Gareth "Interesting" Southgate

Richard

3 hours ago, Adman said:

I don't want my country to lose for any reason.  If he wins the euros playing the worst shite I've ever seen, I'll still be happy we won.  

Me too. Yes the.football has been crap but it's better than being not in it or knocked out and in any case I don't think he will stay even if we win it. 

• Like 1

I'm okay with my country losing a continental tournament, if it means we are better prepared for the World Cup.

Considering the speculation is that Southgate is gone at the end of this tournament regardless, it's easy to be pro-England: except I want Konsa and Watkins on the beach ASAP because they've got a ton of work coming very soon.

34 minutes ago, jim said:

Really?  If we go on to win the tournament you could understand this being highlighted as the moment that effectively won it for us, but having only just scraped past a country with a population lower than London I'm not sure it's warranted at this stage. 

Maybe sold the vision by Wagner and Co of a million zulus that will want to buy it and make it a hot seller... mate.

3 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Southgate is so passionately and vehemently despised at a national level simply because a vast majority of the population find football is deeply ingrained in them, from an age before they can remember. It's replaced religion as our obsession and what we have our faith in. It's infinitely more popular than politics. It's been going far longer than any TV show, and retains far more viewers. The England job is the pinnacle of that, it's like being the Pope. Everyone knows who you are, no matter your club colours.

People have extreme negative reactions to Southgate because of the strength of their feelings. We've had many years of failing, but when it goes well the effect it has on the country's psyche is like nothing else. World Cup 90, Euro 96, beating Germany 5-1, and the Beckham free kick Vs Greece have been some of the best times I've ever had as an Englishman. The spite from the fans would be replaced instantly with incredible positivity if he gave us something to get behind.

The last 8 years haven't been great, but the last 6 have definitely been a case of what might have been, and this also hurts.

That's seriously whoa. Great post.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611qdggt76ciog1egdxx9

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I believe we're almost to that strange tournament stage when England fans who absolutely do not care about England start getting sheepish and a bit quiet as they refresh this thread.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611k0ogfxpv8trp3u2gsf

Since his big defender on here, If Unai left tomorrow would you consider Southgate a good appointment?

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Since his big defender on here, If Unai left tomorrow would you consider Southgate a good appointment?

He'd be a good and solid Tesco area manager.

26 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Cannot argue he is getting results

That's another semi final for him

More by luck than judgement. Zero clear cut chances in 120 mins.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

He’s going to win the Euros isn’t he

We’ll go out once we play a top 10 side, same as always. 

The fact he’s managed to make a: Final, Semi-Final and Semi-Final until meeting a team of this level is nothing short of lottery winning-esque good fortune.

Just how comparatively easy our side of the draw is this tournament feels like a generationally lucky event.

Edited by penguin
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Cannot argue he is getting results

That's another semi final for him

1 win and 4 draws . It's limping along.

• Like 1

On 05/07/2024 at 06:20, Zatman said:

Southgate is an useless club manager, but he doing ok as a national manager. Different skillsets required for the two jobs, just like Gerrard was an ok player, but hopeless manager.

• Like 1

He’s not doing ok as national manager at all. He’s the single biggest weakness this team has.

Just ask yourself how would this England team play if Emery was in charge? 

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â