Gareth Southgate

Richard

30 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Baffling responses: is there a sense of entitlement here or defensiveness? I don’t get it 

By his own admission there wasn't a lot of space centrally, so why didn't he play a LW than can go on the outside?!

33 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Baffling responses: is there a sense of entitlement here or defensiveness? I don’t get it 

I just can't get past the stupid ring on his forefinger. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

they have avoided Spain, France, Germany and Portugal. Netherlands more likely the next opponent followed by Italy or Swiss then Austria or Belgium maybe

The side of the draw looks to be irrelevant for this England side. Currently can't imagine beating a single one of the bolded sides anyway. 

7 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

He went full Bruce. Prefer for a that will shut a few people up when England next beat San Marino

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

In that interview he is insinuating that the negative atmosphere of the fans is why they are playing badly.

He is so full of s***

to be fair to them it sounded to me like they sang the great escape for 10+ minutes in the 2nd half

no doubt the kolsch helped but they boo at the end but they're generally ok during the game, they party all day, the atmosphere isnt that bad

6 hours ago, jayEm said:

This tournament is proving right all of us who have said since about 2020 that Southgate is just not good enough and England's progress is largely down to favourable draws. I didn't expect to be vindicated so thoroughly though. This current squad is better than the last three tournaments under him and somehow we look worse than ever. It's truly impressive.

It's sort of nice to (barring one of the biggest turnarounds in form in history) be having the last laugh over people who have for years called us spoilt, ungrateful, whiners, unreasonable perfectionists, whatever, but it's an entirely pyrrhic victory because this group of players performing this badly on the world stage is, in footballing terms, tragic.

For a few brief moments Southgate fixed the England national team culture, but then replaced it with his own different but equally flawed mentalities. He has replaced obnoxious entitlement not with humble grit and determination, but an exasperated embarrassment at any hint of aspirations or standards. Just as quickly as we saw a disconnected, disinterested team become one full of pride and togetherness, it has morphed again into an excuse-ridden, blame-shifting, overly-defensive unit. 

In the last analysis, even Southgate's cultural revolution will turn out to have been swapping one set of poor attributes for another as a result of his own stubborn refusal at self-examination or humility.

Yep agree with this, if he had any sense he would’ve gone after losing to France last WC (I wanted him gone a lot before). At that stage he at least could argue that they were unlucky and the media would go along with this and say what a good job he’d done and unified the team. By staying to this tournament he’s losing any grace he had and like you say shows that nothing has changed in an England shirt.

Â