The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Still don't get your logic. We lost a game of football. Brighton will lose games of football too and not show up to some games. They already have this season. I don't understand how it's remotely unfair? 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an entertaining system, but 6th place can realistically get promotion to the prem and earn about £150 million in the process - we go from a league system to a knock out system at the very end of a long hard season - seems a bit unfair all in all, but that is only in my humble opinion course. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an entertaining system, but 6th place can realistically get promotion to the prem and earn about £150 million in the process - we go from a league system to a knock out system at the very end of a long hard season - seems a bit unfair all in all, but that is only in my humble opinion course. 

Right okay I see. With all that in mind, who is it unfair on? 

To me it's unfair on the team that finishes third, rather than the top two. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Just now, PieFacE said:

Right okay I see. With all that in mind, who is it unfair on? 

To me it's unfair on the team that finishes 3rd, rather than the top two. 

Yeah I've no pity for the top two, but they could have put in the season of a lifetime, while Villa goes and spends 60 million, scrapes in 6th, gets lucky in the play offs and bascially earns the same prize, just not very meritocratic. Complete hyperthetical BS though, cos if that actually happens I will not be sticking to this line!

• Like 1

Well yeah when it's put that way I see the point, unfair on third, yes. However I guess they had to find a way to make the League "exciting".

Then again the margins are so fine it's almost impossible, if you look at the table now most teams are either on the same points, or 1 - 2 points apart.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I think we have the talent for it.....I just don't think we have the drive, will or physicality for it.

This team as it stands, won't go up IMO

it all depends for me who we sign.

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well yeah when it's put that way I see the point, unfair on third, yes. However I guess they had to find a way to make the League "exciting".

Then again the margins are so fine it's almost impossible, if you look at the table now most teams are either on the same points, or 1 - 2 points apart.

Yeah, we are all much of a muchness. January signings could be the key, no pressure Steve!

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not really. it's very competitive, but our position is down to nothing more than how shit we have been. Once again, if it wasn't for certain late consolations we would be easily top 3-4/

But we are not top 3-4, we are 13th..

We can definitely still make the play-offs.  But unless we show some massive improvement from the Norwich shambles over the next few months, I'd not want to see us back up in the PL - we'd get battered every week and set new levels of crapness records.

Bruce knows we'd need to average 2pts a game. He also knows our away games have been tough. This is exactly what we need a pragmatic approach and getting into the playoffs. We will have days like Norwich but I'm glad it's happened now as it shows we are still quite weak and in need of improvements. I thought if Bruce could half the gap by Jan we'd be in a cracking position to get in the playoffs. He's done better so we are in a good place. We need however to get rid of this Sky hoodoo and improve our away form. Let's start Sunday!! 

3 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Poor excuse, then evry team can say that, if we hadn't conceded that goal or had we just put away that chance..

The table dont lie, you are where you desrves to be.

You pretty much just reinforced my point though.

We are where we are because it's where WE deserve to be, majorly down to OURSELVES, not because of the brilliance of all the teams in the league which is what you were intimating initially.

16 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Well apparently there are 12 teams that are more brilliant then us in this league....

I'm sure you know there are way too many variables to consider before making such a claim.

No point getting into this as i am SURE you know.

16 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Yeah but we have also lost 2/3. The difference is that Reading have a lot more points than us. We started this season so poorly that we desperately need a long winning streak to make up ground and we just can't seem to do it. Not yet anyway. 

I'll be content with top 8 and I think that's a realistic target. 

No that is very true. After the shambolic start under RDM we were 15 points behind the likes of Huddersfield.

We got the gap narrowed to them down to 3 recently but now we've started losing and they've started winning again which is frustrating.

I won't rule out play offs though...there are still 20 odd games left. If it gets down to 10 left and we're still 7-8 points adrift then it will look pretty difficult.

Far too many games left. It would help if we could actually win an away game though!

• Like 1

Personally I do not believe we are good enough to go up this year - although I'm hoping to be spectacularly wrong. January may cause me to to re-think this through.

as for the play-off's I think they are fantastic for the game in general and we all know the rules before a ball is kicked in anger each August - so I'm not sure they can be labelled unfair IMO

I've never really followed the Championship before more than by browsing through the table a few times a season. There is just so much more interesting and frankly better football out there and I don't have the time.

Always followed the PL (and the old First Division) thou and it seems to me there is almost always 1 or 2 proper good teams that get promoted each year. And then there is 1 or 2 teams that are pretty much just the least bad of the rest or get a bit of form at the crucial final stages of the season.

If we get the transfers right in January we still just might have a chance to be that least bad of the rest teams that find form at the right time. IF we get the transfers right...

And if we do, then it will be really exiting to see what Xia's plans are for his club.

Sadly I just don't see it happening this season.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

No that is very true. After the shambolic start under RDM we were 15 points behind the likes of Huddersfield.

We got the gap narrowed to them down to 3 recently but now we've started losing and they've started winning again which is frustrating.

I won't rule out play offs though...there are still 20 odd games left. If it gets down to 10 left and we're still 7-8 points adrift then it will look pretty difficult.

Far too many games left. It would help if we could actually win an away game though!

It would help if we could win our individual duels.....then apply our talent......then score a goal without conceding.......then win a game.

there are no short cuts in this game you have to be durable and impose and apply yourself.

do that and there may be a chance.

its called competing, something in some games we would do well to learn.

Edited by TRO

49 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Norwich getting dicked by Huddersfield. We are a billion miles away.

We are not billions of miles away.....there are aspects of our game that needs urgent attention......thats all.

• Like 1