Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

10 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

just shows that the excuses given why Bruce couldn't realistically get us to promotion last year were nonsense.  

How do you make that deduction.....circumstances were not identical.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, Eastie said:

Had we finished top 10 I think he would have done an ok job last season - I agree 13th was underperforming .

So 3 places represent such a change in appraisal?

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, TRO said:

So 3 places represent such a change in appraisal?

Of course it does , should we finish 5th or 8th ? 5th or 2nd ? 

In this case promotion was not affected but to be in 8th place on Dec 28th and finish in 13 th place with the squad and money Bruce had at his disposal is not acceptable or ok.

I was prepared to give him the chance and back him to go again this season and see how we progressed but have been hugely disappointed so far .

i hoped given a pre season he would have got his act together and started the season on the front foot with a chosen formation and settled best line up - he seems to not have a clue how to play or who to play .

We have made a poor start this season and are already 10 points off the top after just 5 games - he needs results - consistently and fast !!!!

i judge Steve Bruce on results not excuses!

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did Bruce really say he had to balance the books this summer.  So what the hell was he doing with his spending in January! 

I try to defend Bruce but he really does chat shit at times. 

He rolled the dice in January, signed one of the top scorers and two of the most creative midfielders, it's really not rocket science to understand it.

They didn't / haven't worked out, hindsight, as ever is a great thing.

Like Bruce, I remember everyone (and I mean everyone) else being excited with those signings so seems petty to now use it as another stick with which to beat him.

20 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Absolutely, the signings were indeed exciting, and I don't think anyone can begrudge Bruce for them as such. His usage of said signings on the other hand is an altogether different issue, and where he's failed miserably imho.

His usage?

What, by playing Hogan up front and Lansbury/Hourihane in midfield?

Maybe he should have used them as a 3-at-the-back instead and pushed Mark Bunn up front?

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He rolled the dice in January, signed one of the top scorers and two of the most creative midfielders, it's really not rocket science to understand it.

Like Bruce, I remember everyone (and I mean everyone) else being excited with those signings so seems petty to now use it as another stick with which to beat him.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. The signing made sense and I was excited by them. But they were also expensive so I don't think he should now be acting like he is doing the club a favour with his transfer activity by balancing the books.  You can't spend 20m odd in  Jan window as a championship club and then say you are cleaning up the mess 8 months later. 

As I said I don't really care about what managers have to say but I think he should really focus on the football side of things in his interviews. 

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

His usage?

What, by playing Hogan up front and Lansbury/Hourihane in midfield?

Maybe he should have used them as a 3-at-the-back instead and pushed Mark Bunn up front?

Well it's not really that simple is it? Formations and tactics make a difference. Obviously I do not have any real insight into these matters, and can't say for certain what instructions players have received, etc., yet it's quite clear we've performed poorly, especially these players. I don't buy into the notion that it's mostly the players fault, as some on here do. These players were all top performers at their previous clubs, and frankly as far as I'm concerned Bruce just hasn't been able to integrate them and get the best out of them. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Absolutely, the signings were indeed exciting, and I don't think anyone can begrudge Bruce for them as such. His usage of said signings on the other hand is an altogether different issue, and where he's failed miserably imho.

'Usage".

I think this word hits the nail on the head. 

It begs the question whether they were Round's signings, because surely Bruce would have known that they weren't suited to 'Brucie' football.

Since these players were signed he has only once picked the right team and shape to get the best out of of them. Even then by his own admission that was not his choice, it was because of injuries to his usual selections.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Probably referring to Lansbury being played much deeper than he was at his previous club.

Hourihane being benched in favor of Bacuna and if played, once again played much deeper than at his previous club.

Hogan being benched in favor of Gabby and if played used as an isolated target man, something he is obviously not suited to.

But you already know that was what he meant. 

No, I didn't.

All 3 were given chances, none impressed, in fact bar the odd performance (Hourihane hattrick obvs) the three remain largely unimpressive.

Asking a midfielder to play in midfield shouldn't be that alien a concept, whether you're asked to play 10 yards in front of the halfway line or 10 yards behind it.

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No, I didn't.

All 3 were given chances, none impressed, in fact bar the odd performance (Hourihane hattrick obvs) the three remain largely unimpressive.

Asking a midfielder to play in midfield shouldn't be that alien a concept, whether you're asked to play 10 yards in front of the halfway line or 10 yards behind it.

Fair enough.

For me that's a bit like saying all pieces of a puzzle should fit in any given place because they are roughly the same.

But I imagine Bruce agrees with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think where the disparity comes in this

• I blame him indirectly for the form of his players and I guess you do to
  • Others who criticise him more....blame him directly.

I understand that a manager has to be responsible for his players, particularly those he signs, I also understand that he is responsible for setting them up/blending them etc.

but he can't go on the pitch and do it for them.

In terms of Blame there has to be a distinction of sorts.....Managers are ultimately responsible, but players are also responsible for their actions on the pitch.

4 hours ago, sne said:

Fair enough.

For me that's a bit like saying all pieces of a puzzle should fit in any given place because they are roughly the same.

But I imagine Bruce agrees with you.

If he does, great :)

I'd take far more value in being in league with someone with 40 odd years experience in football versus a bunch of internet forum members.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â