Gareth Southgate

Richard

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's a middle manager at a mid sized firm isn't he?

Haha, that's mad. I saw the clip yesterday and assumed it was one of the AI generated ones.  But it's real! He actually said that.

Speechless.

Surely the Toney sub was just Southgate acknowledging that the game had gone and he'd promised Ivan that he'd get on the pitch at some point in the tournament? I refuse to believe there was anything tactical involved in making that substitution with a couple of minutes to go.

The most poorly coached team in the tournament 'managed' by the biggest chancer in the game getting bailed out yet again by a world-class player pulling a moment of magic out of nowhere... England have been very fortunate so far that they've come up against poor/mediocre opponents who never really pressed them consistently (Denmark were quite aggressive at times). I think Switzerland will show Southgate how an actual progressive team plays and I think it will be quite a painful watch. Unless we fluke another result in spite of Garethball, which is probably what will happen! 😂

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

The most poorly coached team in the tournament 'managed' by the biggest chancer in the game getting bailed out yet again by a world-class player pulling a moment of magic out of nowhere.

This right here is the only match report anyone needs about last night.

51 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Surely the Toney sub was just Southgate acknowledging that the game had gone and he'd promised Ivan that he'd get on the pitch at some point in the tournament? I refuse to believe there was anything tactical involved in making that substitution with a couple of minutes to go.

The most poorly coached team in the tournament 'managed' by the biggest chancer in the game getting bailed out yet again by a world-class player pulling a moment of magic out of nowhere... England have been very fortunate so far that they've come up against poor/mediocre opponents who never really pressed them consistently (Denmark were quite aggressive at times). I think Switzerland will show Southgate how an actual progressive team plays and I think it will be quite a painful watch. Unless we fluke another result in spite of Garethball, which is probably what will happen! 😂

Toney is an extra attacker to throw on when you are needing a goal...

Also he takes a penalty if it was to get that far...

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Toney is an extra attacker to throw on when you are needing a goal...

Also he takes a penalty if it was to get that far...

I don't argue with the the rationale behind it, but the timing suggests a manager who was fully out of ideas/hope.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

He did similar in the last game. He put Trent and Gordon on in the 84th and 89th minutes and then said afterwards he made attacking changes to win the game. It makes me so mad he keeps getting out of jail.

• Like 2

Honestly don't think I'll bother watching our next game, I'm at the point where this man has sucked out every single bit of enjoyment that I can get from watching England play.

I'm at the point where if we win I'll be pissed off that he is going to be getting all the plaudits and they'll trot out all the stats that supposedly show him as the greatest manager that's ever lived and if we get beat I'll be pissed off and I'll be blaming him regardless.

I just don't care enough to actively piss myself off with it now.

Cheers Gareth, you **** knob head

• Like 4

Southgate basically claiming that everything is going to plan and his changes won the game is either the most deluded attitude I've ever seen and likely a sign that he's lost his mind completely.

Or its a smokescreen to give the illusion things are fine and to keep the squad from panicing or wilting under the pressure. Maybe I'm giving Southgate far too much credit.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I actually think more English fans want to see him fail than succeed at this point. 

It seems that way. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Southgate did the impossible after Euro 2016. Made the England team likable and far removed from golden generation of inter club rivalries and massive egos causing toxicity in the squad.

He also got the whole country behind them. From Iceland to its coming home memes inside two years.

Now though, the team is playing as badly as they ever have and fans despise him. He should have quit after the 2022 World Cup for his and as we're now seeing, the teams benefit.

All that said, he's in the QF with a nice draw and three games away from winning it.

• Like 2

Â