Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, I was thinking this. 

It's going to be brutal there tonight 😔

It is so surreal and tragic. There is video of a woman with her legs blown off. Apparently the ICC is opening a war crimes investigation of Putin and his army brass. I'd love to see him in shackles at the Hague.

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

We still need to be filtering the news and pictures.

I understand its good for morale, but the Russians are being ‘battered’ everywhere they advance. We’re shown clips of drone strikes, but also told there is a 40 mile column of vehicles travelling slowly down the road.

It’s a mixed picture. We’re all on the same side. But it’s not really that rosey. Putin isn’t going to stop on day 10 because the middle classes can’t get Netflix and the bank account is looking a bit down.

• Like 3

Just now, maqroll said:

It is so surreal and tragic. There is video of a woman with her legs blown off. Apparently the ICC is opening a war crimes investigation of Putin and his army brass. I'd love to see him in shackles at the Hague.

I imagine Russia will do just like the US and not acknowledge the ICC

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Even if russia takes over ukraine who the hell is rebuiding the country after this? The russians wont be able to afford it after all these sanctions. 

The Russians will be fighting against a bloody insurgency while they occupy the country. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Surprised a drone hasn't taken out that convoy considering they've been releasing footage of other drone strikes

Convey will have massive air cover. Anything approaching it will be taken out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Doubtful, the pre-prepared articles in Russian media published 26.2 shows that propaganda was already prepped for Russia winning in a day. They've severely underestimated Ukraine and are now paying a dear price in life, material and sanctions. The longer Ukraine holds out the more bankrupt Russia will get. I bet Putin did not think that even Switzerland would sanction them, that Turkey would close Bosporos, that China would turn their back and that Russian armor would be this useless. 

Yeah Putin assumed he'd invade, the Ukranians wouldn't put up a fight they can't win and the Ukraine government would flee to the west. This allows him to install a new Government that's Pro Russian and the people maybe have some protests and they can be cracked down on. 

What he's got is fierce resistance. A Ukranian Government who are heroic. A populace who are armed to fight in the streets and dig in. No real path to installing a Government as they will need to be supported by Russian occupation forces. So plan B must be to take Ukrainian territory in the east where at least there are Russian sepratists who can attempt to administer it. Then try to get a demilatarised zone in a ceasefire. 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The Russians will be fighting against a bloody insurgency while they occupy the country. 

Absolutely.  This war just seems to be absolutely pointless.  It destroys ukraine, costs russia a significant amount in money, weapons and soliders what do they gain out of it?

The Ukrainians are never going to accept russia after this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Absolutely.  This war just seems to be absolutely pointless.  It destroys ukraine, costs russia a significant amount in money, weapons and soliders what do they gain out of it?

In Putins calculations though he could take Ukraine back for the Pro Russian side and reverse the last decade. Now it's about taking enough Ukrainian territory and encircling major cities to give him a strong hand in peace talks. He'll want Crimea for Russia and the Donbas to be independent. Ukraine will have to accept that in the end.

54 minutes ago, sne said:

Never been a war where civilians have not been caught in the crossfire or "acceptable casualties"

War is always hell.

Edit: Fwiw this strike seem to be more in line with the rumors that Russia are targeting the leading government figures trying to take them out.

The 400 Wagner Group mercenaries that supposedly are in Kiev sabotaging stuff and with orders to assassinate Zelenskyy is bad news if true.

Wagner group is used to operating in disorganised Middle Eastern countries, they're likely one of the many saboteurs and Russian infiltrators that have already been killed, captured or glued to a lamppost.

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

I’d take those numbers with a big pinch of salt, but if even remotely accurate then it’s mightily impressive (in terms of war, obviously needless loss of life is an enormous tragedy).

• Like 2

Apparently a popular “hub based” adult website has blocked content in Russia and instead displays a Ukraine flag and message of support. 
That might filter through to more people than are willing to admit.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d take those numbers with a big pinch of salt, but if even remotely accurate then it’s mightily impressive (in terms of war, obviously needless loss of life is an enormous tragedy).

True, you can probably cut at least the 'dead soldiers' bit in half, the amount of ruined tanks and vehicles is starting to become a big thing though.

If the above figures are right, Ukraine has managed to knock out 3% of Russias helicopters and 8% of Russias armored fighting vehicles amongst other things. Every time they knock out one of Russia's new weaponry they are severely damaging Russian economy as they won't be able to replace i.e the SU-35's, the BUK's or any of the newer equipment. The backfill potential is much larger for Ukraine as Turkey, EU and NATO are all pumping in weapons every hour.

image.png.254b0ccaba44281141926c56263a0c86.png

You can also disregard much of the subs and boats as these won't get through Bosporos, and a lot of Russia's armored capability is stored in massive stockpiles which would need months of refurbishment before being usable again.

Edited by magnkarl

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Most wars are.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

worse as i dont think anyone is, or the puppet state they inevitably set up in ukraine should they "win"

they get away with belarus because not enough people care, when they do the same in ukraine it wont wash

the worry should be for those that like to compare him to hitler is that hitler went for the oil a couple of years in to the war and stretched himself too far, you could say putin has gone for the oil first...

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I hope my theory is wrong, but it's entirely possible Russia wanted to go in, make a mess, start a war, end enter yesterday's negotiations with "you have not seen anything just yet". 

I think I have a timeline,  it will all be done before the 5th in Putin's head.
Only becasue their stock market is off until then in Russia.  They will turn it on when the drop of 40% will be reduced as the violence should have stopped as Ukraine will be surrounded.
They will count on a cease fire of sorts to fix the stocks / currency.

The currency is shot to ****.  Trading at >100 to 1 dollar.  That's almost worthless.

Interest rates at 20% but the money is flowing out the banks as fast as they put it in.

Normal Russians wont feel it yet but they will.  Putin will think a cease fire on the 3rd or 4th March will sort the money side out.  This will not work.  He may be able to occupy a neighbor short term,  if he tries long term he and the Russian economy is finished as it is currently.  With no access to their assets abroad and with Gas / Oil sales now viewed as dirty money,  all the doors are going to shut.  They literally have nothing the world wants anymore.  Europe can't continue to buy oil/gas from them anyway,  they are an unreliable partner who can easily be classed as a terrorist organization as oppose to a country.  Basic company / country governance should prohibit the purchase of goods from Russia now anyway.  Just pretend the pipelines have been blown up and the move to other sources is to be completed as soon as possible anyway.  If this goes on for 1 year plus the lights might actually go off in Moscow.

Negotiate but give them nothing, maybe Crimea is the only thing to give (He has it already)

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â