Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

How does that record compare with other top 10 sides out of interest?

Spain have beaten 2 already in this tournament and also Germany who probably would be top 10 if they didnt play friendlies in last 2 years

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, PaulC said:

All I know is I've followed England for many years and seen us not qualify for tournaments, not get past the group stages. Not get past quarters and semis. In fact semis of world cup 1990 and 96 Euros was seen as a success. 

Southgate has taken us to two finals, a semi and a quarter. I think he deserves some respect whatever happens on Sunday.

Just think about England 2002-2010. Still possibly the best group of players we’ll ever have and we got f all out that period. We had way better managers than Southgate as well (bar mcclaren). 

3 minutes ago, Giro said:

Just think about England 2002-2010. Still possibly the best group of players we’ll ever have and we got f all out that period. We had way better managers than Southgate as well (bar mcclaren). 

Yes totally 

You have to apply context to how we've got here. Could easily have gone out to Slovakia and would have been deservedly so. Denmark could have beaten us. Serbia could have levelled and would have deserved it. We're so bad at responding when the other team makes changes. 

He's been so lucky and against teams with equivalent quality players he has never outthought a manager. We have an abundance of talented players who can do moments of magic occasionally.

I give him credit for 18 and 20 even with the thought someone else manages the game v Italy better. Ultimately we only lost a final on penalties. 

22, mediocre. Lost as soon as we came up against a better side. Albeit a rare game where we actually played OK, but before then largely miserable / mediocre. Friendlies have been relentlessly depressing affairs.

Look, if we somehow beat Spain, fair **** play

On 08/07/2024 at 16:59, Wainy316 said:

It came home in a sense in 1996 as England hosted an international tournament as was the original meaning behind the lyric.

Since 2018 it has evolved to symbolise England bringing the big one home.  As England brought football to 'the world', The Euros is not far reaching and important enough a trophy constitute football coming home by means of lifting a trophy.  Therefore, by my rules, which are iron clad and legally binding, football can only now come home if England win a World Cup.

Yes Ian Broudie was asked to write the England song for the euros 96 and as he was no expert on football he approached Baddiel and Skinner to write the lyrics for it. So Broudie created music and they put the words to it. 

Look at who's trying to get in on the action :D 

Some fantastic platitudes there for anyone wanting to make a cross stitch wall hanging

11 leadership lessons we can learn from Gareth Southgate

We’re so proud that Gareth Southgate was once a Cub at 4th Worth Scouts. As England heads into the final of Euro 2024, here are 11 leadership lessons every Scout can learn from the manager of the England football team.

1. Make a plan 

When heading into challenging situations, always make a plan. Even when others might have a different ideas, don’t abandon the plan. Share and explain it with the team; assign them clear roles and give it a chance to work.

2. Bring in the best people from everywhere 

Diversity of talent, background and thinking is key. True magic happens when different elements collide. Remember, it was Cole Palmer’s ball into Ollie Watkins in the semi-final that helped produce his miraculous goal.

https://www.scouts.org.uk/news/2024/july/11-leadership-lessons-we-can-learn-from-gareth-southgate/

23 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

All this talk of how bad Kane has been and he's one more dodgy penalty away from the golden boot somehow.

Said elsewhere it would be hilarious if he gets that.

He's been **** shit

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Exactly this.

I believe this is only the 2nd time we have progressed past a top 10 opponent under Southgate, the other being Denmark (who were 10th in 2020) in extra-time. Yet we have made 2 Euro finals and a World Cup semi-final, I would imagine this is almost an unprecedented run of good fortune. 

His record against sides approaching our strength is extremely poor. 

Southgate’s record is one thing, but England’s record is poorer than poor.

Euro16: Lost to Iceland in first knockout round

WC14: Last in the group, lost all matches except a draw against Costa Rica.

Euro12: Lost to Italy in first knockout round

WC10: Lost to Germany in first knockout round.

Euro08: Failed to qualify

WC06: In the first knockout round beats Ecuador, but loses to Portugal in the next round.

Euro04: Lost to Portugal in first knockout round.

WC02: Beat Denmark in first knockout round, but then loses to Brazil.

Euro00: knocked out in group stage.

Those are the years leading up to Southgate. We won a total of 2 knockouts matches in those 9 tournaments. After Southgate, we can all look forward to England being England again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Southgate’s record is one thing, but England’s record is poorer than poor.

Euro16: Lost to Iceland in first knockout round

WC14: Last in the group, lost all matches except a draw against Costa Rica.

Euro12: Lost to Italy in first knockout round

WC10: Lost to Germany in first knockout round.

Euro08: Failed to qualify

WC06: In the first knockout round beats Ecuador, but loses to Portugal in the next round.

Euro04: Lost to Portugal in first knockout round.

WC02: Beat Denmark in first knockout round, but then loses to Brazil.

Euro00: knocked out in group stage.

Those are the years leading up to Southgate. We won a total of 2 knockouts matches in those 9 tournaments. After Southgate, we can all look forward to England being England again.

Yep pre Southgate our record was horrendous. We'd won one knockout game in the history of the euros and you'd have to go back to the 66 world cup to find a time when we knocked out a big team in the world cup

Again I'm plenty critical of Southgate, but we have gone some way to improving those stats

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep pre Southgate our record was horrendous. We'd won one knockout game in the history of the euros and you'd have to go back to the 66 world cup to find a time when we knocked out a big team in the world cup

Again I'm plenty critical of Southgate, but we have gone some way to improving those stats

I'm pretty confident that what happens after this tournament is Southgate is replaced by a younger,  more credible, more tactically astute manager - who does significantly worse than Southgate has. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

I'm pretty confident that what happens after this tournament is Southgate is replaced by a younger,  more credible, more tactically astute manager - who does significantly worse than Southgate has. 

I think this squad is good enough to win something (else?) so I'm hopeful you're incorrect

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

All I know is I've followed England for many years and seen us not qualify for tournaments, not get past the group stages. Not get past quarters and semis. In fact semis of world cup 1990 and 96 Euros was seen as a success. 

Southgate has taken us to two finals, a semi and a quarter. I think he deserves some respect whatever happens on Sunday.

This is like when people were saying Bruce was doing a good job because he got us to a playoff final. What happened right after? A superior manager took the same squad of players and got promoted at the first time of asking.

Unless Southgate actually wins one of these things, getting to semis and finals frankly means nothing.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This is like when people were saying Bruce was doing a good job because he got us to a playoff final. What happened right after? A superior manager took the same squad of players and got promoted at the first time of asking.

Unless Southgate actually wins one of these things, getting to semis and finals frankly means nothing.

Yes but difference is villa had successful managers before that won things, England have won one competition in their history.

8 hours ago, Giro said:

Venables should've got longer after the success of Euro 96 but off the field stuff put paid to that. Hoddle was a good tactical coach but had little empathy with many players and that did create issues after a couple of years. Keegan a tactical disaster and then Sven did well initially but for a top level choice it was bizarre how he was just wield to 4-4-2 and the midfield issues that came to that, Beckham and Owen were also past their peak by mid 2000s and just getting in the team on reputation by then.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think this squad is good enough to win something (else?) so I'm hopeful you're incorrect

Euro 2028 and home tournament is the one England simply have to win. In four years time likes of Mainoo, Foden, Bellingham and Saka will still only be mid 20s so that's a great place to be in and who knows who else will come through in the meantime. Defence will need a bit of renewal by then so a couple of world class CBs would be welcome.

It's a good job for someone else and I do think it points at Graham Potter.

Potters turned down some decent jobs. I'm guessing he has already spoke to the FA. Wouldn't be the worst appoinment, although I wouldn't expect much in the World cup.

That's if Southgate goes, but personally I think it's nailed on win or lose! He has showed many times, he needs the love and don't handle the criticism very well, to the point he's had enough.

20 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Or it could be like when Gerrard left and Unai came in. I'm not saying we are gonna get a Unai next, but if it's a Potter,-esk coach, we won't get instant success, but I'm sure he can get something extra of this group of players.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â