Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It wasn’t an attacking team, it was a mismatched, unbalanced mess with quality on the bench and players who should be nowhere near the 11 out of position on the pitch

Two attacking midfield players and James at fullback. It was unbalanced yes and a bit like watching Man U but it left us too open. he chose Hungary to try things out and give everybody a chance but it backfired. Some of these players wont be figuring in the world cup, but I think we are further away from knowing our strongest team or formation than what we were before the Nations league.   The nailed on certainties are Pickford, Walker, McGuire, Rice, Kane, Foden, Sterling, and Mount. Not that Mcguire or Sterling should be on current form. Even Mount has been underwhelming. 

39 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Two attacking midfield players and James at fullback. It was unbalanced yes and a bit like watching Man U but it left us too open. he chose Hungary to try things out and give everybody a chance but it backfired. Some of these players wont be figuring in the world cup, but I think we are further away from knowing our strongest team or formation than what we were before the Nations league.   The nailed on certainties are Pickford, Walker, McGuire, Rice, Kane, Foden, Sterling, and Mount. Not that Mcguire or Sterling should be on current form. Even Mount has been underwhelming. 

Why was James/Walker at left back......This is a question that never seems to get asked of him

Is Matt Targett for example top class, no but is he a better more natural left back compare to them 2. yes

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I think the FA and Southgate don't like Mings because he has an opinion on controversial issues, is articulate and can actually speak about matters other than "yeah, well the gaffer set us up well, and it just didn't go our way tonight, but we'll put it right on the training ground and er yeah thank you to the fans."

You can't really believe this.

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why was James/Walker at left back......This is a question that never seems to get asked of him

Is Matt Targett for example top class, no but is he a better more natural left back compare to them 2. yes

One of my absolute pet hates is full backs being played on the wrong side (hello Steve Bruce), unless they have a career history of being versatile or are completely two footed (rare).

Right back and left back are very different positions, I’d rather have a left footed centre back at LB over a RB who never plays there. All the natural passes and recovery tackles suit a naturally left/right sided player. How many teams play a right footed LB or left footed RB? I guess Irwin and Lahm are the examples that stand out but they were very unusual.

I get that Southgate’s issue is the Chilwell injury. But he’s made it even harder for himself by insisting on picking loads of right backs because he doesn’t want to drop any of Walker / Trippier / James / TAA.

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

One of my absolute pet hates is full backs being played on the wrong side (hello Steve Bruce), unless they have a career history of being versatile or are completely two footed (rare).

Right back and left back are very different positions, I’d rather have a left footed centre back at LB over a RB who never plays there. All the natural passes and recovery tackles suit a naturally left/right sided player. How many teams play a right footed LB or left footed RB? I guess Irwin and Lahm are the examples that stand out but they were very unusual.

I get that Southgate’s issue is the Chilwell injury. But he’s made it even harder for himself by insisting on picking loads of right backs because he doesn’t want to drop any of Walker / Trippier / James / TAA.

He doesn't rate him but its clear he is terrified to drop TAA as the backlash last time was too much. 

He also wouldn't dare give him the Grealish treatment as Klopp would rat him alive and the Liverpool media would have a field day

• Like 1

Number one’s a CDM,

Number two’s a CDM.

Number three’s a CDM,

Number four’s a CDM.

Number five’s a CDM,

Number six’s a CDM.

Number seven’s a CDM,

Number eight’s a CDM.

Number nine’s a CDM,

Number ten’s a CDM.

Number eleven’s a CDM,

All we want, is CDMs.

WE ALL DREAM OF A TEAM OF CDMS.

A TEAM OF CDMS.

A TEAM OF CDMS. 

Edited by Spoony

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Number one’s a CDM,

Number two’s a CDM.

Number three’s a CDM,

Number four’s a CDM.

Number five’s a CDM,

Number six’s a CDM.

Number seven’s a CDM,

Number eight’s a CDM.

Number nine’s a CDM,

Number ten’s a CDM.

Number eleven’s a CDM,

All we want, is CDMs.

WE ALL DREAM OF A TEAM OF CDMS.

A TEAM OF CDMS.

A TEAM OF CDMS. 

Think you got it confused

Its Right Backs not CDMs

wow, Daily Mail running a story saying the "real reason" fans want Southgate out because he is a liberal.

Terrible defence that.

I mean, it could be because.....you know......he's a s*** manager.........  :shock horror: !!!

Journalists these days....thick as pig s***.

giphy.gif

OLIVER HOLT: The REAL reasons so many fans are turning on England's most successful boss for 50 years… there's a prejudice against English managers - and Gareth Southgate is a liberal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10920871/England-fans-tuning-Gareth-Southgate-liberal-fanbase-illiberals.html

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

wow, Daily Mail running a story saying the "real reason" fans want Southgate out because he is a liberal.

Terrible defence that.

I mean, it could be because.....you know......he's a s*** manager.........  :shock horror: !!!

Journalists these days....thick as pig s***.

giphy.gif

OLIVER HOLT: The REAL reasons so many fans are turning on England's most successful boss for 50 years… there's a prejudice against English managers - and Gareth Southgate is a liberal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10920871/England-fans-tuning-Gareth-Southgate-liberal-fanbase-illiberals.html

Nope. I quite appreciate him using his platform to spread good. I don't appreciate him being a useless football manager.

19 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

So you're the non English one who doesn't hate England 

My Dad was born in Birmingham and hearing Brummie accents on TV makes me nostalgic for my Grandparents, so England is my 2nd country as such.

It also definitely helps that Australia are barely relevant at international level in football. It's like supporting a League 1 side and then having a premier league side you follow as well. 

• Like 1

You have to look at who's picked Southgate to get to the root of the problem. It's there job to get it right and they have got it wrong , it was our turn to win the last world and euro competitions but Southgate blew it by being out thought during both games. You could see it again against Hungary, he had no answers to their dominance. The only player that looked competitive , for us , was Bellingham and he took him off! 

'm sure he's a lovely bloke, who installs a certain amount of loyalty towards him and displays that loyalty back, is he a winner? No, far from it.

He will go after the world cup but I don't trust the people who pick our managers to pick another one.  

The problem is after a world cup semi final and a euros final do you think the man who hired him thinks that its wrong? 

Or being cold and simply looking at it on paper they think Southgate is a great appointment? 

He is a brilliant manager if you look at his Wikipedia page rather than watch his football, I'm sure the FA were very happy with him until the last week, it's been a terrible week, but even that they'll make excuses due to the time of year 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The problem is after a world cup semi final and a euros final do you think the man who hired him thinks that its wrong? 

Or being cold and simply looking at it on paper they think Southgate is a great appointment? 

He is a brilliant manager if you look at his Wikipedia page rather than watch his football, I'm sure the FA were very happy with him until the last week, it's been a terrible week, but even that they'll make excuses due to the time of year 

It's horses for courses though, isn't it?

When he was appointed we were just on the back of a total humiliation at the World Cup in Brazil and we employed a pragmatic, defensive coach in Allardyce who turned out to be as corrupt as the day is long who left in disgrace. They then turned to another pragmatic coach, but this time one that they knew was clean and already had knowledge of the setup. He then set about doing the only thing he could do with what was a pretty poor squad at the time and turned us into Greece circa 2004 and the results improved, we got the Semi at the World Cup. He then did the same thing at the Euro's, but with the better players that had come through and we got a final.

They issue with Southgate isn't his record at tournaments. He was undoubtedly the manager we needed at the time to steady the ship and work with the dross that he had but the attacking players that have come through are better now to the point that it's no longer acceptable to play like Greece 2004. We have a massive pool of attacking talent available but he won't use them because he's still in a 2018/2019 mindset of "we're crap and we need to win 1-0".

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That plan seems like it would maybe be at odds with the frequently-expressed On Here for all-out attack in matches against tough opponents :D

I know this is probably tongue in cheek, but it really isn't what people are asking for

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â