Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, fifamad said:

Di Matteo is a better manager than Bruce, had us playing very nice football and if he was given the amount of time Bruce is being given I think he would of done well. There I said it. 

It's quite easy to place very nice football.....when you are bleeding goals against.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

It's quite easy to place very nice football.....when you are bleeding goals against.

Goals conceded was pretty much exactly the same for RDM as Bruce during that season.

What changed was that we stopped conceding them late in the game with Bruce.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim said:

Didn't Bruce have a similar record after his first January window?

He did....but at least he got a bit of street cred for stopping the rot and posting a few wins.....it wasn't like his first 11 games.

I don't think SB will be long term unless he produces a miracle.....They will fix it all in due course.

They will need to see things and hear things ..for themselves.

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Goals conceded was pretty much exactly the same for RDM as Bruce during that season.

What changed was that we stopped conceding them late in the game with Bruce.

• but Bruce registered some wins, which resulted in points
  • yes we did....and that too contributed to wins.

We had a wobble ,which was as bad as RDM's.....but the point that is being answered that RDM was no different.....but who had the conkers to let RDM have a full season, I would'nt.....and lets be fair, If Bruce had of registered 1 win in his first 11 games, he would have gone too.

but my understanding is....there was more to it than meets the eye with RDM.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • but Bruce registered some wins, which resulted in points
  • yes we did....and that too contributed to wins.

We had a wobble ,which was as bad as RDM's.....but the point that is being answered that RDM was no different.....but who had the conkers to let RDM have a full season, I would'nt.....and lets be fair, If Bruce had of registered 1 win in his first 11 games, he would have gone too.

but my understanding is....there was more to it than meets the eye with RDM.

The point I was responding to was yours saying we were bleeding goals under RDM.

12 in 11 games for RDM

36 in 35 games for Bruce.

Edited by sne

2 minutes ago, sne said:

The point I was responding to was yours saying we were bleeding goals under RDM.

meaning...bleeding them when we didn't want to ..resulting in Draws and defeats.....we couldn't hold on to a lead.....it was taking us down, again.

perhaps "bleeding" has mislead you.....conceding then.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

meaning...bleeding them when we didn't want to ..resulting in Draws and defeats.....we couldn't hold on to a lead.....it was taking us down, again.

perhaps "bleeding" has mislead you.....conceding then.

Ah OK

Thought you were on about the myth that RDM had us shipping in goals and Bruce stopped that.

As you say the only thing that changed was the time in the game when we conceded.

FWIW roughly 1 goal/ game conceded that both of them had with us that season is not really that bad. It's only 6 more than this season.

This season thou we scored 25 more :hooray: That's the big difference.

22 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Yeah those late goals with RDM had to be some sort of curse! 

It was just mental that 3/4 game run, 1 minute later every time, 88, 89,90,91. Just hellish, get passed 88 "it can't happen ag...", next game, get past 89 "Surely it'll never ha....", next game get passed 90 minutes, "Well there's no way on god's green.... **** THIS SHIT FOR A GAME OF SOLDIERS WTAF!!!"

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

I believe we were extremely unlucky in some games, I remember the 2-2 against forest under matteo I have rarely seen us dominate a game so clearly, we played brilliant football, I still think given time matteo would of done better than Bruce with all the money Bruce spent along with the time Bruce has been given. Bruce is a severely limited one root manager, his style aswell is disgusting to watch. 

• Like 1

Henry was not the answer, the only thing ever swaying me in his favour was the sheer craving of wanting to see forward thinking, new school, innovative ideas to maybe witness being implemented (if he even has any) at BMH. Could our side perhaps be more cohesive, more consistant, and actually impress us? My gut says its too much of a reach (mainly down to personnell) . But yeah, Henry was just too big of a gamble for us right now. Especially if we are restricted in what we can do in the transfer market.

But in many ways, Bruce is a big gamble again too. We know what we'll get. This is his squad now, and our style is frustrating as ****,  after 2 years youd hope for a bit more, especially with last seasons squad.

Bruce likes to rely on experienced older heads over youth. Glenn Whelan, Mile Jedinak, Ahmed Elmohammady, Neil Taylor who are all in the mould of Bruce, nothing special, but steady. The thing is, we're all pretty much agreed, steady wont get you out of this division. 

Bruce shows no signs of evolving as a manager. Relies on experience, when we have always looked at our best over the decades with pace and exuberance, we needed to buy the right players for promotion when we went down 2 years ago, when we had parachute money to rise above the rest, but we didnt. We simply didnt learn from the 'moneyball' experiment in the prem, and simply repeated the trick in the championship.  Now we have to wheel n deal, but Bruce just Whelan Deals ?. All you hear is how Bruce knows this division and had 4 promotions. Well thats all well and good but I think football has moved on since those days and his style is beginning to look dated. Warnock did actually manage it last season but i think most will agree Bruce doesnt look like getting it done this time around, too often he is out thought on the touchline, even when we won it had degrees of fortune.

Look at the sort of business Lampard has done with Mason Mount, Jack Marriott, Harry Wilson. Forest look like doing it the Wolves way, Stoke and West Brom will be the strongest imo, then you have the likes of Swansea, Leeds, Norwich, Hull all look like being our rivals to try and reach a playoff spot. Just dont see us being anywhere close to promotion under Bruce.

So to summarise, dont know what the answer is. Im on the fence but think between the two, the right decision was made. Suppose Bruce deserves a last chance to salvage something considering how he got through the personal losses in his life and still came back to nearly get us up. We have backing now, hopefully things will sort themselves out in time. Thank McGrath we are no longer staring into the abyss. Thats the main thing im taking from recent events, things could be so much worse.

Unless Bruce’s changes I can’t see him being here by October. 532 doesn’t work work for us. Go back to 433 and drill the players in it. Stop trying to be clever playing full backs at CB. Get your own ideas. Pick energy over experience.  TRust the kids. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TRO said:

He did....but at least he got a bit of street cred for stopping the rot and posting a few wins.....it wasn't like his first 11 games.

I don't think SB will be long term unless he produces a miracle.....They will fix it all in due course.

They will need to see things and hear things ..for themselves.

Not overly happy about Bruce staying but I can see the logic of it for now with a new season only a week away - I hope he will try and play a bit more on the front foot this season and now it’s sorted I hope we can all get behind the team and hopefully add some more quality loan deals - hope you’ve had a good summer Tro - a bit too hot for old eastie :)

Edited by Eastie

I am not a big Bruce fan. I mean, I think he is a genuine , honest and very nice guy who really wants the best for Aston Villa, not doubt. And I also believe he is working very hard to make this club successful. However, the way I see it, he has his limitations and is not at all a long term solution, although I can concede the point that he perhaps was the right guy to come in and "steady the ship" when we were basically sinking. So, no big fan but I still see the absolute rationale in keeping him in charge for now. 2 weeks to the season starts, and what this Club desperately needs is a bit of stability and sensibility. Bruce to me is the godfather of that - not exciting, maybe not even very successful, but still stable and sensible. That will do for now, and then if/when we are mid table come November the new owners will do what they have to do...? If we keep the current Squad and add a few, we will be competitive, I have not doubt. Bruce or no Bruce, Henry or no Henry.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have no idea. It’s why this thread is really 10 pages longs repeated 150 times. 

No it isn't....

Always lying about the numbers.

Just like that @lapal_fan bloke who reckons he's 144.

Some people. Absolute charlatans!!!

Stop having fun this is the Steve Bruce thread.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

Didn't Bruce have a similar record after his first January window?

But he'd already won a load of games beforehand so its not really comparable is it? 

Whatever the weather, di matteo left this club with 1 win in 11, a 10% win record. 

It's not even remotely comparable to SB who currently has the best win percentage of any Manager for a long time, and yeah, we all know its in a lesser divison but that applied to di matteo too. 

Do matteo also got to spend £60m and wasted, really wasted, around 50% of that. 

1 hour ago, fifamad said:

I believe we were extremely unlucky in some games, I remember the 2-2 against forest under matteo I have rarely seen us dominate a game so clearly, we played brilliant football, I still think given time matteo would of done better than Bruce with all the money Bruce spent along with the time Bruce has been given. Bruce is a severely limited one root manager, his style aswell is disgusting to watch. 

Floperto was dreadful one of the worst defensive managers I've ever seen at the club. He was absolute shit.

I'd never take that clown back..I'd say he is on same level as Sherwood 

1 hour ago, fifamad said:

Do actual hard facts just get forgotten?

You do realise that in 2 years SB has still spent around 50% (less in fact, I think) of what di matteo spent in his short time here in transfer fees? 

Not to mention we have RDM to thank for gems such as Mccormack, tshibola and Gollini 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â