Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

When you look at we've conceded 4 goals when Conor was not on the field and only 1 when he was on

He can't be that bad defensively and what he offers going forward with set pieces in my opinion in this league especially as chances will be few and far between

If we can someone with his dead ball skills it's got be worth at least 10 goals a season which can only help us 

For me it has be 4 2 3 1 formation with him and luiz sitting kinda similar to the way Leicester play 

Correlation isn't causation. There were plenty of factors that contributed to those goals conceded. Conor wouldn't be able to do anything about that Heaton howler on 45 seconds for example.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Correlation isn't causation. There were plenty of factors that contributed to those goals conceded. Conor wouldn't be able to do anything about that Heaton howler on 45 seconds for example.

Indeed.

And drawing conclusions from, or predicting likelihoods of, an individuals impact on goals from 3 hours of football is, well, how does one put it politely ...?

.....don’t think I can, actually.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yes you can say that but you could also say he might have closed the space down for the pass that led to Heatons mistake 

A lot of defensive football is about anticipating danger and closing down the space

It doesn't even have to tackle but we'll never know that as he wasnt playing  

19 hours ago, gaffer85 said:

Yes you can say that but you could also say he might have closed the space down for the pass that led to Heatons mistake 

A lot of defensive football is about anticipating danger and closing down the space

It doesn't even have to tackle but we'll never know that as he wasnt playing  

too true.

28 minutes ago, Skruff said:

Should come in instead of El Ghazi. Play with a diamond. With trezeguet and Wesley up top. 

ye, good idea, lets just change our formation up for no good reason.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

ye, good idea, lets just change our formation up for no good reason.

El ghazi isn't near performing at the moment. I'd rather have Hourihane in the team. I feel he would contribute a lot more, then an ineffective winger. 

Having an attacking midfielder in a free role instead of a winger wouldn't change much in the way we set up and play. We're quite fluid all ready. 

For a while I’ve really wanted to see us try a diamond in midfield. With the current squad this would be either Conor or Jack or Jota in the 10, then Luiz/Marvellous sitting, and SJM and JG/CH in the two. Midfield is our clear strength, and I really think this diamond could allow us to make it even stronger. We won’t do it, as with Targett injured we wouldn’t have the attacking threat from the left, and we don’t really have a second striker who we could justify starting (although Wes and Keinan up front would be a real handful!), but every time Conor plays further forward than DM he seems to score. I also really want him in the side for his set pieces, and because I really root for him when he’s playing, so hopefully we can see it at some point in the future, as I can’t see him getting a start in the prem aside from injuries/suspensions otherwise!

• Like 1

Great to see Conor on the score sheet again. Just a reminder of what he can do for the manager. Love how he works so hard on his game and knuckles down when out of the team. Ultimate professional.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

At the expense of who? 

You better not say Grealish! 

NEVER! 

Listen, I ent the manager, I don’t know who to drop, they all deserve to play. 

So so nice to have actually decent options on the bench isn’t it. 🤗

• Like 1

Â