The Manager thread

Xela

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He had managed in Serie A and Champions League. He was more known than Potter for example

Are you saying that two years ago more people on VillaTalk knew about De Zerbi than Potter?

10 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Are you saying that two years ago more people on VillaTalk knew about De Zerbi than Potter?

More people in football did

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

How many people on here could make the Scandinavian team he managed off the top of their head?

I knew he was over there and doing well, that's about it

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Who are those people in football that 2 years ago didn’t know about Potter, a known Premier League manager, but knew about De Zerbi, manager for an Ukrainian club?

41 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Who are those people in football that 2 years ago didn’t know about Potter, a known Premier League manager, but knew about De Zerbi, manager for a Ukrainian club?

People who watch Serie A

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

You've gone full hipster here, knowing him before it was cool :lol:

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You've gone full hipster here, knowing him before it was cool :lol:

I think I suggested him when I was trying to get Gerrard sacked 😂

12 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Who had heard about De Zerbi two years ago? This is what Brighton do, instead of hiring Frank or Steve.

De Zerbi was far more experienced at the top level than the two Brighton have seemingly gone for. Managed in Serie A for years and then CL with Shakthar.

Looks like the favourite has only managed in Bundesliga 2 for 18 months so that's a big risk but then they wanted McKenna so seems the profile they want.

Probably the start of Brighton just going back to being a regular bottom half team now just as happened to Swansea and Southampton a decade ago.

On 05/06/2024 at 16:14, foreveryoung said:

Well, I had no idea, Rob Edwards kids were at my lads school. Just went to pick him and saw him. Said a polite "alright". Lives in Adridge apparently, according to my lad.

An yes, he is as pretty, as he is on telly. 😂

Yeah there was a newspaper article on him last few months shadowing his daily routine and he said he commuted to Luton from his family home in the West Midlands. I could see him ending up at West Brom if Corberan leaves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

Who are those people in football that 2 years ago didn’t know about Potter, a known Premier League manager, but knew about De Zerbi, manager for an Ukrainian club?

Zat means when he was managing Ostersunds.

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Zat means when he was managing Ostersunds.

2 years ago Potter wasn’t managing Östersunds. Also he never mentioned Östersunds, somebody else did, and why stop there, Potter was even more unknown when he managed Leeds Carnegie.

If you never specify when and who, a statement like Potter is more well known than Emery, would be true, but not very informative.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

De Zerbi was far more experienced at the top level than the two Brighton have seemingly gone for. Managed in Serie A for years and then CL with Shakthar.

Looks like the favourite has only managed in Bundesliga 2 for 18 months so that's a big risk but then they wanted McKenna so seems the profile they want.

Probably the start of Brighton just going back to being a regular bottom half team now just as happened to Swansea and Southampton a decade ago.

Nah don’t see that, they have an impeccable recruitment system in place, not just for playing staff but non playing as well, they will be a regular top half team for many years to come now. 

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Why are people arguing if Potter or De Zerbi was more unknown?

Because they’ve got bored of talking about a Man Cit£h benchwarmer (hopefully).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Nah don’t see that, they have an impeccable recruitment system in place, not just for playing staff but non playing as well, they will be a regular top half team for many years to come now. 

Well they finished 11th this season despite having a fantastic start (won 5 of their first 6 games). They were above us before we routed them 6-1.

You go back a decade and Southampton were top half with all of Lallana, Shaw, Chambers, Van Dijk, Mane, Tadic at various times in their team but all it took were selling those key players and not replacing with same quality and some poor managerial choices (Pellegrino, Mark Hughes) and they quickly went to fighting relegation battles.

You could see as the season went on that Brighton not effectively replacing Caciedo and MacAlister was the big reason they stopped winning and it's all De Zerbi was talking about in the final few months so that's the warning for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

seems a very Brighton-esque hire. 

Quite the achievement with St Pauli last season.  You're right though, would be a very Brighton-esque speculative hire given his age and experience. Gambling that he's a future star, and compensation is probably not going to be massive. 

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

seems a very Brighton-esque hire. 

American? I wonder will he get the same mockery as Bradley and Marsch or does he have a German accent?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, sne said:

Paulo Fonseca joining AC Milan from Lille.

De Zerbi close to joining Marseille
Terzic has left Dortmund with immediate effect.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â