Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

7 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

I doubt that Potter would even manage to qualify us to the WC2026. Why do you want to replace Southgate with somebody that is even less suited for the job?

I’m all for replacing Southgate, but when I look at potential replacements, I’m really concerned. Yes, there are some great unrealistic candidates like Klopp and Pep, that would never take the job. But the list of realistic candidates is not impressive.

Howe is the only candidate that I think could do better than Southgate, but I’m not sure FA will pay what is required to get him released from the Newcastle job. That means we will end up with somebody like Potter, 

But the national team does not need a top quality league manager. There isn't the same amount of time available or the same consistency of available players when it comes to international football. It's a different art and I don't think someone like Pep would be right at all.

I think a Potter or a Dean Smith is exactly what we need - a good man manager, consistent and capable of installing some basic team tactics and ethos.

I really don't see how you think Potter is less suited than Southgate, what are you basing that on?

13 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

But the national team does not need a top quality league manager. There isn't the same amount of time available or the same consistency of available players when it comes to international football. It's a different art and I don't think someone like Pep would be right at all.

I think a Potter or a Dean Smith is exactly what we need - a good man manager, consistent and capable of installing some basic team tactics and ethos.

I really don't see how you think Potter is less suited than Southgate, what are you basing that on?

It's impossible to say for certain whether Potter would do better than Southgate, but there's reason for concern. He seems like a system manager who has taken time in previous gigs for teams to learn how he wants to play, time that doesn't exist at international level. He also failed to get consistent results out of the big names and egos in the Chelsea dressing room. 

Of course, he might be fine. But I don't think it's crazy to be worried. 

• Like 2

Anyone thinking Southgate has done a good job is a plonker, he hasn't done well to get you to finals and semi finals.

He's failed by not winning anything with a team that should've rivalled Spain's dynasty over a decade ago ...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Anyone thinking Southgate has done a good job is a plonker, he hasn't done well to get you to finals and semi finals.

He's failed by not winning anything with a team that should've rivalled Spain's dynasty over a decade ago ...

Lets be real if we were on the other side of the draw we would have been out veey early in this tournament 

He is a joke. He saying players not fit like kane yet he **** played them every game. Guys a **** fool

• Like 4

Had Spain on the back foot and rattled after the Palmer equalizer. Any good manager pushes on and tries to get a second. Southgate played for ET + pens.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lets be real if we were on the other side of the draw we would have been out veey early in this tournament 

He is a joke. He saying players not fit like kane yet he **** played them every game. Guys a **** fool

he actually admitted that?! he should be sacked immediately if so

24 minutes ago, a-k said:

Had Spain on the back foot and rattled after the Palmer equalizer. Any good manager pushes on and tries to get a second. Southgate played for ET + pens.

This. 

Southgate's whole philosophy is based around scabbing a goal then going into a low block. 

The XG stats are a joke and a damning reflection on how he had us playing. 

He has to go, he was a loser as a player and is now one as a manager. 

• Like 1

On paper he has got England to 2 finals and a semi-final, and narrowly lost all 3. In reality he's had very lucky draws and we've got to those positions despite him. The only half decent teams we've beaten in 4 tournaments are Germany and the Netherlands. Neither great teams, neither particularly convincing wins.

In this tournament England were absolutely turgid 90% of the time. The rare exception usually being when they went behind and needed a goal. The group stage matches were almost unwatchable. 2 goals in 3 matches against sub par opposition, culminating in a 0-0 draw with Slovenia 🥱

For anyone still on the fence, the Slovakia game should have been all you needed to see. It could/should have been a humiliating exit but for a moment of individual brilliance. Slovakia are currently ranked below Panama in the world rankings just fyi.

The luck continued v Switzerland, relying on penalties to get through. The first half performance v the Netherlands was a rare bright spot but we soon reverted to type in the 2nd half. Again there was luck, relying on a dubious penalty and a late goal to get through.

Then the final. As much as I wanted England to win, it would have been a footballing injustice. Spain were comfortably the best team on the night and the best team of the tournament. Being runners up flattered an England team that could have gone out in the Round of 16 or even the group stage.

So thanks for the memories Gareth but it's time to go. I do think he did some good things like building more of a team culture than previous regimes, and the 2018 world cup was kind of fun when there was little expectation. But it's time to step aside and let someone else have a go.

TLDR - it's time to go

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

he actually admitted that?! he should be sacked immediately if so

Said something along the lines it was physically tough and he wasn't able to reach the levels after injury.

Which is staggering because Kane had barely hobbled through every **** game of the tournament. Yet was put out there when we knew we'd see none of the ball and play on the counter.

I was looking at Kane after 10/15 just shuffling across from centre back to center back and that looked like it was the equivalent of climbing a mountain.

It's another bold decision to drop him....that Southgate didn't take. Along with the dozens of others over the years... he didn't take.

He's the definition of a happy loser.  Don't rock the boat. Don't be bold.

• Like 2

I think there's a really simple question to ask anyone who wants him to stay - 

Can you describe how southgate's england play football?

the answer being 1) badly or 2) you cant because we still have no describable style or pattern of play

we're chancers and fortunately for him he gets lucky draws and has the players to get him out of the shit

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the answer being 1) badly or 2) you cant because we still have no describable style or pattern of play

we're chancers and fortunately for him he gets lucky draws and has the players to get him out of the shit

We do have a style, but it’s an ultra cautious safety first which doesn’t utilise our plethora of attacking talent or win enough games.

As a manager you have to play to your strengths, play the game for the players you have available.

England are defensively weak, and attackingly blessed. To play a defensive game and put a handbrake on the attackers is ridiculous.

Persisting with Kane whilst injured or chronically out of form was unforgivable. Kane should be ashamed of how much he held us back too. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, will87 said:

One of the challenges for a new manager is how to get Foden playing in this team, because 4 goals in 40 apps under Southgate is pathetic.

Or just drop him. Same with Kane.

Palmer did more in an hour of gametime this tournament than Foden or Kane did for the whole campaign

• Like 3

1 hour ago, a-k said:

More Phone Home than It's Coming Home

8 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

I doubt that Potter would even manage to qualify us to the WC2026. Why do you want to replace Southgate with somebody that is even less suited for the job?

I’m all for replacing Southgate, but when I look at potential replacements, I’m really concerned. Yes, there are some great unrealistic candidates like Klopp and Pep, that would never take the job. But the list of realistic candidates is not impressive.

Howe is the only candidate that I think could do better than Southgate, but I’m not sure FA will pay what is required to get him released from the Newcastle job. That means we will end up with somebody like Potter, 

I'm not sure hwere this comes from??

He is far the better coach that Southgate. Gareth would struggle in thr Prem. Potter was doing a great job at Brighton, just was ready at the time for the step up to Chelsea, alhtough as has been proved no one was.

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's basically the way Gerrard's Villa played. Sit back, defend solidly, and hope for moments of magic from individuals

• Like 1

He deserves credit for changing the culture, big time. It's light years from what it was. 

It is also hard to get international teams playing with the same fluency as a club side, and defensive solidity is definitely important in tournaments. 

BUT, he's still too conservative, he stumbles across his best teams, he doesn't get the best out of the star players, he struggles to manage in-game. It feels like the football happens to us rather than us controlling it. 

Ultimately, he can leave with his head held high, but it's time for something new - I hope Eddie Howe. 

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Or just drop him. Same with Kane.

Palmer did more in an hour of gametime this tournament than Foden or Kane did for the whole campaign

“We” never learn. The team gets picked on names rather than form. Same as in my entire adult lifetime.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Defend, defend, defend.... 2 defensive midfielders infront of the back line.

Pass the ball back and forth along the half way line. Occasionally play the ball into a forward who "wins" a soft free kick. Ball into the box onto Maguire to create scrappy chance or "win" soft penalty.... Repeat.

If we take the lead sit back and attempt to score on the break when your opponents have committed men forward to get back in the game.

"System" will fail against better sides.

Above all else, do not attempt to break the lines with tight passing.

....I think that's it.

What other job in the world are you paid millions for ultimately failure but should still apparently 'end it on your terms'

My company has lost more SMT and CEOs than I can remember the past decade or two and most did more than Gareth.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â