17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

36 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

No idea why people keep saying derby are the form team, they are shit. 14 points from the last 10 games, Their final 6 games they won 2, lost 3 & drew against us giving them 7 points from 6 games. The 2 wins were against bolton & barnsley.

Even though we have been pretty much useless since beating wolves we are above derby in every form table since then.

Like it or not Middlesbrough & Fulham are by far the most in form teams.

Last 10 games

Fulham - W7 D2 L1 PTS 23

Boro - W5 D3 L2 PTS 18

Us - W5 D2 L3 PTS 17

Derby - W4 D2 L4 PTS 14

Last 6 games

Fulham - W4 D1 L1 PTS 13

Boro - W4 D1 L1 PTS 13

Us - W3 D1 L2 PTS 10

Derby - W2 D1 L3 PTS 7

Well you can spin it the way you want it. Our last few games include beating the 2nd best team in the league at home (Cardiff), hammering Ispwich 4-0 when we needed the goals, and totally outplaying Derby at Home. Yesterday game meant nothing and we lost. If Fulham won yesterday, they would have got promoted. And they blew it.  

Not spinning anything, Multiple people are saying that Derby are the form team heading into the play-offs, They are not. It really is that simple

I honestly have no idea how they are even in the play-offs. The have only won 6 games out of the 21 games they have played since Jan 1st, Those wins were against Birmingham, Brentford, Cardiff, Preston, Bolton & Barnsley.

Hell Birmingham have actually won 2 more games than Derby in 2018, would anyone describe them as a form team?

This is the tabe for games played in 2018

uknZV8l.jpg

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

No. That is a fact.

No its not. We could play as badly as we did in those games and get a freak smash'n'grab or the opposition could play even WORSE. 

It's a likely hood that we would lose agreed, but not a fact. 

3 hours ago, brommy said:

That's the spirit.

His right though if we do play like those games we won't have a chance. I don't think we will but if we did i woukd serious question the players as no excuses for putting in such a shower of shit performance liek those

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

His right though if we do play like those games we won't have a chance. I don't think we will but if we did i woukd serious question the players as no excuses for putting in such a shower of shit performance liek those

It's such a weird thing to say though.

If we play shit then we will lose.

Great.

If we play well we will win.

So probably the best approach is to play well.

"Hi, Steve...? You know that team talk you've been looking for-"

tenor.gif

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 1

Steve Bruce vs Tony Pulis - Head to Head

06/07 - Championship

Stoke 0 - 0 Birmingham

Birmingham 0 - 1 Stoke

08/09 - Premier League

Wigan 0 - 0 Stoke

Stoke 2 - 0 Wigan

09/10 - Premier League

Stoke 1 - 0 Sunderland

Sunderland 0 - 0 Stoke

10/11 - Premier League

Sunderland 0 - 2 Stoke

Stoke 3 - 2  Sunderland

11/12 - Premier League

Sunderland 0 - 4 Stoke

13/14 - Premier League

Crystal Palace 1 - 0 Hull

14/15 - Premier League

West Brom 1 - 0 Hull

West Brom 3 - 2 Hull (League Cup)

17/18 - Championship

Middlesbrough 0 - 1 Aston Villa

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

No its not. We could play as badly as we did in those games and get a freak smash'n'grab or the opposition could play even WORSE. 

It's a likely hood that we would lose agreed, but not a fact. 

OK , we'll go with a very strong possibility. Just for you.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's such a weird thing to say though.

If we play shit then we will lose.

Great.

If we play well we will win.

So probably the best approach is to play well.

"Hi, Steve...? You know that team talk you've been looking for-"

tenor.gif

Hmmm. Johnny B. Goode is a great tune but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to get the boys whipped up before a game :P

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If we end up facing Derby in the final I'll be over the moon. 

We were miles better than at VP last week

One of most one sided games at Villa Park in many a year 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I just don't see the value or point in posting "if we play like...". It's not incisive to list a few games that we played poor or well in and stating that if we play like that we'll lose or win. It's either blindingly obvious or still has a chance of being wrong!

We will draw at Boro and beat them by an odd goal at Villa Park. We will then face Derby in the final - Fulham will be mentally shot and bottle it - and we will beat them 3-1. I fancy Grealish, Adomah and Terry to score at Wembley. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villarocker said:

We will draw at Boro and beat them by an odd goal at Villa Park. We will then face Derby in the final - Fulham will be mentally shot and bottle it - and we will beat them 3-1. I fancy Grealish, Adomah and Terry to score at Wembley. 

Sorted then:)

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

That head to head makes for some grim reading TBH

It’s also fairly meaningless. The results between Bruce and Pulis over 10 years with different teams in very different contexts aren’t  in any sense a guide to what might happen over the next two Saturdays.

Arguably the only relevant result is what happened with our current team vs their current team and we won that one.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

All four teams will be feeling confident in their own way and all their will think they're favourites;

Fulham - huge unbeaten run, closest to automatics, experience at this stage. Quite a gap to next team.

Boro - only been in division a season, expensive squad and original favs for title, slow start like Villa.

Derby - can beat anyone on their day, arguably the in form team.

I know it's said time and time again, but this stage is about nerve, quality, stamina, luck and desire and I really think any one of the teams could go up. We can be as good and as bad as any other team in the playoffs. I'd say there are favourites but by a smaller degree than is made out - maybe 29% (Fulham), 26% (Villa), 23% (Boro) and 22% (Derby). If we take our bias out of the equation we're right not to be favourites.

One thing about these play offs for me is usually you get an out of nowhere team make them.

Last season you arguably had two, Reading and especially Huddersifield. Previous years a relegation favourite like Blackpool got into them and won them. This year it would've been any one of Preston, Millwall, Brentford or Bristol City but they all fell just short.

This year has largely gone to form. Play offs were minimum target for us and Boro, arguably Fulham aswell and Derby have been in them plenty of times in last 5 years.

I'd say the quality of the four teams is probably the highest it's been for many years. Doubt that's good news for us but means there will hopefully be no complaceny from us we might've seen if we did play a PNE at any stage.

We certainly will have to earn going up now.