Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

If Klopp or Emery had this team we would be utterly destroying the tournament.

Instead it’s like watching a thoroughbred play like a diseased three legged donkey. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

478118e7f708dc4163f096d26fd3276a.gif

I couldn’t agree less 

That's the issue, I can't get behind Southgate, but I could definitely get behind her 🤣🤣🤣

33 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I think they’ll win because it will be the funniest possible outcome, but also they’ve had such an easy path so far most middling concacaaf sides would have done just as well

I feel like you are being a bit disrespectful to Switzerland there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

His presser is

He’s confused when a German journalist asks him why the performances are so poor and why it takes conceding a goal to wake him up: Southgate clearly thought it was only the UK press that thought his tactics were pants and that he was lauded as a football genius everywhere else. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

He’s not doing ok as national manager at all. He’s the single biggest weakness this team has.

Just ask yourself how would this England team play if Emery was in charge? 

It’s all about context. If you have amnesia and have no memory of England of the past, Southgate is horrible, we can all agree on that.

England in the past have had managers that at least at club level were far superior to Southgate, we have had better squads, we have played better and more enjoyable football. However, the result has been terrible, we often missed out on qualifying to tournament, we were knocked out in the group stages, all in all England have been horrible.

England is about to play its 5th semi-final in a major international tournament. Southgate has taken us to 3 of them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

England is about to play its 5th semi-final in a major international tournament. Southgate has taken us to 3 of them.

Its 6th semi-final. 1966. 1990. 1996. 2018. 2020. 2024. 

5 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

England in the past have had managers that at least at club level were far superior to Southgate, we have had better squads, we have played better and more enjoyable football. However, the result has been terrible, we often missed out on qualifying to tournament, we were knocked out in the group stages, all in all England have been horrible.

I'm not sure I agree with this - we've had squads that featured many big name talents in the past, but in general English players were, until recently, technically and tactically inferior to most of the better teams that we faced. The influx of elite foreign managers & coaches into the Premier League has a had a very beneficial effect on how players get coached at the top level from a young age. And this is what's most frustrating about the current England situation - finally we have a generation of players that could play progressive football and mix it with the best of them and we're stuck with Southgate's plodding, risk-averse football where plan A is to nil-nil our way to a trophy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

It’s all about context. If you have amnesia and have no memory of England of the past, Southgate is horrible, we can all agree on that.

I’ve got no problem stating that the achievements made while he’s been manager are great. 

But it is to completely ignore the football, tactics, subs and squad inclusions and exclusions throughout that have cost us in the big moments.

The biggest factor is we have good players in a time when the big dogs Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Italy and Spain have had a major wobble in overall quality of their teams.

Portugal, Belgium and France have been consistently good and we’ve lost to all 3.

Everything is earnt we could have had Spain esque dominance but that would have meant beating France x2, Argentina, Croatia and Italy in that journey, I don’t believe he has the cajones for it.

8 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

His presser is

He’s confused when a German journalist asks him why the performances are so poor and why it takes conceding a goal to wake him up: Southgate clearly thought it was only the UK press that thought his tactics were pants and that he was lauded as a football genius everywhere else. 

What minute?

• Like 1

If England win this he becomes England's greatest ever manager and the context won't matter in 30/40 years time when future generations will look back at it with rose tinted glasses. Sir Alf was criticised for playing no wingers but no body mentions that now.

52 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I’ve got no problem stating that the achievements made while he’s been manager are great. 

But it is to completely ignore the football, tactics, subs and squad inclusions and exclusions throughout that have cost us in the big moments.

The biggest factor is we have good players in a time when the big dogs Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Italy and Spain have had a major wobble in overall quality of their teams.

Portugal, Belgium and France have been consistently good and we’ve lost to all 3.

Everything is earnt we could have had Spain esque dominance but that would have meant beating France x2, Argentina, Croatia and Italy in that journey, I don’t believe he has the cajones for it.

Southgate is a great manager if you are a casual football fan who watches tournaments every couple of years

To actual football fans he is awful and has lucked his way to some good positions. England always get put on the easy side of the knockout draw, were a 95th minute equaliser from playing Germany yesterday

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If England win this he becomes England's greatest ever manager and the context won't matter in 30/40 years time when future generations will look back at it with rose tinted glasses. Sir Alf was criticised for playing no wingers but no body mentions that now.

What if England don't win?

Edited by Tomaszk

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Wonder if he’ll get knighted if we win the whole thing?

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets one with irrespective.

He's, laughably, 100% getting one with a win.

They're pointless now regardless. Far too many sports awards.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â