Gareth Southgate

Richard

bit of a side to Southgate this and more england in general - 

how many capped players off the record are we now?

with then me looking at the next couple of years thinking we potentially have rogers, JJ and IJ whereas spurs have skipp and scarlett (which wont happen)

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

with then me looking at the next couple of years thinking we potentially have rogers, JJ and IJ whereas spurs have skipp and scarlett (which wont happen)

Who is IJ?

We are 3 behind Spurs but our players combined won 450 caps and Spurs have over 1000 caps. Only 14 Villa players won double figures in caps

Edited by Zatman

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Who is IJ?

We are 3 behind Spurs but our players combined won 450 caps and Spurs have over 1000 caps. Only 14 Villa players won double figures in caps

illing junior who for me is both an outsider but at the same time he is part of the U21 set up and if we successfully convert him to a proper attacking LB England are desperate in that position 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

You make a fair point about the next couple of years, but beyond that Spurs have probably the most talented age group in the country, eg Lankshear, Soonsup-Bell, Mikey Moore, so if those guys live up to their potential the gap will soon be widening again. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Spurs have probably the most talented age group in the country, eg Lankshear, Soonsup-Bell, Mikey Moore, so if those guys live up to their potential the gap will soon be widening again. 

Are these names from ISS Pro? Ryan Griggs. David Backham. And bringing this back and relevant to the thread: Gareth Southgote. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

So on this, I know everyone hates The FA but they have done so well around inclusivity and building the English football brand. Big credit there. But this is not much to do with Southgate. I’m sure he definitely does deserve some credit for it and is definitely a great ambassador, but I’m sure the likes of Potter and Howe probably would be as well. I don’t know think the role of the England football manager has become part of governance as some people seem to think it has.

Ultimately this should not change the football side, however. You can be a great ambassador and a great manager. They aren’t mutually exclusive. 

4 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

Euros and World Cup bring out people at work who don't give league football the time of day. When they ask me what I thought of the game and I say, "Well, it's pretty painful watching us under Southgate", then they'll say something like "But England are top of their group, aren't they?" and go on about how much of a nice guy he is and how inclusive/pro-mental health the England PR seems these days.

I'm sure Southgate believes this is who makes up the bulk of England fans whereas the complainers are those dratted 'legacy' ones who are supposedly on the way out.

Indeed. When people at work ask you if you watched the game you have to go with your gut on if they are actually football people or not before you reply with "Yeah the performance wasn't great but you can't argue with the results" or the old " Yeah it was complete dog shit, our luck will run out against the big boys and the bloke is an utter word removed."

Surprised by it cos it's unlike Southgate to be stubborn...

Last group game, moaning players aren't Fitz surely must see foden isn't working, last chance to try something and unearth someone who can be a spark and he does absolutely **** all 

On 21/06/2024 at 00:03, Zatman said:

It would have been a crime against football if England won the last Euros and allowing Southgate to win a trophy

Well, unless he'd actually bloody gone for it for a bloody change, shit or bust. 

I can understand not a complete change as still want to top the group and avoid the Germans (you’d think they would be facing a 3rd place team not second, as favourable home draws). But Ollie, Palmer, Konsa and Wharton/Mainoo should all start 

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

😂😂 this guy has no idea how to control games. Let's put the grafter on over someone who can actually help us have control.

Putting any midfielder in midfielder is literally better than a right back who has no clue what's going on around him.

Southgate has managed to unite the country...

in creating memes about how **** boring we are.

The BBC comments on us qualifying are actually pretty funny for once.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Putting any midfielder in midfielder is literally better than a right back who has no clue what's going on around him.

Well yeah but it's still not enough

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

😂😂 this guy has no idea how to control games. Let's put the grafter on over someone who can actually help us have control.

Gallagher usually played as the more advanced midfielder ahead of Enzo & Caicedo for Chelsea, but after Enzo's injury near the end of the season he looked fairly decent alongside Caicedo in the double pivot. Whether Southgate can get Gallagher performing as well in that role as Pochettino did is another matter though.

Gallagher in for Trent is good move. But I said in the other thread we need more than that. It isn't going to fix the team

I do think it will help but it's literally the minimum we could expect.

• Like 1

Â