Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, remotevillan said:

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I thought he was very important for us. When we went down a rot had spread into the squad. Terrible recruitment resulted in too many players who just didn't give a shit or weren't even fit enough. When the Italian guy left we needed somebody like Bruce to build the core of a football team again with good characters (he's old skool in his outlook) and fighters. I really think he laid the foundation for Dean later. He was the right guy for us at the time. He stopped the rot.

The Italian guy otherwise known as Roberto Di Matteo.

The summer business was slapdash and erratic. We made some awful signings. 

We also made some signings that I would categorise as good.

Kodija, Chester, Adomah are the good signings. I’d say that Jedinak and Elphick “did a job” for us (and I would say they were good characters).

Gollini could have been alright given time. De Laet, we have to discount because of injury. 

The two out and out terrible signings were McCormack and Tshibola. And while Bruce was in charge when bringing in good characters (Elmo, Hourihane, McGinn) he also did his best to waste money with the likes of Hogan, Lansbury, Bree. Basically a million quid on Jacob Bedeau and never played him. Beg, borrow and steal indeed.

Any rot and squad deficiencies Bruce took care of when he came in (the midfield being the most deficient) he replaced with his own disharmony around the club and squad deficiencies (defence sorely lacking…let’s give Mile another go at centre half).

He bombed out Elphick when we were on our knees in defence and alienated Adomah who had been our top goal scorer the previous season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, remotevillan said:

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I thought he was very important for us. When we went down a rot had spread into the squad. Terrible recruitment resulted in too many players who just didn't give a shit or weren't even fit enough. When the Italian guy left we needed somebody like Bruce to build the core of a football team again with good characters (he's old skool in his outlook) and fighters. I really think he laid the foundation for Dean later. He was the right guy for us at the time. He stopped the rot.

Let's not forget the mess he left us in, 12th in the table after 11 games having only won 3 of them.

Also, had the biggest budget in the league and the best he could do was a play-off final defeat where we got played off the park.

• Like 1

I think people give Bruce too much credit. He had Jack Grealish and John Terry, along with some other players who were good at that level. We all know he didn't do tactics or training, the football was awful and negative too. We went into every game trying not to lose. The one game we let the handbrake off we stuffed Wolves with all their Portuguese stardust.

I just wish we'd appointed someone like Dean Smith sooner. Bruce held us back.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, remotevillan said:

Just because he was better than the Italian guy doesn't mean Bruce was the right man at the right time. He's still a tactically inept, fat, waste of space, cabbage head.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I think people give Bruce too much credit. He had Jack Grealish and John Terry, along with some other players who were good at that level. We all know he didn't do tactics or training, the football was awful and negative too. We went into every game trying not to lose. The one game we let the handbrake off we stuffed Wolves with all their Portuguese stardust.

I just wish we'd appointed someone like Dean Smith sooner. Bruce held us back.

He had to beg borrow and steal. Just ignore he was paying loan players like Snodgras, Bolasie and Abraham about 200k a week.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â