mile convoy, seventeen miles from Kyiv and marching on it - it hasn't travelled an inch apparently in twenty four hours. Russia doesn't have control of the skies because the Ukranians are boldly and bravely holding them off, but might have control over this little bit, right in the middle of the country, next to the capital. So much so in fact that they've decided not to move any of the 3,000+ vehicles in the convoy out of harms way. None of it makes any sense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Possibly - but I guess the whole thing with this convoy is it brings up more question than it answers.

It's presented as a forty mile convoy, seventeen miles from Kyiv and marching on it - it hasn't travelled an inch apparently in twenty four hours. Russia doesn't have control of the skies because the Ukranians are boldly and bravely holding them off, but might have control over this little bit, right in the middle of the country, next to the capital. So much so in fact that they've decided not to move any of the 3,000+ vehicles in the convoy out of harms way. None of it makes any sense.

Yep, I agree completely. Not much about this makes sense, unless the convoy has run out of petrol in which it would be hilarious.

That however does pose the question, why haven’t the Ukrainians blown part of it up yet?

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I  think you are seriously underestimating how hard it will be to take Kyiv. Months at the very least. They will either have to level the city or they will get massively bogged down in urban warfare. They will not be able to take the city with missiles and tanks alone and will need to commit thousands of ground troops. 

Yes. They will have to take it street by street but that is what Putin seems to be hell-belt in wanting. It will be horrific.

A whole bunch of foreign players and managers have started to leave their Russian clubs. Happening in both football and ice hockey. More will follow, it just needed someone to start it.

The Russian ice hockey league the KHL will implode, Finnish side Jokerit and 1 Latvian side Dinamo Riga has already left. Guess the Belarus club will remain but no idea about the Chinese club or the Kazakh club.

League is smack full of foreign star players who will likely want out, although they are on massive contracts compared to what they would get in Sweden, Finland or Czechia.

From what I can gather drones operate at extremely high altitude and are extremely difficult to take out so you would think there would be at least some strikes on it. 

Maybe anti missile systems could just take out whatever the drones fire in so its just not worth it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, sidcow said:

From what I can gather drones operate at extremely high altitude and are extremely difficult to take out so you would think there would be at least some strikes on it. 

Maybe anti missile systems could just take out whatever the drones fire in so its just not worth it. 

Couldn't Ukranian troops just sneak close to the front of the queue, hide in nearby fields or bushes with those Javelin/NLAW/RPG things and blow them up one by one?

Maybe that's what they are already doing.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â