• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It looks like the Javelin tank missile is American. Uk had a ground to air missile called Javelin which is now obsolete 

The UK has sent several thousand NLAWs which are shorter range than the Javelin - perfect for the urban environment. 

Hoping to see much of this coming out of European NATO though. Stingers and Javelins are the tools they need

Just now, maqroll said:

Yes, but such a move would ostensibly trigger said military action.

Putin says it would, I somehow think the reality is a little different. The Finns are highly trained, well funded and big in numbers, including well practised reservists, their wartime strength is some 280.000. Even their border guards become a home defence force in war

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Putin says it would, I somehow think the reality is a little different. The Finns are highly trained, well funded and big in numbers, including well practised reservists, their wartime strength is some 280.000. Even their border guards become a home defence force in war

Finland is the most well trained defensive army in Europe. They even did a YouTube video on how they’d beat Russia..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Assuming that Turkey is actually going to do this, it's quite a big deal: it was demanded earlier by Ukraine but resisted by NATO members on the fear that closing the Bosphorus would be seen as a declaration of war on Russia.

Sorry to quote myself here, but I don't think Turkey is doing this; Zelenskyy's tweet seems to be thanking Erdogan for closing the strait to Russian ships but I think it's actually a request, which will be refused. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sorry to quote myself here, but I don't think Turkey is doing this; Zelenskyy's tweet seems to be thanking Erdogan for closing the strait to Russian ships but I think it's actually a request, which will be refused. 

Yes it will be refused, because it would be taken (fairly) as a declaration of war on Russia. 

• Like 1

Journalist reporting from Russia saying Russian state media aren’t showing any reporting on the conflict , no mention of casualties etc 

His feeling from discussions with sources  , is that Putin has miscalculated but unlikely to back down or withdraw , said the hope is that Putin is taken out from inside 

5 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Also Boeing and airbus have likely turned off their software in Russian planes right now as per the sanctions. 

That’s really really not credible. It is true that some (extremely niche) military hardware is built with anti tamper mechanisms embedded within it, but that kind of kit won’t be anywhere near in possession or use by any Russian entity.

Airbus and Boeing airliners and cargo planes will not have that sort of kit installed.

Secondly the notion of remotely “turning off” software in aircraft is also highly fanciful in this case. Again while there are niche techniques for proximate actors to interfere with aircraft systems electro-magnetically, there is not, as far as I am aware any method to remotely disable (say) a mission computer, flight control computer, fuel system computer or etc. These units are stand alone LRIs, they are not connected to the internet or off-board networks.

Lastly, remotely disabling safety critical systems could kill people, innocent people. The aircraft could be airborne, it could crash on whoever.

oh, and I’m entirely unsure Russia has any Boeing or Airbus aircraft anyway. There’s no way on earth US ITAR and EAR would allow it for Boeing, and the UK and Europe also have strict export control regulations (law) around Dual use and military tech.

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s really really not credible. It is true that some (extremely niche) military hardware is built with anti tamper mechanisms embedded within it, but that kind of kit won’t be anywhere near in possession or use by any Russian entity.

Airbus and Boeing airliners and cargo planes will not have that sort of kit installed.

Secondly the notion of remotely “turning off” software in aircraft is also highly fanciful in this case. Again while there are niche techniques for proximate actors to interfere with aircraft systems electro-magnetically, there is not, as far as I am aware any method to remotely disable (say) a mission computer, flight control computer, fuel system computer or etc. These units are stand alone LRIs, they are not connected to the internet or off-board networks.

Lastly, remotely disabling safety critical systems could kill people, innocent people. The aircraft could be airborne, it could crash on whoever.

oh, and I’m entirely unsure Russia has any Boeing or Airbus aircraft anyway. There’s no way on earth US ITAR and EAR would allow it for Boeing, and the UK and Europe also have strict export control regulations (law) around Dual use and military tech.

They may have turned the telemetry off, so as not to monitor there systems, but I doubt it would benefit anyone.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They may have turned the telemetry off, so as not to monitor there systems, but I doubt it would benefit anyone.

You can't help yourself. you're arguing with someone who literally does this shit for a job

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â