Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

Would be great if he remains manager.  I much prefer routinely qualifying from major tournaments, getting out of the group and then making it to the latter stages than anything that happened  1967 - 2016

• Like 2

The only difference between Southgate and the other managers over the last 15-20 years is he's had very easy KO draws which have allowed him to get to semis and finals.

The sheer quality of the players on offer is almost always going get by weak teams like Slovakia and Switzerland regardless of who is in charge. There's two entire squads worth of players who are top 8 Premier League quality and they come up against teams that are fielding players from the equivalent of the Championship. It's very difficult to not make it this far and the fact they almost didn't is mostly down to Southgate's negative way of playing and lack of willing to take the game to the opponents.

Every single time they have had to play a top team they have come unstuck, you can't even say well he's done well some of the time, he's won something like 3 out 26 vs the top 10 international teams.

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

The only difference between Southgate and the other managers over the last 15-20 years is he's had very easy KO draws which have allowed him to get to semis and finals.

The sheer quality of the players on offer is almost always going get by weak teams like Slovakia and Switzerland regardless of who is in charge. There's two entire squads worth of players who are top 8 Premier League quality and they come up against teams that are fielding players from the equivalent of the Championship. It's very difficult to not make it this far and the fact they almost didn't is mostly down to Southgate's negative way of playing and lack of willing to take the game to the opponents.

Every single time they have had to play a top team they have come unstuck, you can't even say well he's done well some of the time, he's won something like 3 out 26 vs the top 10 international teams.

No, the difference is that Southgate has taken us into the KO stage, unlike the other managers. We have now gotten into the KO stage in 4 consecutive internationals tournaments, for the first time ever. Actually it is 5 now, but I’m still trying to forget the loss to Iceland in Euro2016, talk about an easy draw.

England have always had quality players, from the golden generation, to the time when English clubs won the European Cup for fun, but somehow as a team we have always struggled. We still struggle, but at least we don’t lose to Slovakia and Switzerland like we would have in the past.

Maybe we still lose to top teams, like we always have, but now we manage to win against weaker teams, and that is the difference.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

No, the difference is that Southgate has taken us into the KO stage, unlike the other managers. We have now gotten into the KO stage in 4 consecutive internationals tournaments, for the first time ever. Actually it is 5 now, but I’m still trying to forget the loss to Iceland in Euro2016, talk about an easy draw.

England have always had quality players, from the golden generation, to the time when English clubs won the European Cup for fun, but somehow as a team we have always struggled. We still struggle, but at least we don’t lose to Slovakia and Switzerland like we would have in the past.

Maybe we still lose to top teams, like we always have, but now we manage to win against weaker teams, and that is the difference.

Agreed, and I'd also say that the weaker teams are much better than they used to be. Many of the big teams now struggle to routinely top their groups

It isn't always enough to have good players although it helps.

Look at the so called golden generation. Did not reach a single final.

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

It isn't always enough to have good players although it helps.

Look at the so called golden generation. Did not reach a single final.

Can't believe this is still being used as an excuse, so called golden generation won nothing. True, but maybe it was because they were all bitching at each other due to rivalries, shagging each others Mrs, getting pissed between games, i.e Gazza etc.

Times have changed, if you think no other half decent manager couldn't have done what Southgate has achieved, you all must be looking at Southgate through foggy eyes. Players do not act like that anymore, Foden and Grealish tried it and had to sit out the squad.

His recent interview with him nearly in tears giving it more psycho babble bullshit is so cringe worthy it deserves a oscar.

STOP GOING ON ABOUT HOW GREAT SPAIN ARE, GET SOME BALLS AND A WINNING MENTALITY, AN GO AND WIN US THAT FINAL!!

And then pleeeeese. ***** off!!!

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Can't believe this is still being used as an excuse, so called golden generation won nothing. True, but maybe it was because they were all bitching at each other due to rivalries, shagging each others Mrs, getting pissed between games, i.e Gazza etc.

Times have changed, if you think no other half decent manager couldn't have done what Southgate has achieved, you all must be looking at Southgate through foggy eyes. Players do not act like that anymore, Foden and Grealish tried it and had to sit out the squad.

His recent interview with him nearly in tears giving it more psycho babble bullshit is so cringe worthy it deserves a oscar.

STOP GOING ON ABOUT HOW GREAT SPAIN ARE, GET SOME BALLS AND A WINNING MENTALITY, AN GO AND WIN US THAT FINAL!!

And then pleeeeese. ***** off!!!

We've had decent managers before who did **** all though. I think the FA have to he very careful who they replace him with. I don't buy into Potter being a good replacement 

Previous England squads were never as good as people made them out to be. Whilst they were good, they were not as good or as technical as people made out. There were several better team's around, whereas Southgate genuinely has one of the top squad's in the world. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Previous England squads were never as good as people made them out to be. Whilst they were good, they were not as good or as technical as people made out. There were several better team's around, whereas Southgate genuinely has one of the top squad's in the world. 

If you read the threads on here neither is this squad.

”Walker is past it, Pickford is shit, Bellingham overrated, Rice overrated, Kane is an OAP, Foden overrated” etc…

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

If you read the threads on here neither is this squad.

”Walker is past it, Pickford is shit, Bellingham overrated, Rice overrated, Kane is an OAP, Foden overrated” etc…

Put a decent manager in charge of those players and see the difference.

Southgate is basically Gerrard/Bruce who has fluked his ways through to finals. 

Hopefully the next manager is an Emery/Smith.

18 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

True, alot of the big nations had great teams. Brazil, Italy, Spian, France, Germany were all great teams. You cannot compare to Southgate having some of the best in the world and having to beat teams like, Slovakia, Slovenia and Denmark. 

An to be fair, Southgate has had more time to build.

46 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We've had decent managers before who did **** all though. I think the FA have to he very careful who they replace him with. I don't buy into Potter being a good replacement 

The FA have a history of picking the wrong man for the job. There are many good English manager that have been overlooked for the job, not that it is a guarantee they would have done any better.

If Potter is picked I would hope he is successful, but I’m pretty sure he will be a total disaster, most likely a repeat of his time at Chelsea. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villan95 said:

vn3pBM.gif

Listening to his presser, an hearing him say "football is not everything, there are more important things in life". I think a few are gonna be disappointed. Tells me he's had enough, an he's off, win or lose.

39 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Listening to his presser, an hearing him say "football is not everything, there are more important things in life". I think a few are gonna be disappointed. Tells me he's had enough, an he's off, win or lose.

Oh I agree, I’ve always believed he’ll go regardless of what happens tomorrow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Yep. This is the best squad in my lifetime

I think this team beats the current team easily.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmesoGrXB63szxAZH38c_

The performances of the Southgate years England is enhanced by consistently avoiding good opposition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think this team beats the current team easily.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmesoGrXB63szxAZH38c_

The performances of the Southgate years England is enhanced by consistently avoiding good opposition.

That was a great team no doubt. But there was no discipline, as rivalries were far higher. Also the opposition  teams were far better than they are today, Germany, Italy, Netherlands. We are raving how good this Spain team is today, but then they were basically that world class Barcelona team, an we know how good they were.

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

You are overlooking the possibility that 'players do not act like that any more' on England duty at least in part owing to a change in the culture that Southgate has instilled. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You are overlooking the possibility that 'players do not act like that any more' on England duty at least in part owing to a change in the culture that Southgate has instilled. 

It's not that hard to change a culture in 8 years, especially as he knew most of the players from the under 21s. But it's really his coaching ability which is still being questioned.

I mean if we win it, he be hailed a genius, the first manager in nearly 60 years to bring it home. But again, would any top half PL team welcome him as there new manager.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â