17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

On 8/7/2017 at 12:35, JoshVilla said:

Didn't Newcastle lose their first two games last season? Early days yet. Let's see how the next few games pan out.

Newcastle were a quality team with a quality manager though. We are neither and comparisons to them are just pointless. People can live in the clouds if they choose but we are not going to be top 2 this season, Id bet anyone, any amount on that, and I'm almost willing to bet we won't be top 6 either.

We have a poor, aging squad with just one natural goal scorer, who is currently injured and may or may not come back the same player. We have not done anything like enough to get ourselves in contention and that is such a disappointment given the disaster of last season.

Talk of the top 2 is quite literally, laughable, in my honest opinion.

Edited by One For The Road

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Newcastle were a quality team with a quality manager though. We are neither and comparisons to them are just pointless. People can live in the clouds if they choose but we are not going to be top 2 this season, Id bet anyone, any amount on that, and I'm almost willing to bet we won't be top 6 either.

We have a poor, aging squad with just one natural goal scorer, who is currently injured and may or may not come back the same player. We have not done anything like enough to get ourselves in contention and that is such a disappointment given the disaster of last season.

What a happy chap you are and by the way what a load of b------s!

Can't stand it. We're going to stick with him and blow it.

Weild the axe Tone, it's your only hope.

I don't know what hope we've got with Round & Wyness upstairs though. They seem the type to be very pro crap old British-based managers. Hopefully not.

32 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

What a happy chap you are and by the way what a load of b------s!

I'm a very happy chap thanks. Not that being happy has anything to do with the reality of the situation.

I'm just not blinded by the bleeding obvious. Just because I'm a Villa fan it doesn't mean I've got to pretend we are better than we are. Tell me, what exactly is a load of b-------s? That we won't finish top 2? Really? Open your eyes mate, we are a pretty mediocre side. 

We are desperate for a goalscorer and a creative winger. Without the signing of both, I don't see us as a promotion threat. That ok with you?

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Can't stand it. We're going to stick with him and blow it.

Weild the axe Tone, it's your only hope.

I don't know what hope we've got with Round & Wyness upstairs though. They seem the type to be very pro crap old British-based managers. Hopefully not.

so we have amongst the best continental managers in the world occupying the top spots in the Prem.....and we think all the rest  are all clones.

wrong.

there are rakes of poor continental managers.....and we are bound to get one if we part with SB

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

so we have amongst the best continental managers in the world occupying the top spots in the Prem.....and we think all the rest  are all clones.

wrong.

there are rakes of poor continental managers.....and we are bound to get one if we part with SB

Might still be an upgrade.......:P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Not saying that I think we're going to finish in the top 2, just that I think that we should wait and see how the next few games go before we make any assumptions, either good or bad.

• Like 2

Just now, JoshVilla said:

Not saying that I think we're going to finish in the top 2, just that I think that we should wait and see how the next few games go before we make any assumptions, either good or bad.

well said that man.

7 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Assumptions, by definition, are generally made without proof. I believe we have enough proof to indicate that we are not going to be in the running for automatic promotion, without waiting for the next few games.

I do, however, hope that we can show that we are capable of finishing higher than last season. Even if its only a by a few places. Which is why I have us down to finish between 7th and 9th.

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Assumptions, by definition, are generally made without proof. I believe we have enough proof to indicate that we are not going to be in the running for automatic promotion, without waiting for the next few games.

I do, however, hope that we can show that we are capable of finishing higher than last season. Even if its only a by a few places. Which is why I have us down to finish between 7th and 9th.

we will improve.:)

predicted/future  games are always a figment of the imagination and the last game is what it is ...the last game, that may not throw up the same circumstances next game.

Improvement is not always as scientific as we would like to think and trial and error is often crutch to lean on.

for all what WE say, there is only one manager and we just have to hope he gets it right.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Oh I agree. I think we will. That's why I think we will finish higher than we did last season. But the kind of improvement on that shambles that would be required to get promoted is on a different scale. We would have needed to seriously strengthen in several key areas to mount that kind of challenge. We havent. So top 7 would be an improvement.

7 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Oh I agree. I think we will. That's why I think we will finish higher than we did last season. But the kind of improvement on that shambles that would be required to get promoted is on a different scale. We would have needed to seriously strengthen in several key areas to mount that kind of challenge. We havent. So top 7 would be an improvement.

I see what you see.

deep down I could be more critical, but I am choosing not to be and hoping our manager can fix it.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

wrong.

Don't want a continental one. I want one that's not crap and old, in a footballing sense.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, dounavilla said:

I'm 100% sure though that if Bruce was not our manager yesterday we would have won.

I'm 100% sure though that if we had won 5-0 people would still be taking any opportunity whatsoever that they could to have a go at Steve Bruce boring me senseless in the process. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

Improvement is not always as scientific as we would like to think and trial and error is often crutch to lean on.

for all what WE say, there is only one manager and we just have to hope he gets it right.

We will improve on what evidence? Hope? 

Approaching 40 games under Bruce and he's delivered nothing. We look like a league 2 team playing away at Man Utd every game.

Get out of my club.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Absolutely. You don't trust Wyness & Round all that much then?

If this'll result in another failure, I can't see Tony taking anymore unnecessary risks. Hopefully he'll go for a high profile name. Preferably non-english.

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm 100% sure though that if we had won 5-0 people would still be taking any opportunity whatsoever that they could to have a go at Steve Bruce boring me senseless in the process. 

Same as this. 

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

No we won't, not under Bruce.

We have by far the best side in the division, yet we mostly play without calmness, confidence, and idea. 

Watched some of the Leeds - Bolton game today. Even Bolton who play a direct game like ours, seemed to be more calm, assured and ultimately effective.

7 minutes ago, vreitti said:

No we won't, not under Bruce.

We have by far the best side in the division, yet we mostly play without calmness, confidence, and idea. 

Watched some of the Leeds - Bolton game today. Even Bolton who play a direct game like ours, seemed to be more calm, assured and ultimately effective.

We have played 1 game this season. How can you say how we "mostly" play? 

• Like 1