Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

48 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think at this point Russia will only respond to like for like threats.

NATO should just threaten to invade Russia and start massing troops along their borders.

What, in countries like China, Kazakhstan and Mongolia?  NATO already has a presence in Estonia, and Belarus is Ruskie land. 

Edited by trekka

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

the rest of the world saying oh we stand by , without actually standing by you isn’t going to stop Putin . Russia has plenty of reserve and has been stocking up on gold , Euros and RMB whilst reducing its Yankee $ holding , its debt is only at 20% GDP these sanctions threats aren’t going to stop him…

when it starts , lets hope the Ukrainian military have ditched their iPhone app for defence placements and choose not to show its replacement on YouTube this time ,  or this could  be the shortest invasion ever 

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the rest of the world saying oh we stand by , without actually standing by you isn’t going to stop Putin . Russia has plenty of reserve and has been stocking up on gold , Euros and RMB whilst reducing its Yankee $ holding , its debt is only at 20% GDP these sanctions threats aren’t going to stop him…

These are all good points. In general, we should stop saying things that are not true, or making promises we have no intention of keeping.

Well all the divisions of the Russian military is in place, the Russians in the Donbas have been evacuated and Xu’s Olympics finish tomorrow so there’s nothing more to wait for.

It’s sounds like this week is the time to see if Putin is bluffing or not. 

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

Well at least it gets the aggressor right unlike the other lot that the bloke mentioned at the bottom runs with.

I'm not so sure about the “concerted campaign against Ukraine in the West” bit though. Not really seen much briefing against Ukraine going on if I'm honest. But it’s a massive improvement on what STWC were saying last week and as such is to be welcomed.

It really shows a massive split in the Left Anti-War movement.

At best Galloway is a contrarian self publicist grifter.

Paul Mason, I’m sure he’s genuine, if a bit late to student politics.

There are definitely cultural and political complications in and around Ukraine, this is not an absolutist good versus bad end game where people that want to be Russian all live one side of a river, and people that all want to be good democratic progressive Europeans all live the other side of a river. 

Wherever that border is, it will be an uncomfortable fit for some.

To think that people still cheered for Galloway and Corbyn when they had their own bloody shows on Iranian and Russian TV is beyond me. How Galloway is still allowed to post on twitter after the tonnes of untruth he’s spewing is even worse.

• Like 1

It could be worth people having a little read up on the Azov Battalion, they’re on ‘our side’ in this.

spacer.png

Yeah, that’ll be a Nazi black sun symbol.

The U.S. was going to get them over to the States for some special ops training, then thought perhaps they might actually be terrorists.

I’m not going pro gangster state Russia here, just y’know, it’s not white hats versus black hats.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How long do we wake up to the same headlines in the news about an ‘imminent’ Russian attack?

I’m not saying they won’t attack, what do i know afterall but it’s been what, ten days now of the same recycled headline every day? 

Last time it was about 40 years wasn't it? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

How dare you bring any nuance to the discussion.

You want nuance? 50% of the Azov Battalion are native Russian speakers from the Donbas region. Regardless of their politics (which are obviously disgusting) that flies in the face of the claims that all the ethnic Russians in the Donbas want to be part of Russia

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It could be worth people having a little read up on the Azov Battalion, they’re on ‘our side’ in this.

spacer.png

Yeah, that’ll be a Nazi black sun symbol.

The U.S. was going to get them over to the States for some special ops training, then thought perhaps they might actually be terrorists.

I’m not going pro gangster state Russia here, just y’know, it’s not white hats versus black hats.

There’s quite a taint of fascism in a fair part of Ukraine’s military and militia , that’s the one part of the grifter’s tweet that is accurate. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

You want nuance? 50% of the Azov Battalion are native Russian speakers from the Donbas region. Regardless of their politics (which are obviously disgusting) that flies in the face of the claims that all the ethnic Russians in the Donbas want to be part of Russia

For sure. I don't think I've seen people claiming that 'all the ethnic Russians in the Donbas want to be part of Russia', though maybe they have. There seems to be a range of different opinions within the Donbas, from those who reject the Russian presence and want full rule from Kyiv, to those who want to remain part of Ukraine but also have greater devolved power in a federal structure, to those who want direct rule from Moscow. It does seem likely though, that one of the latter two options would get more (not 'all') votes in a referendum. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â