17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

While I obviously hope we do go up automatically, I think a more realistic ambition is play offs and even that is a big ask. I think a lot of fans are setting themselves up for disappointment this season. Ultimately, as long as we progress I will be happy. As a last resort even a top ten finish after a hard fought season and I'll be ok. As of right now we finally have a nucleus of a very good strong team, I worry that fans are expecting it to happen right now where as I think it will take another 6 months to a season if I'm being honest. Long term I won't mind as the continued stability will do us some form of good as long as we push on from it instead of continue to sit still for a 3rd season, but I do expect us to be pushing hard to go up this year too. Its just that I don't think we will quite manage it. 

The only worry about not going up this season is the harm financially and will it halt further sponsorship/attracting players/best players leave etc...? Will Tony lose heart? Question his own ambition/loyalty? Those are the risks I guess. If we have a good season and just miss out despite giving it our all then I'm not worried too much, if its another season of mid to lower placing and mediocrity and boring football then its time to worry I suppose. Interesting times ahead either way.

I get the feeling it really is a do or die year this season which is frustrating as this club has shown over the last 5-7 years or so that it does not thrive well on pressure at all. 

I hope this hasn't come across as negative, I certainly have my reservations about some of the players, the decisions and Bruce but on the flipside, on the whole we have a very good squad, the other decisions are well made and Bruce has shown glimpses of improvement.

It will be a very interesting season for sure and one we will remember I reckon.

Edited by Ingram85

22 hours ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Kodija and Hogan both capable of getting 20 goals individually. However on last years evidence, if they play together they won't get anywhere near that.

They havent even played 10 games together yet. I'd want a bigger sample size before I write them off.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Can't agree with the above post. I couldn't imagine being happy with finishing outside the playoffs even if it is higher than 13th. 

Playoffs should be minimum and automatic promotion should be the realistic goal. 

I think you are putting way too much faith in our stock. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, just that IMO, we may struggle to quite just get there. I'm not saying that top 2 or play offs shouldn't be our ambition. They should.

Of course there'll be an element of struggle, nothing is a foregone conclusion but you don't reap rewards without working hard. I think the emphasis placed on improving fitness will pay dividends come the end of the season and that's built on a very strong (for this level) squad. We should be aiming to win it this year, minimum requirement for Bruce is playoffs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I think you are putting way too much faith in our stock. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, just that IMO, we may struggle to quite just get there. I'm not saying that top 2 or play offs shouldn't be our ambition. They should.

For me, I get your point about handling the pressure. There is absolutely no excuse we should be at minimum be targeting top 4. We have the manager, the players, the backing of the owner and a very huge, supportive fan base. All the key components to get promoted.

This for me is the season we get some success back at Villa Park. First promotion, then take our rightful place as Kings of the Midlands over that small Tesco club who are an embarrassment to be leading the midlands.

• Like 2

Good post @Ingram85. Myself, I dont think turning 6/7 of last seasons losses into wins is too much to expect, which for all the concerns we (rightly imo) have about whether we will score enough goals, is all we would have needed last season to hit the playoffs. I think playoffs as a minimum expectation is realistic but not that big of an ask really. I agree automatic promotion looks a little more fanciful, given we finished 13th. But if we're in the hunt in january we'd be looking to add maybe 1 or 2 key players as opposed to the half a team that came in and disrupted us last year. He's got a fair crack at it this year, Bruce. I can't see us struggling like last year. Whether he's got enough to hit the top 2 I'm genuinely unconvinced. Unlike you I dont think we'll be outside the playoffs though and would consider that a fail. But like you I'll be happy with improvement and would be fairly happy with a top 6 finish.

Totally agree it's a massive year and there's a lot of pressure. But this is where I think Bruce will come up trumps if I'm honest. I think he's shown he can motivate and organise players time and time again and done well with some fairly average squads down the years. His luck in the playoffs surely has to run out sometime and it is such a lottery. Lets hope we're getting our injury crisis out the way early this year - the squad is loads better but pretty thin in places.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Can't agree with the above post. I couldn't imagine being happy with finishing outside the playoffs even if it is higher than 13th. 

Playoffs should be minimum and automatic promotion should be the realistic goal. 

Has to be Automatic for me.

And far more importantly it has to look like it will be from the off ( by which I mean the first 5/8 games maximum).

Lets face it those that think he will fail will see pretty soon, those that think he will do a fine job must be expecting 2 points a game.

Bruce has bought well, we have a good squad and a very good 14. By 8 games In he will have pretty much had a year.

A play off place can be got even if your first half season is poor, so anybody happy with that as a goal has to then accept even as low a return of about 1.2 points a game, maybe for 4 months. That'd be unacceptable IMO and have us on course for the lottery.

If he's cracked it, it will show early enough. Newcastle wobbled early on but quickly got on track. There are exceptions but often as not the top 2 - or three who will fight it out - are identifiable by the end of September latest.

I think we will average 2 points a game pretty much from the off and be battling for 1st or 2nd - and rightly so.!(IF he is more positive than last season etc but that's a different thread)

• Like 3

I remain confident that we'll be in the top 2.

I would of course settle for promotion via the playoffs but I'd class it as a slight disappointment.

Anything less than promotion via the playoffs is a failure.

• Like 2

Hmm, with Cissokho now finally gone and rumours of continued interest in Amavi, we might be down to 1 solitary leftback in Taylor before too long.  Not sure how comfortable RDL is moving all the way across from the right.  In fact I'm not sure how comfortable he is getting up and down your average staircase, which is the other issue with that particular 'depth chart'.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I remain confident that we'll be in the top 2.

I would of course settle for promotion via the playoffs but I'd class it as a slight disappointment.

Anything less than promotion via the playoffs is a failure.

You cannot beat the thrill of going up in the playoffs from what I hear ....

....but I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like losing in it.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Just had a look there and we're now 3rd favourites to go up behind Boro & Flum.

I have a funny feeling that it'll all go 'bang' at Fulham soon! What with Jokanovic being unhappy with the transfer dealings, I have a feeling he will leave soon and Fulham will struggle to replace him. Agree with boro though, id have them down as favourites. I think this year is a more wide open championship than last year. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing regards our chances!

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

I have a funny feeling that it'll all go 'bang' at Fulham soon! What with Jokanovic being unhappy with the transfer dealings, I have a feeling he will leave soon and Fulham will struggle to replace him. Agree with boro though, id have them down as favourites. I think this year is a more wide open championship than last year. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing regards our chances!

If he leaves and things didn't work out with Bruce we should be targeting jokanovic, he is a good attacking manager

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Hmm, with Cissokho now finally gone and rumours of continued interest in Amavi, we might be down to 1 solitary leftback in Taylor before too long.  Not sure how comfortable RDL is moving all the way across from the right.  In fact I'm not sure how comfortable he is getting up and down your average staircase, which is the other issue with that particular 'depth chart'.

Agree, bit of a worry that. If they both go, can't see the month ending without some kind of cover coming in.