Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I think it’s his most revealing and out of his depth response. Nobody will touch this clown once he leaves this job. 

He'll be Watford's 3rd choice when they're in league one, and that's only so they can sack him and get the media coverage that they have sacked a former England manager 😁

15 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I think it’s his most revealing and out of his depth response. Nobody will touch this clown once he leaves this 

He'll be the new Trevor Brooking, they won't sack him they'll give him a suit and a job for life standing around clapping at the fa Cup final 

I think Southgate has his favourites, and out of some kind of misguided loyalty he seems to think picking the same players even when out of form will benefit the team… it’s a strange tactic and I’m not sure one that many international mangers have done well with. It’s a bit like the Belgian side, excellent players but it hasn’t worked out, and a manager too afraid to drop his big name friends/favourites. 

One of the great things about football is that it’s a meritocracy where it doesn’t matter who you are, what school you went to, how rich your parents are; if you’re good enough then you’re good enough. Southgate’s squad picking style, of retaining the same faves because of ‘loyalty’, goes against that in my opinion which will be to the detriment of the national side (and his reputation as a manager).

Edited by alreadyexists

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I think Southgate has his favourites, and out of some kind of misguided loyalty he seems to think picking the same players even when out of form will benefit the team… it’s a strange tactic and I’m not sure one that many international mangers have done well with. It’s a bit like the Belgian side, excellent players but it hasn’t worked out, and a manager too afraid to drop his big name friends/favourites. 

One of the great things about football is that it’s a meritocracy where it doesn’t matter who you are, what school you went to, how rich your parents are; if you’re good enough then you’re good enough. Southgate’s squad picking style, of retaining the same faves because of ‘loyalty’, goes against that in my opinion which will be to the detriment of the national side (and his reputation as a manager).

This is kind of a bizarre opinion when he's done better than any other manager in my lifetime. Whatever you think of it, the idea it has been 'to the detriment of the national side' seems extremely hard to substantiate. 

• Like 2

This bloke just kills the 'if you play well you can play for England' ethic. You can now sit on the bench at your club for 70% of a season and this word removed will pick you. Yet you could hit some good form but get overlooked because you play for Villa.... Mings, Watkins both deserved a call up. Would not surprise me to Carney Chukwuemeka get called up next! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is kind of a bizarre opinion when he's done better than any other manager in my lifetime. Whatever you think of it, the idea it has been 'to the detriment of the national side' seems extremely hard to substantiate. 

It’s not bizarre! 😆

He has done the best in my lifetime too though to be fair.

I just think the relative success is hard to fully ascribe to Southgate though, I think this generation of players are excellent and there is serious quality and depth, more than we have had for years. Could another manager get more out of the squad by not picking favourites? Who knows, I believe so, but it’s an unanswerable question.

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I just think the relative success is hard to fully ascribe to Southgate though, I think this generation of players are excellent and there is serious quality and depth, more than we have had for years. Could another manager get more out of the squad by not picking favourites? Who knows, I believe so, but it’s an unanswerable question.

His strength is in the team bond he's created and players not being in cliques and wanting to play for England. Before him it wasn't (mostly) like that under a long sequence of managers. He's also got a lot of good midfielders and forward players to pick from. And he's got them playing well.

Where he's not so good is the in-game aspects. time and time again he gets out thought during games - so England set up well, start well, then half time comes, the other manager changes things to counter what England did well first half and then we struggle much more. Mancini did it last night, and in the Euro 2020(21) final. Other managers have done it too. You'd hope him and his coaches would improve in that respect, but there's no sign of it.

In terms of selections all managers to an extent make "odd" choices for squads or teams, and it's always been like that. They all have what appear to be blind spots or favourites or whatever. But they also know the players far far better than either the media commentators or the fans, so as long as they win, or do well most of the time, we have to live with our favourites not getting in, or ones we don't rate getting in. I mean last night almost no one would have picked the Leeds /Man City player, but with Henderson injured/not fully fit, who do you put in instead?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

His strength is in the team bond he's created and players not being in cliques and wanting to play for England. Before him it wasn't (mostly) like that under a long sequence of managers. He's also got a lot of good midfielders and forward players to pick from. And he's got them playing well.

Where he's not so good is the in-game aspects. time and time again he gets out thought during games - so England set up well, start well, then half time comes, the other manager changes things to counter what England did well first half and then we struggle much more. Mancini did it last night, and in the Euro 2020(21) final. Other managers have done it too. You'd hope him and his coaches would improve in that respect, but there's no sign of it.

In terms of selections all managers to an extent make "odd" choices for squads or teams, and it's always been like that. They all have what appear to be blind spots or favourites or whatever. But they also know the players far far better than either the media commentators or the fans, so as long as they win, or do well most of the time, we have to live with our favourites not getting in, or ones we don't rate getting in. I mean last night almost no one would have picked the Leeds /Man City player, but with Henderson injured/not fully fit, who do you put in instead?

The cliques thing seems to have died down a lot more in general and I think it would have happened whoever the manager was.

Player's engage more outside of clubs now and chat together a lot over social media and gaming. 

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The cliques thing seems to have died down a lot more in general and I think it would have happened whoever the manager was.

Player's engage more outside of clubs now and chat together a lot over social media and gaming. 

I'd argue there are two cliques now. Man City, and England. And both are closely tied together. 

Doesn't matter if Phillips played no football this season. He gets in. 

That's a national clique if you ask me. 

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'd argue there are two cliques now. Man City, and England. And both are closely tied together. 

Scum 6 clique more like it. If you dont play for them then you are encouraged to 😳

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I agree about the national clique bit but not sure on the club cliques. Grealish is supposedly really good friends with Saka. I'm sure it's the same for other players too.

Edited by Rds1983

The only clicks I'm interested in is someone pulling the trigger on Southgate with a 9mm. 

He may well have created a decent dressing room in the England set up that isn't as clique as previous, but it isn't hard when you've been picking the same players for several years and they've a combined mentality of a 10 year old. 

• Haha 2

He's not rubbish. His man management skills are excellent. The players love playing for him but I think he's lacking in game management skills and I think it was time to try something fresh after the world cup

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He's not rubbish. His man management skills are excellent. The players love playing for him but I think he's lacking in game management skills and I think it was time to try something fresh after the world cup

Took off a player 12 minutes after putting him on. Great man management skills

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Took off a player 12 minutes after putting him on. Great man management skills

Was forced to

He could have taken saka off I guess but foden is more lightweight 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â