Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

Interesting thing is it proves Southgate doesn't have any significant anti-Villa bias.

He just doesn't know what to do with creative players. Foden is getting the same treatment as Grealish in the Euros.

Southgate likes his attacking players to be hardworking, quick, functional players who keep it simple. He hates anyone (Grealish, Foden, Maddison, Trent, Sancho etc etc) who has those little flashes of inspiration and can actually unlock a defence.

**** depressing when you watch Brazil or Spain, and see what's possible when a manager lets his side attack in numbers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Same setup as against Iran. So you csn understand he didn't want to change things. I thought the players were just not at it tonight.  The midfield was second best. 

It’s almost like different opposition requires different setups 

• Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 08:54, Stevo985 said:

Yep I don't dislike him as a person. And he's clearly a very good man manager, that's his biggest asset. The players all love him and he has completely transformed the england team off the pitch. That's his legacy.

I dislike his football. I think tactically he's poor most of the time, and that's what holds him back.

But as a person and a man manager, there's nothing wrong with him

I think tonight showed why the above, whilst admirable, isn’t enough to win a major tournament. 

Maybe he’ll prove me wrong, but if you can’t react to the way the US set up tonight and win the game then we are in trouble once we come up against a team of real quality. 

Again he’s a good guy, and he’s done a good job with England. But he won’t win us a trophy

• Like 4

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Come on Rob!

The bigger the circle for each player the higher the number of passes they made, the colour indicates if they made useful passes or not (red bad green good) the thicker the line between each player the more times that pass was played, again same colour coding

Waht you can take from that is that Rice makes a lot of passes that ultimately mean nothing

If you then get the same graphic for tonight I'd expect the average positions to be a lot deeper

You'd then also expect to see a lot more orange and red on it saying we made a lot of pointless passes

Based off this, I'm seeing that Kane didn't make or receive a pass all game?

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think tonight showed why the above, whilst admirable, isn’t enough to win a major tournament. 

Maybe he’ll prove me wrong, but if you can’t react to the way the US set up tonight and win the game then we are in trouble once we come up against a team of real quality. 

Again he’s a good guy, and he’s done a good job with England. But he won’t win us a trophy

He was a penalty shootout away from winning one last time.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought tonight showed why he has such a strong record in international tournaments. A draw all but guaranteed group qualification. He resisted the urge to chase the win that would have been nice but ultimately not necessary.

• Like 1

He liked foden at the euros but doesn’t like him now; he didn’t like grealish at the euros but does like him now. He’s changed his mind there for some reason and in any case I’d be nervous about viewing foden as a saviour at this stage: he probably won’t set the world alight him this team.

What has been consistent though is southgates love in for mason mount who gets picked for literally 90 mins of every game and does nothing. That annoys me more than anything else.

btw, anyone else think that trippier has been (surprisingly) shite so far. I’d drop him for TAA next game 

2 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

He liked foden at the euros but doesn’t like him now; he didn’t like grealish at the euros but does like him now. He’s changed his mind there for some reason and in any case I’d be nervous about viewing foden as a saviour at this stage: he probably won’t set the world alight him this team.

What has been consistent though is southgates love in for mason mount who gets picked for literally 90 mins of every game and does nothing. That annoys me more than anything else.

btw, anyone else think that trippier has been (surprisingly) shite so far. I’d drop him for TAA next game 

I agree. We miss the pace of walker 

1 minute ago, JPJCB said:

I’d have thought TAA would be another obvious sub to make in a game like last nights. We were crying out for some creativity and we have Foden and TAA sat on the bench.

I do find some of Southgate’s tactical decisions almost as baffling as Gerrard’s. If the initial setup doesn’t work then I don’t think he has a clue how to change it up to get a performance out of them. 

3 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I’d have thought TAA would be another obvious sub to make in a game like last nights. We were crying out for some creativity and we have Foden and TAA sat on the bench.

I do find some of Southgate’s tactical decisions almost as baffling as Gerrard’s. If the initial setup doesn’t work then I don’t think he has a clue how to change it up to get a performance out of them. 

TAA is in the squad because he's a Liverpool player

Southgate doesn't rate him or want him because he can't take the risk of his defending

9 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Southgate wont play TAA he doesn't even want him in the squad as he doesnt trust him. The only reason he called him up was to not get the Liverpool media backlash against him like he did last year when he dropped him

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

TAA is in the squad because he's a Liverpool player

Southgate doesn't rate him or want him because he can't take the risk of his defending

Whilst I kind of understand that reasoning against some of the top teams I don’t think the risk of his defending is massive against USA when we’re struggling to create any chances. He’s a brilliant passer and crosser of the ball.

By all means start with another right back but when the issue is a lack of creativity and you have players like TAA and Foden on the bench then use them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Whilst I kind of understand that reasoning against some of the top teams I don’t think the risk of his defending is massive against USA when we’re struggling to create any chances. He’s a brilliant passer and crosser of the ball.

By all means start with another right back but when the issue is a lack of creativity and you have players like TAA and Foden on the bench then use them.

They would have put Pulisic up against him 

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I thought tonight showed why he has such a strong record in international tournaments. A draw all but guaranteed group qualification. He resisted the urge to chase the win that would have been nice but ultimately not necessary.

And why we won’t win one

Think our issue was in the midfield, we lost control of the game there. Mount couldn't get a hold in the game, Rice worked hard and tried to break up play Bellingham huffed and puffed but again like Mount wasnt affective. 

Once we have lost control of the middle the wide players and Kane became isolated, feeding off long balls and hurried clearances.

Southgates in game management is poor, once we lose control of a game he doesn't change our shape and this plays into the hands of any opposition who has a decent coach. This can't be a surprise to anyone, hes has failed at this time and time again. 

The real shame is the squad we have is arguably the strongest we have ever had but I can't help thinking a good coach over the last few years would have led to one of not two trophies in the cabinet. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â