Gareth Southgate

Richard

1 hour ago, Thug said:

Honestly don’t care.

Dont even think he’s done a bad job. (Changed from particularly shit)

But I can’t stand him for purely villa reasons.

I put a huge chunk of the blame squarely at his feet for Grealish’s departure.  Be it true or not.

He feeds the ‘Big 6’ machine.  His selection tactics promote player hoarding.  Players that aren’t playing for the clubs should be encouraged to move and play - but this asshole promoted players to swap starring roles playing week in week out to sitting on ‘Big 6’ benches.

He bullshits because he doesn’t have the balls to say the truth.  I’d have a lot more respect for him if he had just said ‘Grealish is not the kind of player that fits my system’ rather than come out with all the hypocritical crap about not having premier league experience - when he actually had - but proceed to pick Philips from the championship!

Utter prick.  I want him gone.

This. 

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

The England job might be a convenient get out for Potter at Chelsea, other than that I'm struggling to name many English managers.  It would probably go to someone like Gerrard.  I'm not sure the FA would go the foreign route again.  

Isnt Potter the record transfer fee for a manager ever.. Not sure Chelsea will even consider letting him go at this stage since they paid that fee

11 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Personally, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill tbh. It wasn't a death threat or racism. It was a football rant. From what I can gather, he hasn't picked out an individual's name for injury. So you are saying you have never wanted or wished a very good player out of a game against Villa through injury to improve our chances? It is the same thing imo. I think you are being disingenuous a bit.

It is not "weird" to have passion for or against something, it is human. He obviously wants Villa to stick it to England and the FA, fair enough.

Genuinely no :D 

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

With this group of players Dean Smith could easily do just as good if not better than Southgate.

And I say this as somebody who doesn't necessarily rate Smith as highly as some others on here do. Fact is Southgate is a shit manager with good PR.

Any Villa fan that doesn't think this a guaranteed Brexiteer weirdo.

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To be that angry and against something that has no direct impact on your life?

I don't think it's healthy personally

I think it is good to get it off your chest one way or another, unhealthy to bottle it. If you not emotional about Villa/football then I question why you would follow it IMO. Obviously there are lines you can't and shouldn't cross. That said, I can't stand apathy in football. 

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

Personally, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill tbh. It wasn't a death threat or racism. It was a football rant. From what I can gather, he hasn't picked out an individual's name for injury. So you are saying you have never wanted or wished a very good player out of a game against Villa through injury to improve our chances? It is the same thing imo. I think you are being disingenuous a bit.

It is not "weird" to have passion for or against something, it is human. He obviously wants Villa to stick it to England and the FA, fair enough.

If you say so

Dean Smith isn’t getting the England job 🤣 I love him, but he’s struggled to win over most of the fans at Norwich. He would get annihilated by the press and England fans within weeks.

(And yes, I agree, tactically he would be better than Southgate, but international football is a weird juggling act where you have to appease the tabloid press and keep all the football tourists happy.)

• Like 1

Best thing he can do for England is leave. As soon as we meet anyone any good we wilt under the lack of believe he has in us. 

We have the strongest squad in then world and go out underachieving. We had enough to beat France if he had played our strongest team. 

19 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think he has.

It's a combination of two things that kind of blend into one.

As I said, this group of players and people are just generally much friendlier than the last lot. That's helped by social media so there's a lot more 'staying in touch' with people who you would normally not have spoke much to 20 years ago.

These millionaire 18-30 year olds don't have too many other mates in a similar situation to them, so they stay in touch with plenty on WhatsApp and Instagram etc. 

The other thing is purely social media/increased amount of media in general. It's a PR machine. Clubs, or in this case countries, can put out whatever they want. So they can put out constant positive interviews which get fans on side. No problem with it. It's what everyone does.

If Allardyce had stayed and was still in situ now, he'd be getting the credit of changing the culture. Plus we'd have won the Euros.

This is just complete and utter revisionism based on basically nothing.

Edited by Stevo985

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

To be that angry and against something that has no direct impact on your life?

I don't think it's healthy personally

Same as grown men crying when you lose a cup game. Its the passion of the game makes you do unsual thjngs when your attached to something 

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Behave 😂

100% for me. We didn't have to do anything special to win that euros. And we still blew it.

Allardyce obviously a better manager than Southgate. You can pick any old muppet and the result would have been a win.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This is just complete and utter revisionism based on basically nothing.

It's based on the squad and the world in 2022.

If he does go (fingers crossed so we can win one of the next two tournaments), England won't revert to 2010 cliques and not talking to each other with people like Rice, Grealish, Rashford, Saka and Stones around will they.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

100% for me. We didn't have to do anything special to win that euros. And we still blew it.

Allardyce obviously a better manager than Southgate. You can pick any old muppet and the result would have been a win.

I mean I don't really share your conclusions on their respective managerial merits, but the most absurd idea is that the guy who left after blabbing to an undercover journalist while drinking a pint of wine would be 'getting credit for changing the culture'. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean I don't really share your conclusions on their respective managerial merits, but the most absurd idea is that the guy who left after blabbing to an undercover journalist while drinking a pint of wine would be 'getting credit for changing the culture'. 

Pint of wine will always make me laugh. So so good.

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's based on the squad and the world in 2022.

If he does go (fingers crossed so we can win one of the next two tournaments), England won't revert to 2010 cliques and not talking to each other with people like Rice, Grealish, Rashford, Saka and Stones around will they.

Who knows. It doesn't have to go back to cliques for it to be evident that Southgate has changed the culture.

This is akin to someone looking at a piece of art and saying "I could have done that"

They didn't. Southgate did. It's complete guesswork to suggest that the culture would have changed exactly the way it has without him in charge. It might have, or it might have got worse. It's purely hypothetical. You don't have to go back to 2010. 2016 the culture and the team were still shit.
Every player or coach or anyone with any insight into the England team that I've seen asked about it, credits Southgate with at least part of that culture change. But no some guy on the internet reckons he had nothing to do with it.

He has been the man in charge and he has done it. He's severely lacking in other areas of being a manager, but this continued crusade to just pretend anything good he has done was pure luck is totally laughable. 

• Like 2

Â