Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I certainly wouldn't endorse it initially, but it won't be hard to be better than Southgate.

I'm sure he can get England playing to the same level Southgate did.

Please no! I don't want the same level as Southgate. We need a coach willing to play progressive football, especially with the talent on hand.

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Please no! I don't want the same level as Southgate. We need a coach willing to play progressive football, especially with the talent on hand.

Absolutely!

That's what I'm saying. Any dickhead can get this squad to play to that level. We were atrocious in every game except the SF.

If you get a lucky draw like Southgate has every single time, it's SF or Final without lifting a finger.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

Best news this summer. 

I dont care what his record says, he's been the luckiest England manager I've ever known. And his performances rank pretty middle of the road alongside all the other poor managers we've ever had.

He's done nothing special and I won't miss him for a second.

Thank you Gareth for wasting two European Championship finals with your negative none tactics and general incompetence. 

• Like 3

Right decision at the right time with most of the old guard gone and very good young players coming through.

After watching post match interview I knew he was done.

Some say being a lucky manager is a great trait to have. Without that Southgate would have been gone long ago!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

This sums him up, in my book.

We not only got a lucky draw, he was bailed out again and again by wonder goals from nothing. "Go out there and with no coherent system boot one in with an xG of less than 1 in 10" isn't a strategy. He is an incredibly limited coach whose ability and record are almost completely at odds with each other.

It's not that we just went out and played freely and created lots of opportunity for these "moments of magic" and the approach paid off, often these were the only attempts we even had, it was absolutely out of nothing.

On paper, he's done an incredible job, but the stats and the eye test say otherwise. 

That tweet just shows how weak xG is as a measure of anything. The claim that 'relying on screamers' is 'unsustainable' is rather belied by the fact that something he thinks has a less than 1 in 20 chance of happening happened in 4 out of 6 matches. The claim is basically 'well it worked in reality, but it shouldn't have worked according to my model'. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That tweet just shows how weak xG is as a measure of anything. The claim that 'relying on screamers' is 'unsustainable' is rather belied by the fact that something he thinks has a less than 1 in 20 chance of happening happened in 4 out of 6 matches. The claim is basically 'well it worked in reality, but it shouldn't have worked according to my model'. 

It's highlighting that for it to win you a tournament you'll need 1 in a million levels of luck. Southgates luck extended to 1 in a few thousand maybe, but relying on it to win you a tournament is a waste of everyone's time.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not sure that it stands up to reason that the odds of any individual opportunity being statistically unlikely is undermined by the fact that several individually unlikely things occurred over a period of time. After all, people win the lottery quite often :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure that it stands up to reason that the odds of any individual opportunity being statistically unlikely is undermined by the fact that several individually unlikely things occurred over a period of time. After all, people win the lottery quite often :) 

It tells you that it is not 'unsustainable', per the tweet. It was sustained throughout an entire tournament, from the first to last game!

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's not what it's saying though.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

It tells you that it is not 'unsustainable', per the tweet. It was sustained throughout an entire tournament, from the first to last game!

I also don't think you can say that things are sustainable, a good approach, or the likely outcome just because they happened, but I'm just arguing the toss at this point

Where I think xG does fall down in this particular regard is that it's a measure of how likely a chance is to go in taken from that position, by the average player. Saka, Bellingham, and Watkins aren't the average player, and I'd wager if you put Ollie in that spot he's scoring it more than 6 times out of a hundred.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely!

That's what I'm saying. Any dickhead can get this squad to play to that level. We were atrocious in every game except the SF.

Even then it was only until half time. We went back to shit in the second half.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Rubbish. We got to the final, and if a header had gone slightly to the side of where Dani Olmo was standing that could have gone to extra time. 'One in a few thousand', do me a favour. Don't take up work as bookie would be my career advice. 

I'd have the same advice to you if you think that a low percentage approach to football is a way to win tournaments. What odds would you give England of winning with that style of play, because it hadn't happened for decades before, and still hasn't happened despite 8 years of Southgate trying his low percentage approach to games.

Take Emery's approach which is all about creating high probability chances by drawing opposition out of position and getting the ball into the spaces that creates. Certainly worked well over the course of a season for Villa.

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I also don't think you can say that things are sustainable, a good approach, or the likely outcome just because they happened, but I'm just arguing the toss at this point

Where I think xG does fall down in this particular regard is that it's a measure of how likely a chance is to go in taken from that position, by the average player. Saka, Bellingham, and Watkins aren't the average player, and I'd wager if you put Ollie in that spot he's scoring it more than 6 times out of a hundred.

No, that's exactly why xG works. Because it is a benchmark for the average player. If you tailored it to individuals (those stats do exist) then it actually would be meaningless.

xG is not a predictor

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â