Gareth Southgate

Richard

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It is a unique situation really because we’re unbeaten and top of the group but everyone is so disappointed.

It doesn’t feel like this has happened to this extreme before. It feels a bit brattish, but the frustration is that we’re way off where we expect to be, and that any half decent side will pick us apart easily, as soon as we play them.

Its not about the results so far, it’s the performances and the feeling of impending disaster going forward.

The previous game was poor and we all hoped for a bit of a reaction. Higher intensity, a stronger desire, more risk taking against a poor side. It felt like a step back which is a big part of the anger and frustration.

Theres just no movement in the opposition half. The ball is with the defenders on the half way line and everyone is stood rooted the spot waiting for something to happen. It’s so basic, lazy, fearful, whatever you want to call it.

There is an alternative thought.....we are not as good as we thought we was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think you are right Paul......but it's hard to get excited about a Donkey, who wants to lie on the floor.

I can just visualise a wildly gesticulating guy waving his arms, to his hearts content, shout and screaming encouragement at the animal, only for him to lift his eye lid and thinking ...........Pratt.

No it is hard to get excited. But it's easy to get carried away with this wave of negativity. We've seen England sides fail to qualify for tournaments.  In 92 we scored one goal by our own David Platt. Under Hodgson we lost tobloody Iceland. It shouid be better but we are in the last 16 possibly to plsy Netherands who have their own problems only finishing third in their group and over relying on a 30 year old who failed at Man  

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

He had a good option , Grealish......if he chose to ignore that, that's on him.

He should have taken Grealish but I really think the main problem on the left is Trippier.

The “inside forward” type of modern winger works absolutely fine if you have an overlapping fullback to put in crosses.

It’s why the left footed LB is so important in Emery’s system. Most players are right footed, so you want someone with a good left foot to put in out swinging crosses, and then it gives the Foden / Grealish type player freedom to roam inside.

Southgate thought Trippier could offer injury cover at LB, but clearly he is wrong, and it’s butchered his whole attack. He should have just taken a slightly less capable natural LB to cover for Shaw. It’s not like they don’t exist.

OR if he wasn’t comfortable with playing an inferior natural LB, play Trippier there, but start a proper left wing wide player like Gordon.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

He had a good option , Grealish......if he chose to ignore that, that's on him.

More the same with Grealish I think. This is on him yes not picking the right players in the right positions. Bellingham looks knackered because he's running around chasing the ball too much.  My point is despite the mood he can change things to achieve better results. Use the whole width of the  pitch. Have runners going In behind them. If you pick Kane you need a Raahford and Sterling either side. Not Foden and Saka.  Obviously they are not in the squad but he has players like Gordon. Bowen and Eze who are under used.  Else he should be brave abd drop Kane for Watkins

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Would anyone take Pep? He's off after this season surely.

Nah.

1) He wouldn't want the gig

2) I don't feel like he'd have enough time with the players to implement his ideas

3) I just don't like him

• Like 1

Dean Smith is probably one of the better English managers around.

Potter / Howe the leading two? Then maybe Dyche or Gary O’Neill…

Think the other home nations; Moyes, Steve Cooper, Rob Edwards and McKenna are pretty underwhelming too (not that McKenna or Cooper would take it. Moyes might).

Edited by Cizzler

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you are right Paul......but it's hard to get excited about a Donkey, who wants to lie on the floor.

I can just visualise a wildly gesticulating guy waving his arms, to his hearts content, shout and screaming encouragement at the animal, only for him to lift his eye lid and thinking ...........Pratt.

Yet you were Gerrard biggest fans and thought was second coming of Fergie

Â