Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Yes it will be refused, because it would be taken (fairly) as a declaration of war on Russia. 

Very true but there is no way putin is starting a war with turkey (i know your not saying this just saying generally). That would be a massive war that they would probably lose. Turkey have a absolutely gigantic army

Erdogan isnt scared of anyone. I do expect though the request will be turned down as they have allies with Russia 

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Very true but there is no way putin is starting a war with turkey (i know your not saying this just saying generally). That would be a massive war that they would probably lose. Turkey have a absolutely gigantic army

Erdogan isnt scared of anyone. I do expect though the request will be turned down as they have allies with Russia 

Turkey is a member of NATO

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

You can't help yourself. you're arguing with someone who literally does this shit for a job

How can you tell it's a argument over the internet?? It's not a argument, it was a suggestion?

An I don't do that shit for a job no, but I'm no mugg! I am from technical background with a motor manufacturer, so can tell you most new cars now run telemetry and I could also tell if you have a car from the company I work for, where you are anywhere in the country and the status of the car, even operate the camera (if it has one) breaking gdpr rules ofcourse. A customer can also have that function turned off. So I would have thought aircraft have it too. Not that it would make a lot of difference, as I have said!

Just now, foreveryoung said:

How can you tell it's a argument over the internet?? It's not a argument, it was a suggestion?

An I don't do that shit for a job no, but I'm no mugg! I am from technical background with a motor manufacturer, so can tell you most new cars now run telemetry and I could also tell if you have a car from the company I work for, where you are anywhere in the country and the status of the car, even operate the camera (if it has one) breaking gdpr rules ofcourse. A customer can also have that function turned off. So I would have thought aircraft have it too. Not that it would make a lot of difference, as I have said!

Would you like a spade? or maybe a JCB?

33 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s really really not credible. It is true that some (extremely niche) military hardware is built with anti tamper mechanisms embedded within it, but that kind of kit won’t be anywhere near in possession or use by any Russian entity.

Airbus and Boeing airliners and cargo planes will not have that sort of kit installed.

Secondly the notion of remotely “turning off” software in aircraft is also highly fanciful in this case. Again while there are niche techniques for proximate actors to interfere with aircraft systems electro-magnetically, there is not, as far as I am aware any method to remotely disable (say) a mission computer, flight control computer, fuel system computer or etc. These units are stand alone LRIs, they are not connected to the internet or off-board networks.

Lastly, remotely disabling safety critical systems could kill people, innocent people. The aircraft could be airborne, it could crash on whoever.

oh, and I’m entirely unsure Russia has any Boeing or Airbus aircraft anyway. There’s no way on earth US ITAR and EAR would allow it for Boeing, and the UK and Europe also have strict export control regulations (law) around Dual use and military tech.

Not a Boeing / Airbus thing or a remote switch but I referred to my friend a few days ago and the company he works for do potentially have the capability to deny access to some flight systems to the Russian airlines … exactly what I couldn’t say for certainty but I got the impression this denial could ground their fleet….France are the only other country with an alternative system  , so presumably Russia couldn’t get around it … but as of last week it was merely discussions to work out if they can lock Russia out the system  , it didn’t seem cut and dried 

Aeroflot have over 100 airbus and Boeing in their fleet , S7 also operate them … guess sanctions could mean spare parts are not available and ground them ?

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sorry to quote myself here, but I don't think Turkey is doing this; Zelenskyy's tweet seems to be thanking Erdogan for closing the strait to Russian ships but I think it's actually a request, which will be refused. 

Saw a video on it on B1M YouTube channel a few months back on how Turkey is building a waterway around it in Istanbul for economic reasons because they'll have more control over it and can charge ships for using it, the international pact they have which gives them control over the bosphorus is something like the montreux agreement and means that it has to stay open unless they are at war with Russia or feel threatened by Russia 

I don't think they can close the strait because Russia is at war with someone else, they'll be in violation of the pact

Will be interesting though 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bickster said:

You can't help yourself. you're arguing with someone who literally does this shit for a job

I think you misheard , his boss actually said he does a shit job :) 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The Germans have done a reverse ferret and agreed to send 1000 ATGM and 500 Stingers to Ukraine. Poles are sending columns of ammunition, the Slovaks, Czechs and French are getting in on the act too. Big day, big change, great news. The more and the faster the better. It’s now everything but direct combat with Russia for all of Europe & N America. 

Meanwhile just saw on Sky News some middle aged female bank manager with kids signing up to fight in Dnipro. Putin’s gonna lose. 

32 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It’s ok. Respect to your motor industry background. All contributions welcome. We’re all interested in hoping the best for Ukraine and understanding how things might play out. I didn’t take it as an argument, but my buddy @bickster knows my line of work. Doesn’t mean I can’t be wrong, mind because it’s happened twice before 😜

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s ok. Respect to your motor industry background. All contributions welcome. We’re all interested in hoping the best for Ukraine and understanding how things might play out. I didn’t take it as an argument, but my buddy @bickster knows my line of work. Doesn’t mean I can’t be wrong, mind because it’s happened twice before 😜

Once when you poured toffee sauce over a steak pie but I don’t think I was present at the other one  :) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, blandy said:

No problem, can't send anymore reactions, but if I could it' be the one with the trophey 😀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Awol said:

The Germans have done a reverse ferret and agreed to send 1000 ATGM and 500 Stingers to Ukraine. Poles are sending columns of ammunition, the Slovaks, Czechs and French are getting in on the act too. Big day, big change, great news. The more and the faster the better. It’s now everything but direct combat with Russia for all of Europe & N America. 

Meanwhile just saw on Sky News some middle aged female bank manager with kids signing up to fight in Dnipro. Putin’s gonna lose. 

Dutch also sending anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles to Ukraine

I guess what we should hope for at this point is that the Ukrainian resistance, supported by what should be an almost unlimited supply line from Europe and the US, is almost immediately persuasive.

It would be great if the Russians were to back out almost immediately, no one wants a months long conflict where tens of thousands die.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess what we should hope for at this point is that the Ukrainian resistance, supported by what should be an almost unlimited supply line from Europe and the US, is almost immediately persuasive.

It would be great if the Russians were to back out almost immediately, no one wants a months long conflict where tens of thousands die.

Absolutely, which will require a Palace Coup in Moscow. The people who might do that need to know there is road to redemption with the  international community, post-Putin. I’d hope that’s getting serious attention behind the scenes. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â