Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not trying to police the conversation, and it's really nice to see you back on here, but I honestly don't think this kind of threat inflation is a good idea. Absolutely nothing has been said by Russia about these countries; these countries are NATO members; an attack on them would potentially or even likely be the beginning of a shooting war with Russia with a chance of leading to nuclear armageddon.

I think it's better, on the whole, to just stick with what's actually happening. That's bad enough.

You're right.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

51 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Putin will go for the Baltic states next.

He can't they're part of Nato so it causes WW3. His aim is to stop the expansion of Nato as he knows he can't attack a Nato country as the US and the rest of Nato would declare war on Russia

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tinker said:

Mmm have you seen the troop numbers in the surrounding UN countries? I have just seen 5000 more being sent to Poland. Not very threatening. As with any bully they will push until they are stopped. Putin has made it clear he wants UN membership to go back to its pre 1997 levels, that's Poland , Croatia and plenty of other east European countries that are being threatened, I'm not sure this will finish with the Ukraine, I hope it will but unless large forces are stationed on the border I can see incursions. Worrying times. 

But they are part of Nato, any attack on them and the USA and the rest of Nato declare war on Russia. Ukraine isn't part of Nato so Putin can invade it. 

55 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Good to see in the UK there are still two legitimate political parties  In the USA we have the vile fascist Republicans who are, you guessed it, siding with Putin against Biden. Makes me want to vomit.

That actually worries me more long term than what we are currently seeing. 

The republicans seem intent on destroying democracy. What that potentially does to the rest of the world really scares me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

That actually worries me more long term than what we are currently seeing. 

The republicans seem intent on destroying democracy. What that potentially does to the rest of the world really scares me. 

Agreed this rise of nationalism doesn't have a great record for peace and harmony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

It was shameful when Germany refused to allow the export of weapons to Ukraine, then they got huge kudos for halting certification on an extra pipeline that doesn’t affect their supply of gas. Now they are trying to keep Russia on SWIFT.  

Ah yeah but they sent over 3,000 helmets to the Ukrainian miliatary a few weeks back. You can't expect them to do everything.

Actually I'm surprised he said anything. Usually he just disappears for a few weeks.

Edited by sparrow1988

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

Ah yeah but they sent over 3,000 helmets to the Ukrainian miliatary a few weeks back.

They didn’t send them (it was 5,000), they told the Ukrainians to collect them. Ukrainian army took it as it was intended - straight up trolling. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Can someone please explain why exclusion from the SWIFT network is the biggest economic sanction we could impose? Like how does this affect Putin/Russia?

SWIFT = Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication

It would cut Russian institutions off from the international interbank payment system.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Can someone please explain why exclusion from the SWIFT network is the biggest economic sanction we could impose? Like how does this affect Putin/Russia?

It’s what the banks use to transfer money between themselves. It effectively cuts them off from international capital markets.

It could in theory collapse their banking system, currency. Basically wreck them as an economy very quickly.

It could also hurt us and other countries because if you have investments or any money in Russia you can basically say goodbye to that.

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s what the banks use to transfer money between themselves. It effectively cuts them off from international capital markets.

It could in theory collapse their banking system, currency. Basically wreck them as an economy very quickly.

It could also hurt us and other countries because if you have investments or any money in Russia you can basically say goodbye to that.

Anybody who has any money in Russia is probably very wealthy so I won’t lose any sleep over it.

Crash it and starve their army.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â