Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Without Hourihane goals we probably wouldnt be in this league. We didnt look like scoring vs West Brom last season until he came on

That’s because the Championship is his level. Clearly out of his depth in the premier league.

• Like 2

On 02/05/2020 at 00:20, KentVillan said:

He's just physically very lightweight and out of his depth. "A bottler", no. We would all look like "bottlers" if we played at this level. You're confusing quality with mentality.

I am not saying he is a premiership player, but he is a victim of an unbalanced squad.

There have been many lightweight players that have managed to get by, because there has been an enforcer in the side to compensate.....He/We have no one like that......He has a wand of a left foot, which is a weapon and on the offensive, he can drift in to dangerous positions to let fly......If he went to another club with the right players to do the ball winning job, he would be more valued for what he does best.

If Nakamba was supposed to be he isn't......at the moment.

What tickles me is when folk talk about our poor defending, some say this and that......"its not Deans game"......But when it comes to physical contact on the pitch, Conor can't get the same mitigation.....double standards or what....well "it isn't conors game"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Maybe so but he’s championship quality at best, he’s been shown up many times this season, he can’t tackle and goes missing more than he has good games, he’s a liability 

So who is presiding over that?, who picks a liability?, who picks players that can't tackle?....not saying you are wrong.....but he don't pick himself.

10 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

That’s because the Championship is his level. Clearly out of his depth in the premier league.

but so is a lot of our promotion winning team, we already needed to sign 12 players in different positions in the summer with quite a small budget

He is also our 2nd top scorer in all competitions after Jack

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

His ability from a set piece is the best at the club, if his general play matched his set pieces then he’d be at a better club than ours 

No.

If his general play was as good as his set pieces.....We would be that better club you allude to.

We have to stop thinking like this....we have to stop shaking hands with mediocrity or accepting players that are not giving us what we need to improve.....otherwise, we will always be talking about what other clubs do or are doing.

Conor has got games, because our signings for one reason or another are proving to be not much better.....at present.

We just simply have to stop accepting mediocrity, with the readiness, some of us do.....else we will always be like this.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

No.

If his general play was as good as his set pieces.....We would be that better club you allude to.

We have to stop thinking like this....we have to stop shaking hands with mediocrity or accepting players that are not giving us what we need to improve.....otherwise, we will always be talking about what other clubs do or are doing.

Conor has got games, because our signings for one reason or another are proving to be not much better.....at present.

We just simply have to stop accepting mediocrity, with the readiness, some of us do.....else we will always be like this.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with mediocrity, I’m a Villa fan, it’s pretty much all I’ve ever known, I’m happy with it. You sound like you have higher aspirations TRO

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

So who is presiding over that?, who picks a liability?, who picks players that can't tackle?....not saying you are wrong.....but he don't pick himself.

Unfortunately look at our other options in midfield, McGinn has been injured for month, then you either have nakamba who ain’t good, Luiz who has looked decent in games and then you have Lansbury who is always injured but he’s not much cop either

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

Unfortunately look at our other options in midfield, McGinn has been injured for month, then you either have nakamba who ain’t good, Luiz who has looked decent in games and then you have Lansbury who is always injured but he’s not much cop either

I think Nakamba is good enough, Lansbury is also a talented player

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think Nakamba is good enough, Lansbury is also a talented player

I haven’t seen anything from him tbh, can tackle but his passing is awful, he reminds me of al hamadi always passes sideways never forward, Lansbury is injured for to often to even get a run in the team

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Precisely....so who is responsible for that?

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with mediocrity, I’m a Villa fan, it’s pretty much all I’ve ever known, I’m happy with it. You sound like you have higher aspirations TRO

For Sure, always will have.....Once you have the taste of a Championship Title or a European Cup, you want more....or even to challenge for such things or even have the players and manager to give you hope.

I have lived through it, I have seen it and touched it.....and it is not as elusive as folk make out.....its getable if you have the desire and will to go an get it.

Its elusive sure, because we recruit the wrong people to acquire it.

so what are we striving for, or aren't we?

is it just turn up, have a burger and a programme, sing a bit and go home?......That is not my aspiration.

I am old enough to give up and settle for mediocrity.......Never, never, never.....will I do that.

While teams like Liverpool, get shut of the likes of Rodgers to appoint Klopp.....That kind of pursuit of success will always be in me for Villa.

Sure I have to live with what we are.....but I will never accept mediocrity as ok.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Precisely....so who is responsible for that?

You won't like to hear it but Steve Bruce left us with an unbalanced squad that we needed to sign 6 new defenders, a goalkeeper, striker and couple of wingers. 

Midfield was our strongest area as a squad after the playoff final

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You won't like to hear it but Steve Bruce left us with an unbalanced squad that we needed to sign 6 new defenders, a goalkeeper, striker and couple of wingers. 

Midfield was our strongest area as a squad after the playoff final

Its not a case of liking to hear it, its more of a case of its relevance to the here and now.

Tell me a manager of ours that left a fully functioning oven ready team to challenge.....what you are saying is the case for just about every manager that takes over a club....what was Bruce Left?

Its a worn out record of excuses.

We never started the season with enough strikers, thar wasn't Bruces fault was it.....rarely is a situation perfect.

may I remind you Steve Bruce himself was left a team incapable of keeping a clean sheet much the same as now.....so he didn't get handed a perfect baton.

Look it sounds like I am making a case for Steve Bruce, no I am not....I am glad he is not our manager, but your excuses are frayed......Dean has been with us 18 months, you can't keep barking on about the previous managers shortfalls and blaming him for now.

The fact you didn't like Bruces style of football, neither did I as a matter of fact.....don't make up excuses to satisfy your agenda.

Completely irrelevant to the point. Nobody cares who Bruce was left with. 

His mismanagement is the reason other parts of the squad were urgently required over midfield

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

but so is a lot of our promotion winning team, we already needed to sign 12 players in different positions in the summer with quite a small budget

He is also our 2nd top scorer in all competitions after Jack

This is where I am with him. I dont think he or others expected him to play as much football as he has at this level. We bought 3 or 4 £10-15mil midfielders in the summer. The reason he has played so much is because they haven't been the standard we'd hoped.

He was never going to make a McGinn or Grealish type impact. 

37 minutes ago, turvontour said:

This is where I am with him. I dont think he or others expected him to play as much football as he has at this level. We bought 3 or 4 £10-15mil midfielders in the summer. The reason he has played so much is because they haven't been the standard we'd hoped.

He was never going to make a McGinn or Grealish type impact. 

Has McGinn really made that much of an impact this season compared to last season?

When McGinn and Grealish were playing earlier on in the season we didn't exactly win many games. Couldn't even beat a 10 man Arsenal under a very struggling Unai Emery.

Last season Jack and McGinn were similar in terms of performance. This season Jack has been levels above McGinn

3 hours ago, TRO said:

At no time during Deans 18 months have I heard any sign from him that we need a midfield General.....He keeps faffing around with lightweight midfielders and can't seem to see the real issue.

Because he's a professional who doesn't cry to the press at any problem, trying to protect himself like Bruce and Sherwood.

I'm sure he isn't happy with the players he's been given, how can he be? You want him to come out and say he doesn't have players? How does that help?

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Without Hourihane goals we probably wouldnt be in this league. We didnt look like scoring vs West Brom last season until he came on

Smith's loss of faith in Hourihane is alarming. Bournemouth away for example. Absolutely made for him. Sat in the opposition half against 10 men and he brought Trez on ahead of him. Marvelous of course ballooned two useless shots over the bar second half, no doubt in my mind Conor would have scored at least one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Completely irrelevant to the point. Nobody cares who Bruce was left with. 

His mismanagement is the reason other parts of the squad were urgently required over midfield

The mess he was allowed to make was criminal. The same will perhaps be said of Suso in 12 months, such a shame.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We never started the season with enough strikers, thar wasn't Bruces fault was it.

He spent £12m on Scott Hogan and had hardly seen him play. Yet another hole he'd left. An unusable £12m player on £40k a week. A striker. That's his fault yes.

If we go down he stays for me and I will be happy with that. If we stay up he should be moved on.

Be interesting to know what his new contract puts him on and if we are in another Lansbury too much dough to shift situation.

I hope not. He shouldn't be on a PL salary

Â