17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

If it is to be Villa vs Fulham then so be it. They have had the better of us at Craven Cottage of late in the same way we have a recent history of turning them over at Villa Park what would happen at Wembley is open to question. I don't accept that they are the better team. There won't be many points between us at the end of the season so it will be a case of who turns up on the day. Sure after a rocky start they have gone on a great run and we have had a couple of poor results that have cost us in what has otherwise been a consistent season of point accumulation. If we both reach Wembley and if we play anything near as well as we did at Villa Park against the champions when we get there then there can only be one winner - us.;)

Edited by John
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, John said:

If it is to be Villa vs Fulham then so be it. They have had the better of us at Craven Cottage of late in the same way we have a recent history of turning them over at Villa Park what would happen at Wembley is open to question. I don't accept that they are the better team. There won't be many points between us at the end of the season so it will be a case of who turns up on the day. Sure after a rocky start they have gone on a great run and we have had a couple of poor results that have cost us in what has otherwise been a consistent season of point accumulation. If we both reach Wembley and if we play anything near as well as we did at Villa Park against the champions when we get there then there can only be one winner - us.;)

I have to admit Fulham have some fantastic attacking players, however i think defensively I don’t think they are so good. They looked over the shop yesterday and that’s the first time I’ve seen that. Against aQpr they didn’t look good. Yesterday was the first time they were second and they couldn’t handle the pressure.

i feel we have a better defence than them. I don’t think they are unbeatable tbh. If it’s fulham so be it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John said:

50/50 chwnce for me if it’s fulham .

anyone else I’d strongly fancy us to win - but your right it’s who turns up on the day and we have lots of experience of big game occasions  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chappy said:

Fulham were on a great run last season too and got turned over by Reading in the play off semi finals.

True but maybe they  learnt a lot from that experience - it’s all about who performs on the day .

i still think fulham have a chance of 2nd place but it’s cardiffs to lose from here .

Edited by Eastie

16 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The only thing I would say about Fulham is they have been so lucky with injuries this year it’s unreal.

To be fair we played them away without Grealish and matched them, perhaps even shaded them until they scored. After that we were chasing the game when they scored a second. 

Without home advantage and with Grealish we will have nothing to fear from them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

50/50 chwnce for me if it’s fulham .

anyone else I’d strongly fancy us to win - but your right it’s who turns up on the day and we have lots of experience of big game occasions  

The games that have concerned me this season have been against mid- low table opposition.

I think we are better against better opposition.

14 hours ago, Alakagom said:

It is quite a lottery what Villa side show up. The one that got dominated by QPR and Bolton or the one that won convincingly against Wolves or Bristol. 

Pure fluke which one we get. 

Thats the case with every team......ask even Liverpool.

9 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Stat of the day: More than two thirds of the championship play off final winners have not finished in the top play off position in the league.

We're capable of winning via the play offs but before we worry about who we may or may not play in the play off final we shouldn't under estimate the team we'll face in the semi final first.

But the team finishing third has been promoted more often than 4th, then 5th then 6th.

Still think we will have a better than average chance through the playoffs. Whoever finishes 3rd and 4th will be some way ahead of the 5th and 6th this season and over two legs would expect that to be the final...but its a funny old game. 

3 hours ago, John said:

Both teams had a rough start.  Then we had a terrible December and a poor March.  It seems odd to say that we’ve had a consistent season of point accumulation.  Technically, I guess that may be true we didn’t have point deductions.   But, that would be stretching the meaning, I think.  

1-0 Wolves

Anyway, if we play like we did at Wolves we can beat anyone in this league. 1st leg will be very scrappy, score line don't really matter as long as it is low or a draw. Second leg needs to be all guns blazing.

Have to be careful who ever it is that they don't look to take out Grealish for the 2nd leg. I can see this being in any managers tactics.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The games that have concerned me this season have been against mid- low table opposition.

I think we are better against better opposition.

I get your point Although we have been deservedly beaten at wolves, Cardiff , Fulham and derby without scoring a goal on any of those games 

36 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

1-0 Wolves

Anyway, if we play like we did at Wolves we can beat anyone in this league. 1st leg will be very scrappy, score line don't really matter as long as it is low or a draw. Second leg needs to be all guns blazing.

Have to be careful who ever it is that they don't look to take out Grealish for the 2nd leg. I can see this being in any managers tactics.

We play like we did at wolves we are dead and buried ;)

Edited by Eastie
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I get your point Although we have been deservedly beaten at wolves, Cardiff , Fulham and derby without scoring a goal on any of those games 

Yeah.....I think the away form has cost us.

• Wolves and Cardiff was early season....I think we have improved in general since then.
  • Derby was disappointing imo.......Fulham was par  for the course.
  • Like 1

Doesn’t xia have to pay Lerner an extra payment if we win promotion this season ? Could be a costly summer for recon with major signings needed too ,  if promoted - dig deep doc .

Edited by Eastie

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

Both teams had a rough start.  Then we had a terrible December and a poor March.  It seems odd to say that we’ve had a consistent season of point accumulation.  Technically, I guess that may be true we didn’t have point deductions.   But, that would be stretching the meaning, I think.  

As I recall they took a longer time to get going and before their unbeaten run looked more of a mid-table team than one destined for the playoffs or automatic promotion but we by comparison spent more time in or nearer the playoff positions. Although we have had poor runs, I think that our points were accumulated over a wider period of time rather than mostly on the run of games they are currently on.      

3 minutes ago, John said:

As I recall they took a longer time to get going and before their unbeaten run looked more of a mid-table team than one destined for the playoffs or automatic promotion but we by comparison spent more time in or nearer the playoff positions. Although we have had poor runs, I think that our points were accumulated over a wider period of time rather than mostly on the run of games they are currently on.      

They only won 4 of their first 17 I believe ,

• Like 1