Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

“We” never learn. The team gets picked on names rather than form. Same as in my entire adult lifetime.

Yep, although I'm not sure it's ever been as bad as picking a single striker for the entire tournament and then admitting he wasn't fit the whole time, just because of his name.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, although I'm not sure it's ever been as bad as picking a single striker for the entire tournament and then admitting he wasn't fit the whole time, just because of his name.

Can you imagine how much time and money the FA spends on sports psychologists only to see Gareth pull stunts like that, and things like putting Toney on with 60 seconds to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's basically the way Gerrard's Villa played. Sit back, defend solidly, and hope for moments of magic from individuals

Aka they have no clue how to do anything differently, because if they did there's no way they'd take this idiotic approach.

Ollie and Palmer did more in about 30 minutes together than Foden and Kane did all tournament

Eze looked decent when he played plus Konsa was a better option than Walker 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Aka they have no clue how to do anything differently, because if they did there's no way they'd take this idiotic approach.

It’s fear.

Like the players, the coaches are terrified of being thrashed so it’s safety first until they are behind and HAVE to play.

1 hour ago, Condimentalist said:

He deserves credit for changing the culture, big time. It's light years from what it was. 

I've had enough of this rhetoric - what culture change? Everyone smiles? Kane think they had a tough run? Walker saying they did well is crappy games?

If the culture change means a 'happy get together' then thank you very much. 

I want warriors and people who take responsibility - Palmer did that. Watkins did that. 

I want Kane to walk up to Walker and discuss that performance with him. I want Bellingham to drive the entire midfield forward by 10/15 yards. Stones to take the football and drive it forward. And do it again. 

That is the culture change we need. Players expecting better from each other and holding themselves responsible. 

I **** livid with this tbh. Why waste such a golden opportunity. Kane is not Messi, he isn’t still great at 60%.

Gareth Southgate admitted Harry Kane was struggling with injury and tiredness during England's Euro 2024 campaign.

Southgate insisted that he was happy with his captain at the end of the game, but admitted he had been carrying some physical problems.

"Harry has come into the tournament having had an injury at the end of the season," he said in his post-match press conference.

link

He clearly still had an injury, now Gareth is telling us all why Kane was so poor yet he kept picking him.

• Like 1

Very poor manager who only got the job through very fortunate circumstances. Got very lucky in major tournaments which gives him an international record far above his ability level. People who understand football will know this but the average fan will just think he's great and wave their saint George's cross when he gets knighted. 

It's hard to be too harsh on him, he seems a decent bloke and he's trying his best. He just doesn't have ability level and his view of the game is to try 100% not to concede goals. He knows nothing other than this. If I was a fan of a league one team I would be appalled if Southgate was appointed manager. 

• Like 1

He played every match in the tournament with the primary objective of not losing. Even when we got the equalizer last night his first thought was to get Gallagher on the pitch (that would have been the change if it had stayed 1-1) even though Spain were wobbling for the first time in the match. And the 'Hail Mary' when Spain got the second? Stick Toney up front with Watkins and get Pickford to lump it towards the box. I don't know what Gordon did to be so out of favour with Southgate, but surely getting him to run at a knackered Carvajal and offer some threat on the left - Shaw didn't produce much apart from some decent diagonals to Saka - would have been a much better tactic, even with only a few mins to go. 
Get this coward gone!

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I've had enough of this rhetoric - what culture change? Everyone smiles? Kane think they had a tough run? Walker saying they did well is crappy games?

If the culture change means a 'happy get together' then thank you very much. 

I want warriors and people who take responsibility - Palmer did that. Watkins did that. 

I want Kane to walk up to Walker and discuss that performance with him. I want Bellingham to drive the entire midfield forward by 10/15 yards. Stones to take the football and drive it forward. And do it again. 

That is the culture change we need. Players expecting better from each other and holding themselves responsible. 

You did this before and people answered you.

There's very clearly been a huge culture change in the England team, for the better.

I mean it's literally why we've done so well despite Southgate's complete tactical ineptitude.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

There's very clearly been a huge culture change in the England team, for the better.

I mean it's literally why we've done so well despite Southgate's complete tactical ineptitude.

It's my opinion. Listen, polishing a turd might work to an extent.

I feel like not much has changed; it's a bit soft, a bit boring, players want to play for England now but once they do Southgate will talk about not having a replacement for Kalvin Phillips.

Or maybe I am wrong. Maybe it has changed. In which case, I feel like it hasn't changed for something much better in terms of sporting merit - and that is the thing I am mostly concerned about. 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m not convinced personally, every tournament they put on this faux show of togetherness and then it leaks that it wasn’t like that at all.

The Kane farce and Toney being clearly angry with Southgate are hints it’s not as rosy as they make out.

The reason we’ve done so well is because we avoided the good teams.

• Like 3

Oone of his major flaws imo , is he gets star struck  … he stuck with Maguire for too long , Mount got about 49 caps more than he deserved ( more so in the last Euros when the whole country knew Grealish was the better option at the time ) , Rashford was picked when out of form , ditto Sancho and Sterling  , Trent AA in midfield and so on , he’s always too late to see what nearly everyone in the country can see … should play  the form players regardless of what they might have done for England previously ..over the last season that would have been more game time for the likes of Bowen , Eze , Gordon , Palmer …

what Southgate did well is handle the PR side of things , it’s  no longer a media circus where we spend more time talking about the Wags , and the player unity in the squad appears to be very good …

He’s  kinda laid a blueprint, now we need a manager with a bit of tactical nous

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

It's my opinion. Listen, polishing a turd might work to an extent.

I feel like not much has changed; it's a bit soft, a bit boring, players want to play for England now but once they do Southgate will talk about not having a replacement for Kalvin Phillips.

Or maybe I am wrong. Maybe it has changed. In which case, I feel like it hasn't changed for something much better in terms of sporting merit - and that is the thing I am mostly concerned about. 

But it has changed for the better. We've got to 2 major finals and 3 semi finals. It's been by far England's most successful period in history, obviously with the caveat that we haven't actually won anything!

And that's mostly down to that cultural change and how Southgate manages the squad behind the scenes.

That's not me giving him a load of credit. Again I think the guy is tactically inept, and a better manager than him would have delivered at least one trophy by now. This squad is vastly underperforming and it's down to him.

BUT... I think just denying anything good he has ever done is silly. He clearly has had a big effect behind the scenes, but that will only get you so far. it won't win you trophies

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not convinced personally, every tournament they put on this faux show of togetherness and then it leaks that it wasn’t like that at all.

The Kane farce and Toney being clearly angry with Southgate are hints it’s not as rosy as they make out.

The reason we’ve done so well is because we avoided the good teams.

I don't really understand how people can't see how vastly improved that part of the team/squad is compared to how it used to be.

But each to their own

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't really understand how people can't see how vastly improved that part of the team/squad is compared to how it used to be.

But each to their own

It's definitely nicer.

But I feel the better results are not based on that change. I feel the better results are based on having an elite group of players and favourable draws. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's definitely nicer.

But I feel the better results are not based on that change. I feel the better results are based on having an elite group of players and favourable draws. 

That certainly helps. In this tournament specifically it was more of a factor because we were particularly shit.

But the culture change also helps. It's not one or the other. Plenty of England teams in the past have had favourable draws and still crashed out early.

We haven't accidentally got to two major finals

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But each to their own

i can

but i dont put it down to southgate

the world has changed in general

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â