17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think boro would make it. I think if order sheff united for 6th 

Most of the teams chasing 6th play each other in the run in - really it’s highly unlikely that 75 points won’t be enough and it’s hard to see Millwall or sheff Utd or Bristol city getting that total . 

I’m not that bothered who we play but my biggest concern is whether it’ll be better to be at home first leg so we aren’t out the tie by the 2nd leg. We have awful performances just waiting to show up like today. 

Edited by dn1982
  • Like 1

Should rename this thread really, the only teams worthy of having the "charge" tag are Wolves (who finished charging early after having run away with the league), Cardiff and Fulham. We have at best got going a couple of times on very decent runs, but we've not ever quite got in to charge territory have we?

Best rename it the 17/18 Promotion Playoff Lottery and hope we get lucky, we aren't good enough to know that a. we will turn up in any given game and b. on an off day we can scrape a result. That said we had a run before christmas with a ton of good results without once playing football so who knows.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

Can’t see boro getting above either villa or derby - not convinced boro will make top 6 either .They have derby sheff Utd bristol city Millwall and Ipswich to play - not easy at all .

Don't Derby play Boro in a few weeks? I can see Middlesboro beating Derby and Derby also losing to Wolves. Drew v us so that's 3 games in the run in I don't think they'll win so that should puts them in big danger of missing out if Millwall keep winning.

54 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I’m not that bothered who we play but my biggest concern is whether it’ll be better to be at home first leg so we aren’t out the tie by the 2nd leg. We have awful performances just waiting to show up like today. 

You have to look at where we're strongest.

We are strong at home generally, two defeats all season.

Away from home we have tailed off again, 1 point from our last 3 away games against bottom half opposition.

In which scenario would we most likely get to Wembley...get a draw away and come back to finish the job at VP in front of 40k and Wolves type atmosphere or draw the first league at home and have to get a result away.

I think we need the second leg at home personally. We're going into our shells away from home and no guarentee we'd snap out of that in the play offs.

• Like 2

It could have been a lot worse. Derby, Bristol City and Sheff United have hit miserable form since Christmas and this is probably why we look comfortable in play-off spots 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

You have to look at where we're strongest.

We are strong at home generally, two defeats all season.

Away from home we have tailed off again, 1 point from our last 3 away games against bottom half opposition.

In which scenario would we most likely get to Wembley...get a draw away and come back to finish the job at VP in front of 40k and Wolves type atmosphere or draw the first league at home and have to get a result away.

I think we need the second leg at home personally. We're going into our shells away from home and no guarentee we'd snap out of that in the play offs.

Away from home I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost by at least 2 goals to any of the play off contenders - would we overturn a 2 goal deficit ? Probably not .

much rather go into the 2nd leg with a lead from the home leg personally .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Don't Derby play Boro in a few weeks? I can see Middlesboro beating Derby and Derby also losing to Wolves. Drew v us so that's 3 games in the run in I don't think they'll win so that should puts them in big danger of missing out if Millwall keep winning.

Think derby will win at home to boro - however not too bothered which one we play - as long as fulham finish 2nd I will feel much more confident - that’s why we need to turn Cardiff over .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Away from home I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost by at least 2 goals to any of the play off contenders - would we overturn a 2 goal deficit ? Probably not .

much rather go into the 2nd leg with a lead from the home leg personally .

Even if we won first leg one nil we would lose as shown yesterday.

I think second leg with a full house electric villa park we can be a anyone if these clowns decide they can be bothered to turn up.

I can picture next season if we go up.

60 minutes in, we're losing 2-0 to Man City. Bruce is on the ropes, but has a flash ofinspiration. He drags off a midfielder and defender and brings on an extra couple of strikers to rescue the game.

Full Time: Aston Villa 0 - 18 Man City.

"I don't know what went wrong".

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Your confidence is drawn from what exactly, Jareth?

Based on the fact that we didn't try to win the game yesterday - I think they're waiting for the play-offs and when it's a big game atmosphere we have shown that we can rise to it, I think the players are more suited to that than these away games at mid table clubs. One home game at Villa Park, massive atmos, then all being well Wembley, it'll be insane - the sheer nervous energy, let's pray for a good result.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

We are currently looking very much like the Derby of recent seasons. We have the look of a team that had got themselves into a strong position only to throw it all away as the season conclusion drew near. Other teams and pundits will now see us as a soft touch and as bottlers. We will be the team that everyone fancies playing and seen as the team that can be got at. Our confidence has gone and we appear shot. We need to find the form we showed against Wolves and Small Heath at Villa Park again quick and the resilience we had away from home in past games. Is it too late to turn the tide? No, but we are fast running out of time to find the confidence and determination we once had. Now is the time for players and management to show some bottle and to refuse to let this season end in humiliation. Make it so Villa and fight like lions rather than lemmings. Prepare for the playoffs and make us proud during them. You owe it to yourself, to our great club and to us!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

It could have been a lot worse. Derby, Bristol City and Sheff United have hit miserable form since Christmas and this is probably why we look comfortable in play-off spots 

Thats always going to happen though isnt it. And why it is very correct to say that all that matters is that we win our games. You cant just have eight teams winning all the time and on 80 points. A load of the top half teams are generally quite poor.

I remember us being behind Derby and thinking that theres little chance of us overtaking them. And now 10th placed Fulham of the time are way ahead of them.

I just cant believe that we've won one of the last five against bottom half or relegation candidates. So dissapointing.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Even if we won first leg one nil we would lose as shown yesterday.

I think second leg with a full house electric villa park we can be a anyone if these clowns decide they can be bothered to turn up.

Either way we need to perform in both legs so whatever way round it is it’s down to us to turn up - on our day we can beat anyone - when not on our game we can be turned over by anyone - depends which villa turn up 

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Thats always going to happen though isnt it. And why it is very correct to say that all that matters is that we win our games. You cant just have eight teams winning all the time and on 80 points. A load of the top half teams are generally quite poor.

I remember us being behind Derby and thinking that theres little chance of us overtaking them. And now 10th placed Fulham of the time are way ahead of them.

I just cant believe that we've won one of the last five against bottom half or relegation candidates. So dissapointing.

Yes after the wolves win we should have kicked on and grasped it - instead we’ve looked piss poor 

35 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Based on the fact that we didn't try to win the game yesterday - I think they're waiting for the play-offs and when it's a big game atmosphere we have shown that we can rise to it, I think the players are more suited to that than these away games at mid table clubs. One home game at Villa Park, massive atmos, then all being well Wembley, it'll be insane - the sheer nervous energy, let's pray for a good result.

Er....what?

Just now, DCJonah said:

It was poor but to say they didn't try to win because they are thinking of playoffs is ridiculous IMO. 

Nope, it's not. They were not motivated at all, as shown by the most midtable outfit of the league winning as they did.