January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

50 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Johnstone 

Jenkinson

Hourihane

Lansbury

Rhodes

Are those the 5 we've been linked with mostly? Not a bad list there. 

I'd be happy with that. A line-up of this until Kodjia returns would be more than decent:

-----------------------Johnstone----------------------

Jenkinson----Chester-----Baker-----Amavi

--------------------------Jedinak-----------------------

-----------Lansbury------------Hourihane--------

Adomah------------Rhodes-----------Grealish

Kodjia can replace either Rhodes or Grealish when he returns, if they're not doing the business. 

It wouldn't make sense for Middlesbrough to buy Gestede and then sell the guy he formed such a great partnership with at Blackburn. 

If Middlesbrough buy Gestede i would imagine it will be to play alongside Rhodes. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

It wouldn't make sense for Middlesbrough to buy Gestede and then sell the guy he formed such a great partnership with at Blackburn. 

If Middlesbrough buy Gestede i would imagine it will be to play alongside Rhodes. 

I doubt it. He's what, third choice behind Negredo and Stuani? They have a much better version of Gestede in Negredo already.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I don't understand your basis for this. He's got a decent record of getting things right and comes across honest and admits when things don't work out rather than making excuses.

He 'retweets' information given by journalists, or Tony himself, as his own. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Don't think we've been linked with Lansbury except posters on here saying they want him to be honest. 

Think it's pretty much the same with Hourihane too. 

We were linked with hourihane in one article.

IMO we have to be careful here as signing too many 'Championship' players gives you a Championship team. I said the exact same thing a few seasons back when PL was signing a lot of lower league players. I get that we are in the Championship and need players that can perform at this level to get us back up but if they aren't good enough for the Prem then we either come straight back down or have a bunch of players that we cant use who are on 3-4 year contracts.

The task at hand for the club is to get in players who are more than competent at this level but also going to be decent prem players when we are promoted in 5 months time.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

IMO we have to be careful here as signing too many 'Championship' players gives you a Championship team. I said the exact same thing a few seasons back when PL was signing a lot of lower league players. I get that we are in the Championship and need players that can perform at this level to get us back up but if they aren't good enough for the Prem then we either come straight back down or have a bunch of players that we cant use who are on 3-4 year contracts.

The task at hand for the club is to get in players who are more than competent at this level but also going to be decent prem players when we are promoted in 5 months time.

Very true. That's why loans might well be the way to go for now. 

Any news on Loftus-Cheek's situation at Chelsea? 

27 minutes ago, av1 said:

Boro have already said Rhodes can leave if they receive a suitable offer - he has barely figured this season .

6 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

'Good players' are 'good players' no matter which division they play.  

Teams like Leicester, Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford et al have proved you can build a decent enough side with 'championship' players!.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

'Good players' are 'good players' no matter which division they play.  

Teams like Leicester, Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford et al have proved you can build a decent enough side with 'championship' players!.

Agreed and these kind of players have the hunger and desire to succeed at a higher level -far better than some who are happy to take the cash and languish in the reserves.

2 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

I'm not sure why we are going for another up and coming keeper, especially on loan.  We play him, help him develop and then he buggers off back to his parent club a better player for it.

Surely we should be developing our own up and coming keeper.  Get a keeper, yes but an old experienced head, who is better than Bunn, to help and guide Gollini.

I can never see Johnstone making it at Man Utd so it may be with a view to a permanent move?

• Like 1