Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

• 1 month later...

Big Nose Strikes Again

"I never want to be in a position where my presence is affecting the team in a negative way.

"I didn't believe that was the case, but I just wanted a period after the World Cup to reflect and make sure that was still how it felt."

No, of course, you're the bestest coach ever Garth. 

FlippantSmallHen-max-1mb.gif

Edited by TheAuthority

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It would be a valid argument if there weren't several viable options in the PL that he had inexplicably overlooked. 

Plus, is he basically declaring that he is currently ignoring players in the championship and overseas? I mean, we know he is from the Grealish saga, and the Tomori omission this time around, but for him to actually come out and say it is quite the climb down from his arriving mantra.

62 English players played the last PL game round. If there were more English players good enough to be playing, they'd be playing.

Finally Gareth, if 62 English players in the top flight isn't good enough for you to pick from, and you don't want to pick from anywhere else, maybe you're the problem.

This is possibly the single most stupid thing he has said in charge, and he's said plenty of other stupid things too. 

I think it’s his most revealing and out of his depth response. Nobody will touch this clown once he leaves this job. 

The 'elsewhere' part is stupid, he should be considering players based overseas (and clearly is, since Bellingham is in the squad and Tomori and Abraham have made previous squads, as did Sancho while overseas) but come on, surely nobody thinks we should be starting Championship players. 

53 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The 'elsewhere' part is stupid, he should be considering players based overseas (and clearly is, since Bellingham is in the squad and Tomori and Abraham have made previous squads, as did Sancho while overseas) but come on, surely nobody thinks we should be starting Championship players. 

Surely, your description shows that the "elsewhere" part is sensible, not "stupid", as "elsewhere" includes overseas?

Southgate: "I think we've got four left-footed left-backs in the Premier League at the moment so we will have to start looking in the Championship or elsewhere."

Seems sensible also to at least look if he does not think that the Prem has enough coverage for the specific position he states here.

2 hours ago, Lunarsea said:

Southgate: "I think we've got four left-footed left-backs in the Premier League at the moment so we will have to start looking in the Championship or elsewhere."

In order of number of appearances this season:

Henry, Burn, Mitchell, Shaw, Cresswell, Chilwell, Toffolo, Targett, Thomas

So that's 9 left footed left backs with 164 appearances between them this season. Chilwell and Shaw obviously the two in the squad (also the only two at a "big 6" club...), Mitchell and Cresswell the only others with caps - 2 and 3 respectively. Cresswell's last was 2017. He's had more PL apps than either of them since then, and more last season than Shaw and Chilwell combined. He never pick Targett either when he was an option playing well and regularly for us. Burn is a regular starter at left back in a side 5th in the table. Henry has played more PL games than all listed except Mitchell the last two seasons for a side currently 8th.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'd have more time for that argument if it was obvious he's taken a serious look at a range of players. But he hasn't. He picks his favourites from the usual suspect sides and has to be dragged through fire to give chances to anyone new. He has numerous chances to 'try' players, and he just refuses to. Pointless friendlies, he just puts out the same players he always does. He doesn't even try new ways of playing, we just play the same awful mind numbing defensive shite.

**** him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lunarsea said:

Surely, your description shows that the "elsewhere" part is sensible, not "stupid", as "elsewhere" includes overseas?

I mean, it was stupid of Southgate to add 'or elsewhere' after the words 'The Championship'. 

41 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

In order of number of appearances this season:

Henry, Burn, Mitchell, Shaw, Cresswell, Chilwell, Toffolo, Targett, Thomas

So that's 9 left footed left backs with 164 appearances between them this season. Chilwell and Shaw obviously the two in the squad (also the only two at a "big 6" club...), Mitchell and Cresswell the only others with caps - 2 and 3 respectively. Cresswell's last was 2017. He's had more PL apps than either of them since then, and more last season than Shaw and Chilwell combined. He never pick Targett either when he was an option playing well and regularly for us. Burn is a regular starter at left back in a side 5th in the table. Henry has played more PL games than all listed except Mitchell the last two seasons for a side currently 8th.

Even if that’s not enough you go to Mings before you go to the championship. This guy is hilarious. Genuinely I think I hate more than anyone in the world except Putin.

oh I forgot all the Tories. But clearly he is one. You can’t be that much of a word removed and not be a Tory.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Even if that’s not enough you go to Mings before you go to the championship. This guy is hilarious. Genuinely I think I hate more than anyone in the world except Putin.

oh I forgot all the Tories. But clearly he is one. You can’t be that much of a word removed and not be a Tory.

Yeah, there's a few left footed CBs and midfielders that have PL starts at left back that I didn't included in the list. Then the predominantly right footers with PL starts at left back.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Rather Putin to be fair.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wasn't he going on about having to pick right footed players for LB in the press conference?

I mean you've only got Rico Henry around who in last 5 years has gone from league one to top half premier league playing pretty much every game and looking very comfortable at premier league level at both ends.

He's exactly the type who should be called up post major tournament to have a look at in the early qualifiers and whenever the nations league is. Can get 30 minutes here and there and then look at him in training aswell.

For Southgate not to call up a regular for team that's lost one premier league game in about five months and then moan about lack of options in that position is pathetic.

I don't want to get too far into defending him because he is becoming more than a bit of a parody, but whatever the whinging we have two good LBs in the squad in Shaw and Chilwell and that's all that's needed. I'm sure he'll call up Henry before calling up a Championship player anyway. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â