Gareth Southgate

Richard

47 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

As long as the players have fun times splashing around in the camp,  that's all that really matters despite stinking out four major tournaments on the pitch.

I keep hearing this from him. Definitely seems to be his priority, which should be pretty obvious knowing that he's not much of a coach.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

What's most astonishing is that people seem genuinely surprised by how bad England are. He's been a terrible manager for years, people just didn't want to see the truth because the results were okay.

Yep. It's been pretty annoying actually.

Best manager since Alf Ramsey etc etc. By what margin? Beating a load of shit teams? Losing to every good team? With the best selection of players England have ever ever had.

Real surface level buffoonery.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not a huge fan of Klopp. But God damm, im sure he could turn this team into the Man City of international football.

Without the cheating ofcourse 😂

The sad thing is that even when the FA have gone for “top” managers with a track record, it’s still been ones who are quite conservative in their style.

What we really need is a feel good maverick type, Keegan was like that but was completely tactically inept, and Venables was the last one who combined personality with some tactical nous.

Reality is though, the maverick type would get hounded out by the press. Southgate is the manager our journalists deserve. They demand this type of manager.

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

That's exactly it for all those trying to defend him. It's completely indefensible. 

Most on here have know this for years, the rest of the world seem to have been bamboozled into thinking he's some great manager. He was just carried by moments of brilliance from players, lucky draws and a general dearth of top international teams. 

This should have been our time.

I'm not sure what you mean by this bit (as in other countries or the rest of the "England supporting" world.  But I watched England's first match on German TV and the last two on Italian TV.  In general the Italian commentary teams / pundits are really good and pretty fair.  Of course they want Italy to do well and celebrate when they do - but I have found they are fair less "nationalistic" than their English counterparts.  For example, before the last Euro final they did a really good analysis of the England team and the key English players that was informed, informative and comprehensive - whereas I bet the English guys probably couldn't have named which clubs most of the Italian players played for.  The Italians have been really discussing at length why so many players have been in brilliant form for their clubs and yet so poor so far in this tournament.  And this isn't in a let's knock all the other teams type of way.  I think they know Italy have no chance but even so I've found that they are pretty fair in their analysis anyway (almost like they are paid for their expert opinion rather than just saying "yeah we're great we'll beat anyone else".  They are genuinely incredulous at how negative and risk averse England are and how confused the players look both on and off the ball.  They were all pretty much saying that England should be up there with the favourites but they look like a team that is scared of losing.  They did an equally interesting analysis yesterday on how much France are misfiring.  Their conclusion was that England are probably in a better place to France - problems look easier to fix and (once again Southgate being the lucky manager that he is) the draw has opened up really nicely for England.

5 minutes ago, allani said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this bit (as in other countries or the rest of the "England supporting" world.  But I watched England's first match on German TV and the last two on Italian TV.  In general the Italian commentary teams / pundits are really good and pretty fair.  Of course they want Italy to do well and celebrate when they do - but I have found they are fair less "nationalistic" than their English counterparts.  For example, before the last Euro final they did a really good analysis of the England team and the key English players that was informed, informative and comprehensive - whereas I bet the English guys probably couldn't have named which clubs most of the Italian players played for.  The Italians have been really discussing at length why so many players have been in brilliant form for their clubs and yet so poor so far in this tournament.  And this isn't in a let's knock all the other teams type of way.  I think they know Italy have no chance but even so I've found that they are pretty fair in their analysis anyway (almost like they are paid for their expert opinion rather than just saying "yeah we're great we'll beat anyone else".  They are genuinely incredulous at how negative and risk averse England are and how confused the players look both on and off the ball.  They were all pretty much saying that England should be up there with the favourites but they look like a team that is scared of losing.  They did an equally interesting analysis yesterday on how much France are misfiring.  Their conclusion was that England are probably in a better place to France - problems look easier to fix and (once again Southgate being the lucky manager that he is) the draw has opened up really nicely for England.

I meant it as a figure of speech, not literally other nations.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's taking it badly isn't he, but it can't be easy for any manager when you win 0-0 and all you get is criticism.

He despises most of us fans is how it's coming across, like its mostly our fault. An stays on the players side by saying he's protecting them from the negativity we produce in the stands.

What a wally!

If he came out and said, "yes I know we have world class players who can do more, but this is how we have to play to progress." He would probably get a few more fans in his side. But instead he tries to justify the performance, by blaming fan negativity. 

Funny part is before the tournament on paper it was a group with a couple of potential tricky games but should win the group with ease with players available

England group has been the worst group in tournament and if swapped them with France or Dutch they I dont think they are getting out of the group

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, allani said:

As the old saying goes " teams generally mirror their manager"

I watch England, and feel exactly, that.

Devoid of any personality or courage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

The sad thing is that even when the FA have gone for “top” managers with a track record, it’s still been ones who are quite conservative in their style.

What we really need is a feel good maverick type, Keegan was like that but was completely tactically inept, and Venables was the last one who combined personality with some tactical nous.

Reality is though, the maverick type would get hounded out by the press. Southgate is the manager our journalists deserve. They demand this type of manager.

It's quite a topic on its own, what Journalists deserve.......The truth would be be novel.

• Thanks 1

I see people criticising England fans / pundits for suddenly being very harsh on Southgate, and while stuff like throwing pints is obviously completely wrong, this kind of backlash is what you get when you gaslight people for four years, insisting that the turgid football they're watching is actually perfectly acceptable and that the team is getting better. And then they turn up six years into your tenure looking worse than ever despite having the best squad. The mass awakening isn't pretty, but it's what you get when you suppress valid, well-intentioned criticism for years and fail to make any meaningful improvements.

Edited by jayEm
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m picturing Gareth back at the hotel chatting to his assistants frustratingly asking why EVERYONE else has got it so wrong? 

To be fair, Steve Holland is the coach, Gareth is the entertainment for the players, keeping them all happy, ya know, with blow up Unicorns, an playing darts with the media.

Â