Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

We were playing 5 at the back, anyone who thinks the 5 were across the middle need to look at where bjarnesson and bree were positioned during the match.

Amavi would have taken over lb position, and bjarnesson would be a better option in the centre than any of bacuna, green or adomah who all came on. 

The only good thing is that Bruce now has decided on a formation and said he will stick with it now he has the personnel - Taylor and bree will be a lot better than Hutton and amavi for us and the only reason bjarnason started on the left was Taylor being ill.

As for amavi this is the kick up the arse he deserved .

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The only good thing is that Bruce now has decided on a formation and said he will stick with it now he has the personnel - Taylor and bree will be a lot better than Hutton and amavi for us and the only reason bjarnason started on the left was Taylor being ill.

As for amavi this is the kick up the arse he deserved .

But surely with Taylor missing, down to 10 men and sitting back as we were, amavi was a better option from the bench than adomah, green or bacuna? I'm talking about yesterday, not the overall picture.

Their introduction only added to the forest pressure as none of the subs could either win back or retain the ball. 

Poor choices by Bruce for me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

But surely with Taylor missing, down to 10 men and sitting back as we were, amavi was a better option from the bench than adomah, green or bacuna? I'm talking about yesterday, not the overall picture.

Their introduction only added to the forest pressure as none of the subs could either win back or retain the ball. 

Poor choices by Bruce for me.

For me the question was why take off both kodija and hogan - surely one or the other but not both - I agree the substitutions were baffling and changes should have been made earlier before grealish was sent off .

Regarding  last nights subs yes I agree with your point .

once he'd took both strikers off we had no outlet where hogan has the strength to hold up the ball and looked decent .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

Just now, Eastie said:

For me the question was why take off both kodija and hogan - surely one or the other but not both - I agree the substitutions were baffling and changes should have been made earlier before grealish was sent off .

once he'd took both strikers off we had no outlet where hogan has the strength to hold up the ball and looked decent .

I agree with you there. 

At least keep one attacking outlet on. 

Bruce was as much to blame as johnstone for losing yesterday. 

• Like 2

We should give him till the end of the season. I've plenty I'm annoyed with (one of those is Jack) another Johnstone, both really also lay a little blame at Bruce's door. But we have to give him the rest of the season to see if he's fit for the job.

Several things still haven't been improved and highlight to me that Bruce hasn't a clue. How many times on Tuesday and yesterday did the keeper just kick it up the pitch. The opposition played it out from the back. A quick word from the sideline would have stopped that. 

The whole zero movement at throw ins.......Still nothing done.

Bruce isn't a coach, be will only improve the side by buying better players. We will never be greater than the sum of our parts.

Although Bruce messed up once Grealish went off he didn't exactly have luck on his side yesterday. Forest's keeper pulled off some great saves and got lucky whereas ours spilled an easy one. On another day we could have scored 4.

He needs to sort the keeper out and get us actually playing football further up the pitch but I'm still keen to give him until the summer to see what he can do with the squad. Plus, if he does get the boot, our choice of potential manager could be better in the summer.

He says casting envious glances at Huddersfield. :-)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

With all due respect to certain fans I'm glad Xia isn't as rash and emotional as them and understands such a massive overhaul could always take time. As I mentioned before from now until the end of the season is all about stability now with an expectancy of automatic promotion next season.  

I think in the long run it is a lot safer to get promoted as a team playing well together no matter what the level rather a team of individuals scraping through for the playoffs. 

He sacked his first ever manager after 10 games

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

With all due respect to certain fans I'm glad Xia isn't as rash and emotional as them and understands such a massive overhaul could always take time. As I mentioned before from now until the end of the season is all about stability now with an expectancy of automatic promotion next season.  

I think in the long run it is a lot safer to get promoted as a team playing well together no matter what the level rather a team of individuals scraping through for the playoffs. 

Well said, now is a time to pull togeather and support. Another manager change results in numerous personnel changes and we are back to square one. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If he's the man to lead us up next year, then I guess we now have 18 pre season games to get things clicking and get things right. 

Forget finishing above the scum or anyone else, as long as there's three below us. 

It's all about preparing for next year 

Yes any slim hope has now gone so let's plan for next season - finally he's decided he will stick with this formation so let's get the team settled and ready to hit the ground running next season - downside is we cannot sort the keeper until the summer but most of the other positions we have the players in place to build towards a promotion shot next year.

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, DK82 said:

We should give him till the end of the season. I've plenty I'm annoyed with (one of those is Jack) another Johnstone, both really also lay a little blame at Bruce's door. But we have to give him the rest of the season to see if he's fit for the job.

I think you are right when you say that he should be given until the end of the season to see if he has the wherewithal to build a promotion winning team ( his track record clearly evidences this) my fears are what comes next- can he take the club forward following promotion - let's not kid ourselves this is Aston villa - a club I have followed for over 40 years and I know fine well that as fans we expect a lot- just scrimping by in the bottom half of the prem is not acceptable for more than one season and this in my view is where Bruce gets found out and is the reason why I was underwhelmed by his appointment in the first place.

on the other hand I can see why some fans might advocate for change in order to give a new manager time to put their own mark on the team in readiness for a promotion assault next year- it's not difficult to share this view either - although getting rid of another manager so soon - would this make the job a poison chalice ? I don't know.

As I said in a previous post Dr Tony has some serious thinking to do in my view - although from tweets on here- it seems as though he is committed to SB

While I agree 100% with what Dr X is saying in those tweets, I don't believe for a second that that is what he has been thinking for a while. It really comes across as a reaction to what he is seeing following the last month more than anything and is trying to temper our and his own expectations somewhat. 

But I do still agree with him.

12 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I think you are right when you say that he should be given until the end of the season to see if he has the wherewithal to build a promotion winning team ( his track record clearly evidences this) my fears are what comes next- can he take the club forward following promotion

We cross that road when we get to it. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â