Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, villarocker said:

Mate, I hear what you are saying with regards to Bruce attracting these players to the club but is it really that much of an achievement to get them here?

Terry wanted to play outside of the Premier League and how many other Championship clubs would have been able to pay him the kind of wages he will be earning plus, have the prestige that we have?

Did Whelan have many PL suitors for him? Even if there was other clubs after him he would have been on decent money at Stoke so maybe any PL clubs after him didn't fancy paying that kind of wage and we did? 

Elmohamady probably wasn't so well sought after and he has worked with Bruce before and obviously has a rapport with him so that's no big surprise either.

Even if Bruce did do great in attracting those players to the club, I can remember how Veretout was asking "who are Leicester City?" when he came to us and look at the difference between us and them that season!

Just because these players have chosen us it doesn't necessarily mean we are going to be a better football club on the pitch. That's not me knocking the players or Bruce for signing them, it's just me stating the obvious that those players might turn out to be bad as much as they could be good - time will tell. I guess I just would have been much happier had we changed a couple of coaches or maybe brought in attacking players that could create chances because last season showed how badly we lacked creativity in the final third and I am not sure that we have addressed that this summer. But, the window isn't shut yet and that could still change.

For now, I have seen nothing to make me think that we won't see the season start off with another 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

your words....time will tell.

7 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

OK, cards on the table. I was bitterly disappointed when we appointed Steve Bruce last year as I thought we had given it to the wrong guy. My choice was Dean Smith, which was confirmed when Brentford caned us 3-0, and finished above us in the table even after gaining 12 million by selling us Hogan. With that being said, he will always have my support, and I hope and pray for a Villa win every week. 

I've read on here about us rebuilding. I'm afraid I don't see anything of the sort. What I see is a manager, making short-term decisions, and who has bought in a number of seasoned and very expensive experienced players. My only hope is that (A) they are for more than just the money (In Terry, I don't believe that's the case), and (B) we have a side that is capable of scoring goals. My real worry is the latter. I do keep an eye to see what Brentford are doing, and they have managed to score 17 goals pre-season playing against teams like Southampton and Celta Vigo. We on the other hand have struggled to score.

What I want to see is a good start, so that I can look forward to the next game each week with a confidence that we will score goals and get results. And, if this happens I will say all hail our mighty leader who had a vision, and made all the right decisions. However, if we are poor to average, and languishing mid-table after a dozen or so games, I think we have to cut the cord quickly and decisively. If we have to do that, and I'm really hoping we don't, just give Brentford and Dean smith a call.

What you fail to mention here, is that during this time they conceded 5 goals in 2 games against league 1 opposition and have failed to keep a clean sheet, including games against aldershot and Lausanne. 

Having such a brittle defence will lose you more games than it wins you at this level.

Just wanted to level this very one-sided argument out a bit for you.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

OK, cards on the table. I was bitterly disappointed when we appointed Steve Bruce last year as I thought we had given it to the wrong guy. My choice was Dean Smith, which was confirmed when Brentford caned us 3-0, and finished above us in the table even after gaining 12 million by selling us Hogan. With that being said, he will always have my support, and I hope and pray for a Villa win every week. 

I've read on here about us rebuilding. I'm afraid I don't see anything of the sort. What I see is a manager, making short-term decisions, and who has bought in a number of seasoned and very expensive experienced players. My only hope is that (A) they are for more than just the money (In Terry, I don't believe that's the case), and (B) we have a side that is capable of scoring goals. My real worry is the latter. I do keep an eye to see what Brentford are doing, and they have managed to score 17 goals pre-season playing against teams like Southampton and Celta Vigo. We on the other hand have struggled to score.

What I want to see is a good start, so that I can look forward to the next game each week with a confidence that we will score goals and get results. And, if this happens I will say all hail our mighty leader who had a vision, and made all the right decisions. However, if we are poor to average, and languishing mid-table after a dozen or so games, I think we have to cut the cord quickly and decisively. If we have to do that, and I'm really hoping we don't, just give Brentford and Dean smith a call.

I understand you thought process but where Smith is a more of a gamble than Bruce is handling being the face of such an enormous club as Aston Villa. For most managers it's just too much - the expectation, the size, the history. I'm not saying Smith couldn't handle it but football is littered with managers who had great success building smaller teams on small budgets, but when given a shot at even smaller clubs than Villa, they just wilt. In many ways Villa ruined (or exposed) Lambert, Owen Coyle was going to be the next big thing, Mowbray, there's plenty more out there.

People used to say that bloke who managed Hull was destined for big things. But then he did his half-time talk on the pitch in front of fans and it was the beginning of the end. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

I understand you thought process but where Smith is a more of a gamble than Bruce is handling being the face of such an enormous club as Aston Villa. For most managers it's just too much - the expectation, the size, the history. I'm not saying Smith couldn't handle it but football is littered with managers who had great success building smaller teams on small budgets, but when given a shot at even smaller clubs than Villa, they just wilt. In many ways Villa ruined (or exposed) Lambert, Owen Coyle was going to be the next big thing, Mowbray, there's plenty more out there.

People used to say that bloke who managed Hull was destined for big things. But then he did his half-time talk on the pitch in front of fans and it was the beginning of the end. 

spot on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I'm gonna hate myself for saying this but I think we're going to win the Championship by 10 points. Our squad shits on nearly all other teams in this mediocre league. We have a great captain, options, a good bench, a manager who when he gets it right produces a team who are organised and get promoted. We have gotten rid of most of the dead wood. Yes we were hopeful last season, yes we've said this kind of thing before and blah blah but I'm feeling positive for the first time in a long time and if you're not before a ball has been kicked then you never will. UTV.

you are already someone's public enemy N01:)

......................just kidding everyone wants the villa to do well.

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Phil Brown was 'that bloke' just for the record

• Like 1

It's amazing that when you actually listen to a full Steve Bruce interview you get the full facts. No excuses about injuries. Nothing. Im sure some will form a negative opinion. I just hope that we stick behind this team so they've got a fair crack this season. Newcastle lost their first 2 games last year but I think we will get off to a good start. 

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

And amazing when he says nothing anyone could find puzzling nobody is puzzling.

Almost as if people comment when they feel there is something to comment on !

Whatever next!?

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Wasn't really in depth was it? 

Basically, it was the young ones, young ones, young ones, young ones, Grealish/injury update and he's a bit excited. One his mates has given up and buggered off to Hawaii and it's Sod's law we got Hull 1st game. 

Nothing really about many of the senior pros, the way he wants to play, formations, expectations etc etc. 

Meh. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Wasn't really in depth was it? 

Basically, it was the young ones, young ones, young ones, young ones, Grealish/injury update and he's a bit excited. One his mates has given up and buggered off to Hawaii and it's Sod's law we got Hull 1st game. 

Nothing really about many of the senior pros, the way he wants to play, formations, expectations etc etc. 

Meh. 

And alot of him cutting the reporter off to get to the point. lol

Didn't really seem to want to be there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

And amazing when he says nothing anyone could find puzzling nobody is puzzling.

Almost as if people comment when they feel there is something to comment on !

Spoke to soon judging by JV's comments just now? 'Seems like he didn't want to be there'. That really is scraping the barrel of ways to get at Bruce.

I think, judging by that interview, he wants the results to do the talking and that's why he's looking forward to Saturday so much! 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â