Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Toney deserved to be in the squad 

Naa, too fit. 50% of the squad needed to be unfit crocks, McGuire, Wilson (who is actually still struggling with injury), Walker, Gallahger, Phillips (he'll never be fit enough), to name a few

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He is. 

The argument has always been what could we have achieved with someone better. 

He’s done and is doing a good job with England. But will he win us a tournament? I’m not sure. And I think we should have one under our belt already

Yep

One day we'll all refer to it as what we did in spite of Southgate rather than because of Southgate

The squad is there for him, he has arguably the best attacking options in English history, in 20 years time it will shift to what he squandered with negativity

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jim said:

9 tournament games won, more than any other England manager.

Best England manager FACT.

i think he's the 4th longest serving England Manager in our history........what a stat that is (behind Winterbottom, Ramsey & Robson).

Also been to the joint most tournaments as England Manager with 6, equal to Ramsey, 3 of Southgate's are nations league though, so not sure that is quite the same as Ramsey's 3 world cups and three euros.

Southgate is a sure a good advertisement for longevity in a role, by being a corporate yes man and hiding his incompetence well.

8 hours ago, jim said:

9 tournament games won, more than any other England manager.

Best England manager FACT.

Indeed, he's done well to get England so far in the last few tournaments. And putting my Tin Hat on, I don't dislike him at all.

This World Cup seems destined to be in the hands of a South American team.

However there is a strange feeling about it, so who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

This. I'm baffled why so many people posting seem so vehemently opposed to him. Yes, he's a tad defensive tactically as a coach and it can drive you up the wall at times in games, but overall he's turned the England side into an actual team. Ditto the squad. They get on. They want to play for England. They want to win for England, not for their image rights. He's got them to the latter stages of tournaments where previously we didn't.

He's thoughtful, communicates well, is honest and open, given the constraints of the job. He doesn't throw players under the bus. Tell me any manager who didn't have baffling favourites, or who didn't overlook fan preferences at times.

As England managers go he's the best for absolutely decades. He's suited to international management, though probably tactically just a bit short of the real elite.

I've got nothing personally against him, my only problem with how he gets us to play is we don't have a great defence centrally or a top level goalkeeper. Defending is not our strongest suit. What we do have is a midfield and even better options up front. With 5 subs in a game we could have an always fresh front 3 for 90 minutes and just go at teams. Against Iran ok, but against a better team will Southgate really play with the freedom necessary,? Because if we try and defend against the better teams in this tournament it won't work,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

This. I'm baffled why so many people posting seem so vehemently opposed to him. Yes, he's a tad defensive tactically as a coach and it can drive you up the wall at times in games, but overall he's turned the England side into an actual team. Ditto the squad. They get on. They want to play for England. They want to win for England, not for their image rights. He's got them to the latter stages of tournaments where previously we didn't.

He's thoughtful, communicates well, is honest and open, given the constraints of the job. He doesn't throw players under the bus. Tell me any manager who didn't have baffling favourites, or who didn't overlook fan preferences at times.

As England managers go he's the best for absolutely decades. He's suited to international management, though probably tactically just a bit short of the real elite.

Can see a number of reasons people dont like him on here except his negative football.

The way he left Villa as a player, the treatment of Grealish at Villa and the fact he seemed happy he went to City, the way he discarded Mings for no reason but kept picking an out of form fridge. Also some people said he seemed very happy when Newcastle scored vs us a few weeks back

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Can see a number of reasons people dont like him on here except his negative football.

The way he left Villa as a player, the treatment of Grealish at Villa and the fact he seemed happy he went to City, the way he discarded Mings for no reason but kept picking an out of form fridge. Also some people said he seemed very happy when Newcastle scored vs us a few weeks back

He's a stubborn **** who definitely has he favourites

He's also a massive hypocrite who then spouts utter shite over why he picks his favourites 

And after a 6-2 win in the world cup its easy to forget that his brand of football makes the qualifiers and NL games almost unwatchable because its bland boring shit, we've been dreadful this year up until yesterday vs Iran

Its the expectation that he will play players from the top 6 regardless of form paired with losing to the first good team we play... He might be statistically the best England manager ever but he's also the same as every England manager in my life time

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ok. As a player and captain at villa he was one of the most supportive players of the fans efforts to get Ellis out. The lack of ambition which Ellis showed didn't just drive fans mad, but players like him, too.  They have short careers and want to win stuff.  When it was clear that villa wasn't going to take the step, he decided to move. Having made that decision his options then narrowed and I'd agree going off to Boro wasn't in line with his aims, really. Though Ugo and Merse never got the same stick for it.

Grealish, yes, I agree, though many of those angry at the time are now slagging Jack for his lifestyle and sometimes poor choices and actions and lapses of responsibility off the pitch. Jack going to City takes a hugely talented player to a manager who ought to sort him out and having him play at a higher level and theoretically benefit England.

Mings, plenty of our fans say he makes too many mistakes...so can we really blame Southgate for dropping a player for that?  I wouldn't have and I don't personally share that view, but...

McGuire. Well, yes. Hard to argue. But then again, like I posted earlier, tell me a manager who doesn't have personal favourites which baffle everyone else.

So they're all points I accept, but none of them for me tally with the vilification of Southgate as England manager, or as a person.

• Like 3

The time to judge Gareth will be to see if he has the balls to keep the 433 formation deeper into the tournament. 

The one good thing other than the 6 2 win is that it makes Jude pretty much undroppable. And Jude needs to be the 8 . 

But Gareth as we know is ultra conservative . He spends his time worrying about the opposition rather than our own strengths. 

Will he have the bollox when it comes to the crunch to go for it? 

That is how i will judge him. At the moment he has an A from me. I hope he can keep it 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

However these all subjective...

Objectively Southgate has got England competitive at major tournaments for the last three which is to be applauded.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Yep I don't dislike him as a person. And he's clearly a very good man manager, that's his biggest asset. The players all love him and he has completely transformed the england team off the pitch. That's his legacy.

I dislike his football. I think tactically he's poor most of the time, and that's what holds him back.

But as a person and a man manager, there's nothing wrong with him

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â