Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Though Ugo and Merse never got the same stick for it.

Think you mean Boateng. Merson of course played for Boro, but it was George who left us for them, Merse travelled in the opposite direction. My guess why people are more critical is that Southgate made more of a fuss about ambition and winning stuff compared to the other two, then ended up there. At least I don’t remember the other two kicking up a fuss.

This falls under part of the Southgate’s favourites point, but the whole needs to be have premier league experience/now needs to be playing in the upper quarter of the premier league…oh hello Kalvin, right this way! His form hasn’t been great this season, that’s why he hasn’t been chos…Ah there you are Kalvin, glad to see you’re well rested, saved you a seat!

I wouldn’t mind it if he just said “Look, I rate Phillips/whomever, I’m the manager, that’s why he’s here. If he doesn’t play well then you can criticise me.” Rather than setting this increasingly contradictory criteria for selection.

One thing I did/do admire him on is taking a stand on things like taking the knee etc. But having backed down under a threat of a yellow card (and I’m sure other pressures elsewhere), while yesterday’s opposition face a potentially worse fate than a yellow card back home…it’s a bit of a chink in the armour. 

But then I don’t really give too much of a shit about England or International football. I’m not really bothered about Villa players being selected for England, the only reason it’s of any interest to me is the idea that Villa are more attractive to players if they believe they can be called up while playing here. Beyond that,   meh.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Ugo went to Boro too iirc.

Yeah he did, I just meant swap Merse for Boateng to make the original statement correct.

Steve Harrison also left us to join Boro on the coaching staff there. 

Must have been something in the Teeside water around that time.

• Like 1

I hope he does decide to be more positive. 4-3-3 suits us better and yes we might be more vunerable to concede but out talent lies further up the pitch and it doesnt make sense to exclude one of them for a journeyman defender. I fear no team in this world cup. This is our chance to win it! Forget the form coming into the tournament it means nothing. Its tournament play that matters. 

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Is he not quitting after this?

Wishful thinking, his contract is until euro 2024, assuming we will then host 2028 he will see that cycle through too before walking away in to the FA executive director of something having overseen the winningest England team in history and zero trophies to show for it

But just think of all those great quarter finals, semi finals and finals he loses

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Wishful thinking, his contract is until euro 2024, assuming we will then host 2028 he will see that cycle through too before walking away in to the FA executive director of something having overseen the winningest England team in history and zero trophies to show for it

But just think of all those great quarter finals, semi finals and finals he loses

Is that your prediction for this World Cup then to complete the set?

5 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Credit where its due that team and formation against Iran is all us against Safegate have been asking for. 

Keep the shackles off and go at teams and we are all happy.

Agree, I felt despite picking his favourites again, the style was much more positive. 

Hopefully it continues against the more dangerous teams.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2022 at 14:46, fightoffyour said:

We'll be fine without Kane, just play Toney, Abraham or Watkins.

Still can’t believe he’s taken a knackered Kane, a massively injury prone Wilson, and Rashford who isn’t really a classic striker, as his only options at CF. And SIX players who can play right back.

Echoes of Sven leaving Defoe at home.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Agree, I felt despite picking his favourites again, the style was much more positive. 

Hopefully it continues against the more dangerous teams.

I can't see this happening, he will revert to type. He's had a chance to be more expansive against Croatia and Italy and chose to stay defensive and nick a goal despite needing to score and us looking terrible (second half of both games).

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â