Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

I mean we all know it on this forum. Jack is clearly one of his favourites now he took his advice to move to a 'Big club'  and now can't backtrack on that one even tho he's shit outta form. Kelvin Phillips move to City screams of Southgate's influence again.

And all for what? To choke at every major tournament when it matters. I hate the guy like no-one else in football. 

• Like 1

As a country we just never learn. We seem to start qualification phases ok and treat it as a fresh start but then as we get closer and closer to the tournaments the same mistakes get made over and over.

Unfit and out of form players getting the nod over in-form players full of confidence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

As a country we just never learn. We seem to start qualification phases ok and treat it as a fresh start but then as we get closer and closer to the tournaments the same mistakes get made over and over.

Unfit and out of form players getting the nod over in-form players full of confidence.

He knows his starting 11 before qualification has finished, he knew maguire and stones was his CB partnership 4 years ago and he's too stubborn to change it, same with phillips and rice, he forced that duo for what 3 years now? Ignores everything else 

Bellingham not starting at the WC will be as bad as anything he can do with this squad, it sets the whole tone, phillips in there instead, it's completely blinkered 

• Like 1

I will be actively cheering against England at the next tournament, mainly because of the hypocrisy and blatantly corrupt nature of this man…

He doesn’t pick players who are in form for “small clubs”, makes up excuses, engineers moves for players from their clubs to “Big teams” where they hardly play, and then picks them when they aren’t playing or out of form…

He doesn’t have his favourite players, he’s got his favourite clubs… and I’ll bet you he is paid to keep it that way as well…

While he is in charge and Grealish is in the squad, I actively hope we get utterly embarrassed at the tournament…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Maguire must give really good reacharounds.

Only Southgate would pick an out of form player that isn’t actually playing for his club.

Just goes to show that form is irrelevant if you’re one of Southgate’s favourites.

The funny part is he is not some elite player who is just having a dip in form. Southgate has went all in on a dreadful player because he plays for United

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

The funny part is he is not some elite player who is just having a dip in form. Southgate has went all in on a dreadful player because he plays for United

that's the myth that's now surrounding him, we cant drop him because he was our best defender at the WC in 2018, that might be true but it doesn't make him a world class defender it just means he was better than the others that we had and 4 years in football is a long time, he's now not playing because utd think he's shit

see also - he never makes those mistakes for england - which pisses me off because neither does mings, he is picking favourites and choosing a settled team over a good one

the feel good has definitely gone, he's getting battered for this squad from just about everywhere, add to that the impending relegation from the NL, the impact that the winter world cup will have and qatar in general and then i'll throw it in as another thing we're about to have a god awful kit that no one will buy and everyone will hate and be very vocal about it - this team could very easily just slide off in to negativity and be shown for how poor it is, i think the group stage is too poor for us not to get out but I can see a repeat of 2010

they're going to be suffocated with negativity and its all his fault cos he's a stubborn word removed

• Like 1

I really think what Southgate is doing in picking favourites just supports and ingrains the apathy a lot of people have for England. We know it’s a boys club and always has been so Southgate fits the bill perfectly, let’s be fair that’s how he got the job in the first place. 

Supporters are not stupid and picking maguire, shaw and Phillips is an absolute insult to the intelligence of any fan and you can also feel the press turning too with squads like this.

I think the same goes for Southgate that goes for a lot of managers out there now-a-days and it's their lack of trust in the players and their utter faith in their own (tried and tested) systems. 

We've got some wonderfully creative players, and if they were allowed to maybe not trackback as rigidly as the system allows, we could simply blow teams out of the water.  

But we're so shit scared of someone being out of position when conceding, that it's ridiculous. 

I can't wait for the days individual talent and fluid teams come back because football at the moment is pretty boring.

Off the top of my head:

Villa, rigid 5-3-2

Brighton, rigid system

Man City, rigid system

West Ham, rigid system

England, rigid system

Chelsea

There aren't many "fun" teams to watch, apart from maybe teams like PSG with the front 3 who are exempt from defending, Spurs seem to play fluid, arsenal are starting to let go of the shackles a bit and look better for it. 

I don't mean ignore the system totally, but let attackers go a bit and football will be better again.  Give me a Ronaldinho, Berbatov, Lee Trundle any day over athletes like Watkins (sorry Ollie!), Antonio etc. 

• Like 2

I'm no longer bothered what England do with this clown in charge.

Doesn't pick Mings when he's actually playing quite well and picks Slab Head who has barely been starting. The sooner Qatar passes the better

Wow, I'm not normally one for bothering to argue the toss over who should or shouldn't be picked, because it mostly never involves Villa players anyway, but no Jordan Sancho after the start he's had this season!!?

Players who've sat on the bench the majority of the season pulled in instead of in-form players, the usual BS then.

Can’t believe we are going to see Maguire and Shaw in defence when they have literally been sitting on their asses for weeks for Man U. Embarrassing. Still, anyone that plays for City, Utd, Chelsea Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal must play. 

Edited by Tayls

I'm not a big fan of Southgate and concluded a long time ago that the England job is a political appointment, which Gareth has taken up with some zeal.

England have made flattering to deceive a tradition, and every tournament seems to suggest a lack of bottle when it matters.

England doesn't seem to produce enough world-class players, which the examples of Holland and Belgium, suggest is down to the system or maybe a national mentality.

The country is mediocre at just about everything when you look at the various global charts for the G7: we are just a bit shit at most things.

We certainly don't produce technically proficient central-defenders - we produce the likes of Maguire or Dire in the tradition of Jack Charlton.

Do we have such a surplus of creative players that we can ditch Grealish? I don't think so.

As ever, I'm just hoping England can avoid embarrassing themselves.

If they won a worthwhile tournament, it would go down in history as an equivalent achievement to Greece winning the Euros.

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He has to start Tammy tonight, he should play more than kane in this break

Toney not being part of the squad is probably because he's not good enough and Southgate knows he'll only take 2 strikers to the WC

Who was the backup striker at the Euros, was it DCL?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â