17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Long way to go still, but it's looking ever so promising at the moment. We'll surely suffer a loss at some point, and it'll be interesting to see if/how we bounce back. Think we'll see a cautious and defensive setup against Fulham.

I think we should be favourites to finish 2nd. That's not arrogant, we've won our last 7 games, and we've done so playing consistently well. Yes, we've edged the odd game but it's a run of form we've not experienced for a long time. We've strung together unconvincing sets of results over the past season and a half, but nothing like at the moment.

Yes, it's too early to work in absolutes. But at the very least we should be in the playoffs, and we should be aiming for 2nd and making Wolves feel uncomfortable. 

Caveat, I am still buzzing from yesterday. 

• Like 1

Loving the Derby fans spinning it that it's better for them now the pressure is on us.

Just keep doing our business as we have been and we can pull clear over the next few weeks.  Ideally get to the point where the Derby game (and Millwall) is immaterial.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

As a Villa fan it's hard not to think we might **** it up but this season and this team just feels different. 

Indeed.

Yesterday was indicative of that.

Those are the times I usually expect us to bottle it, when we have the opportunity to make up ground.

We passed with flying colours.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Loving the Derby fans spinning it that it's better for them now the pressure is on us.

Just keep doing our business as we have been and we can pull clear over the next few weeks.  Ideally get to the point where the Derby game (and Millwall) is immaterial.

With their track record of capitulation I'm not surprised they feel that :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

As a Villa fan it's hard not to think we might **** it up but this season and this team just feels different. 

That is my feeling regarding the players - I trust them. This group seem to really try and work hard and seem to care about getting the club back to where it belongs.

We just need to maintain focus and keep everyone healthy and we should get the points needed for automatic. We've sorted out the away form lately and have been very strong at home.

Derby fans think we will be looking below us now we're 2nd and will feel the pressure? No. That was the mistake you made. We're Aston Villa and we'll be looking above with the same mentality we've had these last few months of trying to catch the side above. We have to continue with that mentality; though its highly unlikely we'll catch Wolves, we still have to adopt this approach and keep picking up the wins to put the pressure on them incase they do have a wobble and slip up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

We've played 3 games during the week at home this season. 2 wins and 1 draw. 

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I know it was a cup game but we lost to boro and drew with them midweek wasn't it?

who were the two home wins against?

Midweek games 2017/18:

EFL CUP -

Home - W1 L1 (Wigan - M'boro)

Away - W1 (Colchester)

League -

Home - W1 (Sunderland) D1 (M'boro)

Away - W3 (Burton/Preston/Sheff Utd) L2 (Reading/Brentford)

So 4 games at home 2 wins (Wigan/Sunderland) one draw and one loss - both to Middlesbrough.

• Thanks 1