Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

16 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The Ukrainian soldiers are taking the piss out the Russians. I've seen a photo this morning of a Russian wrapped in clingfilm to a streetlighting column. Psychological warfare next level.

Link please!!

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

21 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I missed that. Apologies. I am doing a lot of shooting myself in the foot at the moment. 

Doesn't your contract run out soon, A Mr V Putin has an opening you may be interested in. You seem eminently qualified

• Haha 1

I find Russia's approach to all of this completely baffling. I'm the first to admit that my knowledge of how to successfully invade a country is next to 0, but their strategy just hasn't made any sense and it makes you really wonder how strong Russia really are? 

They seem to be losing the fight in the air, losing the fight on the ground and their soldiers don't appear to even know what they're doing. 

39 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

physiologically that must be hell for the ground troops , knowing that you can essentially be picked off any time , any place without any real warning by someone with a laptop miles away 

It's psychologically hell for the people operating the drones too.

My mate is in the RAF and when I was at his wedding I got chatting to one of his colleagues. He was about to start operating drones to hit targets in Afghanistan. He said it was literally done from a room with an XBox controller. An actual XBox controller.

He said he was really struggling with the concept of operating in that way and killing people. 
At least when you're in the field it's a case of them or us. Even if you're flying jets.

But effectively playing a video game that kills people just made it feel horrible

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm not sure Russians soldiers or citizens are ready to follow Putin into WW3. Most Russians will know by now what is really going on. Interesting though how Putin has closed off Red Square and any access to Government buildings. He is obviously concerned about his own people. 

Absolutely, it’s critical the west does everything it can to keep Ukraine in the fight. Russia still has many uncommitted battle groups and a major breakthrough could see the situation change quickly for the worse. If Ukrainian forces can get to 10 days and still be in relatively good shape the Russians have a real problem. 14 days and they might have a new leader. 

They absolutely should have air superiority. They've got so many more airplanes at their disposal. Are anti aircraft missile's genuinely that good that you can virtually clear the skies?

The worrying thing is it seems that ICBM's are the only genuinely effective weapon these days.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

They absolutely should have air superiority. They've got so many more airplanes at their disposal. Are anti aircraft missile's genuinely that good that you can virtually clear the skies?

The worrying thing is it seems that ICBM's are the only genuinely effective weapon these days.

For now it seems that the long hailed "best aircraft of its generation", the SU35, has been shot down by an old soviet aa battery over Kiev, Russia reportedly has 103 of these (propaganda numbers), in reality they probably don't have many at all, and they don't seem the wonderweapons that they've been claimed to be. Most of the jets that I'm seeing pictures of are MiG29's or 30's. Modern batteries from EU/NATO make toast out of MIG's.

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think Putin is worried about losing expensive aircraft and I don't think he wants to bomb the cities yet

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I find Russia's approach to all of this completely baffling. I'm the first to admit that my knowledge of how to successfully invade a country is next to 0, but their strategy just hasn't made any sense and it makes you really wonder how strong Russia really are? 

They seem to be losing the fight in the air, losing the fight on the ground and their soldiers don't appear to even know what they're doing. 

I doubt the Russian soldiers, irrespective of how well trained and armed they are, or not, are really bought in to this war. I doubt they’re particularly desperate to shoot and kill their neighbours.

Don’t forget; there’s been no provocation from Ukraine, Russia itself is not under threat, much like the US soldiers in Vietnam they more than likely are questioning why they are even there.

Im not a soldier, I’ve never served in the military, I have no idea what it must be like to be involved in a war, but I’d imagine that in order to do terrible things to people you really need to hate them.

• Like 1

Wonder what will happen and how the Ukrainian people and the world will react if it's true about the Wagner group mercenaries being in Kiev already and if they succeed in taking out Zelenskyy.

No doubt he will become a martyr but what will actually happen, absolutely no going back if this happens. Obviously really hope it doesn't.

Edited by sne
typo

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I doubt the Russian soldiers, irrespective of how well trained and armed they are, or not, are really bought in to this war. I doubt they’re particularly desperate to shoot and kill their neighbours.

Don’t forget; there’s been no provocation from Ukraine, Russia itself is not under threat, much like the US soldiers in Vietnam they more than likely are questioning why they are even there.

Im not a soldier, I’ve never served in the military, I have no idea what it must be like to be involved in a war, but I’d imagine that in order to do terrible things to people you really need to hate them.

Neither have I.

But you just 'do' -  

Its why conscripts in any country are really young - like 19 - you put then through basic training as much to break there spirit as get them fit. Someone shouts you just do - there isn't time to think and hesitate. 

China is probably learning an awful lot by watching this. Not all good from our point of view - they’ll be making sure they aren’t as vulnerable to sanctions going forwards now they’ve seen the Russian central bank getting sanctioned - but I imagine more than a few generals might be checking their assumptions when it comes to an invasion of Taiwan.

I found it very interesting that Germany increased its military spending and the amount it funds Nato yesterday. I guess it’s kind of the obvious move, but I wonder if we, and other countries will follow suit. 

Putin’s aim was to somehow weaken Nato with this invasion, but he is probably going to end up making it stronger/more heavily funded than ever. 

I imagine Ukraine will fall at some point, but hopefully this continues to play out extremely painfully for Putin. 

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I found it very interesting that Germany increased its military spending and the amount it funds Nato yesterday. I guess it’s kind of the obvious move, but I wonder if we, and other countries will follow suit. 

Putin’s aim was to somehow weaken Nato with this invasion, but he is probably going to end up making it stronger/more heavily funded than ever. 

I imagine Ukraine will fall at some point, but hopefully this continues to play out extremely painfully for Putin. 

the data may be a little out of date but  % spending is shown here

The number of NATO nations meeting or exceeding the alliance's target of spending 2% of their gross domestic product (GDP) on defence has decreased, according to the latest official estimates.

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I guess it’s kind of the obvious move, but I wonder if we, and other countries will follow suit.

We were already at that level, the Germans had been underpaying for years

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Don't think so, Germany was under the 2% that Nato request, this move catches up with everyone else 

They've also fast tracked 2 huge LNG projects in the north, my company was looking at one of them and was expecting up to 5 years of red tape, olaf cut through all of it yesterday and just said get it built

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â