Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Do actual hard facts just get forgotten?

You do realise that in 2 years SB has still spent around 50% (less in fact, I think) of what di matteo spent in his short time here in transfer fees? 

Not to mention we have RDM to thank for gems such as Mccormack, tshibola and Gollini 

Gollini has left.  ;)

RDM spent about £20m buying a spine of Gollini - Elphick - Tshibola - McCormack.

Championship clubs can't afford for £20m of investment like that turning out to be unfit for purpose.

Massive part of why we are where we are.

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We equally can thank Bruce for Hogan, Lansbury & Whelan.

As for that. Lansbury and Whelan both came in for less than Tshibola alone and Hogan has been a lot more use than McCormack for the same price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Henry was not the answer, the only thing ever swaying me in his favour was the sheer craving of wanting to see forward thinking, new school, innovative ideas to maybe witness being implemented (if he even has any) at BMH. Could our side perhaps be more cohesive, more consistant, and actually impress us? My gut says its too much of a reach (mainly down to personnell) . But yeah, Henry was just too big of a gamble for us right now. Especially if we are restricted in what we can do in the transfer market.

But in many ways, Bruce is a big gamble again too. We know what we'll get. This is his squad now, and our style is frustrating as ****,  after 2 years youd hope for a bit more, especially with last seasons squad.

Bruce likes to rely on experienced older heads over youth. Glenn Whelan, Mile Jedinak, Ahmed Elmohammady, Neil Taylor who are all in the mould of Bruce, nothing special, but steady. The thing is, we're all pretty much agreed, steady wont get you out of this division. 

Bruce shows no signs of evolving as a manager. Relies on experience, when we have always looked at our best over the decades with pace and exuberance, we needed to buy the right players for promotion when we went down 2 years ago, when we had parachute money to rise above the rest, but we didnt. We simply didnt learn from the 'moneyball' experiment in the prem, and simply repeated the trick in the championship.  Now we have to wheel n deal, but Bruce just Whelan Deals ?. All you hear is how Bruce knows this division and had 4 promotions. Well thats all well and good but I think football has moved on since those days and his style is beginning to look dated. Warnock did actually manage it last season but i think most will agree Bruce doesnt look like getting it done this time around, too often he is out thought on the touchline, even when we won it had degrees of fortune.

Look at the sort of business Lampard has done with Mason Mount, Jack Marriott, Harry Wilson. Forest look like doing it the Wolves way, Stoke and West Brom will be the strongest imo, then you have the likes of Swansea, Leeds, Norwich, Hull all look like being our rivals to try and reach a playoff spot. Just dont see us being anywhere close to promotion under Bruce.

So to summarise, dont know what the answer is. Im on the fence but think between the two, the right decision was made. Suppose Bruce deserves a last chance to salvage something considering how he got through the personal losses in his life and still came back to nearly get us up. We have backing now, hopefully things will sort themselves out in time. Thank McGrath we are no longer staring into the abyss. Thats the main thing im taking from recent events, things could be so much worse.

When you mention all those other sides, it really is going to be an uphill struggle, here's hoping.

28 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

When you mention all those other sides, it really is going to be an uphill struggle, here's hoping.

Seeriazly think Bruce is being underestimated. We have the clout to keep the best parts of the squad together and maybe we'll get some decent loans in. I honestly think we will not only compete but also build on last season, we know what it takes now and pre-season has been good - we look ready. 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't really understand all this....its no good playing attacking football and getting done at the back....which is a very popular trait, unless you have top quality players.

I was interesting to see how many times headed balls featured in goals, during the world cup.....but some will have you believe that is outdated too?

• Bolton and Burton .....conceded 74 and 81 goals respectively

Do you not see a correlation?

Maybe they deployed too many players to offensive play and paid the price.

It’s not either or. You’re allowed to have a solid defence and still play attacking football. Of course the better the quality of players, the easier this is to achieve. However everything is relative, we need good quality for success in the Championship, not the Premiership at the moment. Equally importantly the players need to be combined into a team that plays to the strengths of the group. Which for me is what Southgate did in the World Cup. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Seeriazly think Bruce is being underestimated. We have the clout to keep the best parts of the squad together and maybe we'll get some decent loans in. I honestly think we will not only compete but also build on last season, we know what it takes now and pre-season has been good - we look ready. 

With the very greatest of respect I am not sure I can agree that Bruce is underestimated - 2 failed seasons on the trot, pretty dire football for long periods, questionable signings, huge wages paid out - for what return ?

i bet he danced all the way back home last night -  they say better be lucky than good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think pre season is hard to judge. You can't take too much from the first games against Telford and Kiddy and whilst we looked good against Walsall and second half against Burton we were not so good last night, against what admittedly was a good West Ham side, and first half against Burton. I always think pre season is more about building up fitness and trying a few things out than anything else.

I do think Bruce is highly thought of by the players and that will help if we are financially also able to keep Chester and Grealish. I also think he has shown he can attract players. It is getting the best of them consistently where he has been found to be wanting.

I will be interested to hear what he says in his upcoming interviews as that should tell us all we need to know about what aims he has been set this season. I hope he doesn't play down our chances and focus on the negatives, the disruption above him and ffp etc. If we can somehow retain our best players and add a couple of decent players then this club has a hell of a lot going for it and more than most. He needs to focus on the positives, set the bar high and go all out on bettering last season. If we fall short so be it but lets as least go in with that intention. If he does start to play down our chances and focus on the negatives then he will start to see more fans lose faith in him. 

Bruce has been handed another fantastic opportunity at the biggest club he will ever manage and I hope he takes it. If he doesn't no one can say he wasn't given a fair crack of the whip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Interesting.

I thought we looked ok at best against Kidderminster, and Walsall, and decent in the second half at Burton. Other than that I think we’ve looked even worse in preseason than we did last year.

And I wish I thought it didn’t matter, but last years preseason was a perfect template for what followed in the next 7 games, which only really changed when Snodgrass came in. The formation has been different, but the lack of cohesion, the lack of runners off the ball, and the over emphasis on solidity look the same to me.

I hope I’m wrong, because I don’t remember feeling as low about us as I did away at Cardiff and Reading at the start of last year.

I certainly agree the aim shoukd quite reasonably to do better than last year, I don’t share the view of those that think we don’t have the players.

Edited by terrytini
  • Thanks 1

On 25/07/2018 at 20:10, MachoFantastico said:

The fact that the new owners have stuck with Steve Bruce gives me more faith in them already. It's a sensible choice right now and sensible is what we need. Wes Edens and Nassef Sawiris seem like smart businessmen who aren't going to make rash decisions. 

I'm happy now we can concentrate on the future and give Bruce the full support. 

They made a rash decision - they have kept him on !

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Do actual hard facts just get forgotten?

You do realise that in 2 years SB has still spent around 50% (less in fact, I think) of what di matteo spent in his short time here in transfer fees? 

Not to mention we have RDM to thank for gems such as Mccormack, tshibola and Gollini 

In amongst those hards facts you speak of - is there room for 2 failed promotion campaigns - many dire football matches along the way ( ok subjective) - high wages on a gamble that failed and some pretty poor signings  to add to the mix ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watch the hate for Bruce when he goes, and I guarantee it comes most vehemently from those who now profess to love him.

Does anybody here profess to love Bruce?

Why would they then hate him when he leaves?

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Does anybody here profess to love Bruce?

Why would they then hate him when he leaves?

Well according DOL we are fickle :D

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â