Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Well a long ball down the line isn’t a hoof persay whereas a mindless hack away would be. A long ball to a player could be a pass rather than a hoof. etc etc

So how many were hoofs rather than long balls? Or is every long ball a “hoof”?

Balls into channels for players to run on to......not many today lots of balls nowhere our players, balls that were so long they went through to their keeper or to Kodja who tried to keep his markers so far from the ball that the 2nd defender could nip in and pinch it.

If as you suggest we were playing long balls would it not have made sense to have a target man playing up against their defenders?

16 minutes ago, peterms said:

Oh dear, that was poor.  Saw about two thirds of it on a tablet in a car, arrived at the relatives and was too embarrassed to find an excuse to watch the rest.

Caught the results at the end and was pleasantly surprised.   I really thought we were going to lose, even against that bunch of muppets.

We're not going foward, are we?

Well in the final third of the game we did have 4 really good chances including hitting the bar twice so it did get a bit better after the substitutions.

I just want the guy gone yesterday - however having followed villa for more years than I care to remember - I will be honest enough to acknowledge in my view a derby point -  be it Blues, Sandwell or the Dingles is half decent regardless of respective table positions.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I see your point in that Blues were the better team and Jota should have scored for them after Hourihane's attempted assist. But it's the level acceptance from Bruce that irked me. He should have been livid with that performance and the hoofing. He wasn't and the fact that it was a derby was his ready made excuse for that tripe that we served up today.

No argument from me on that.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, av1 said:

I disagree mate. When you look at the performances and results other managers in this leagues are turning out, and then look at the strength of our squad relative to other squads in the league, i don't think replacing Bruce carries an 'equal risk'

The risk to our chances of promotion lie with Bruce alone. I think there are a number of managers in this division that would do at least 'as good a job' as Bruce. 

I would replace him tomorow for any number of current championship managers. 

He has been a football manager for 25yrs, there is a reason that a midtable championship club is the biggest gig he's every had. And they were his words not mine. 

I think you make some decent points.

I also think whilst we have amongst the strongest squads, not so sure about the first eleven.

The offensive side needs much more work on it.

43 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Well in the final third of the game we did have 4 really good chances including hitting the bar twice so it did get a bit better after the substitutions.

I also think Keinans was a slight defelection, so it was going in had it not touched a blues player.

39 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Don't worry Jack's back soon :)

Oh yes, he will buid his team around him. 

Kodjia missing is the perfect excuse.

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

I see your point in that Blues were the better team and Jota should have scored for them after Hourihane's attempted assist. But it's the level acceptance from Bruce that irked me. He should have been livid with that performance and the hoofing. He wasn't and the fact that it was a derby was his ready made excuse for that tripe that we served up today.

This !   Poor is acceptable to this guy.  It was my first and remains my greatest frustration with him.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

This !   Poor is acceptable to this guy.  It was my first and remains my greatest frustration with him.  

The hoof ball is **** poor, no excuses.....but whilst I deplore it...I can only imagine we played it , was because our ball control is equally so poor and we didn't want to get caught in posession.

This was a game he didn't want to lose and sadly it showed.

• Thanks 1

I do not want a manager that sets us up all to often to not lose. I want a manager that pays the due respect to the defensive side but sets us up, however defensive he (or she) likes but with a plan to win. 

He has no plan. Period. 

So I don't want him managing Villa anymore. Where we end up to me is irrelevant, if he gets us promoted I will be overjoyed and celebrate the occasion.

Then the following morning I'm going to come on this thread and say I still want him gone. 

• Like 3

I saw a lot of things I didn't like yesterday:

Hutton at left back - why didn't Bruce get cover for Taylor in the summer?

Hourihane playing deeper that he should be - one of our leading scorers needs to be further forward.

Whelan picking up N'Doye at set pieces - why did that not change before half time?

Onomah playing poorly and not subbed - surely should have gone off for Davis with Kodjia being switched to the left?

Hogan playing left wing - wtf?

I would also ask why Bjarnasson was on the bench? Surely to cover the left side if needed but, when someone was needed there, Bruce chose Hogan instead. De Laet was surely cover for both full back positions so if cover for the left side was needed but Bjarnasson not fancied, why not put Grealish or O'Hare on the bench?

I saw a lot of things yesterday that were wrong and must be attributed to Bruce. 

He needs to stop worrying about nullifying our opponents because by doing so he is nullifying his own players!

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

The hoof ball is **** poor, no excuses.....but whilst I deplore it...I can only imagine we played it , was because our ball control is equally so poor and we didn't want to get caught in posession.

This was a game he didn't want to lose and sadly it showed.

I agree, but the problem is it wasn’t a game in isolation. Before kick off a draw away, especially in a derby, I would take. However that is the set up and basic mentality for every game, away at least. We need all the points on Wednesday night, I can’t say I am overly confident, despite Preston’s poor recent form. We also need to look over our shoulders at the likes of Derby who are on form and have a game in hand, similarly Ipswich have a game in hand and are just behind us.

We’ve had a good run of results, but performances have at best been average, which concerns me because that is exactly what last season was like. I see nothing on the pitch to suggest we are a really good side with a mentality to control games and set the on pitch agenda. So I have little confidence that a poor run isn’t just around the corner and our poor start has left us with no buffer away from the baying pack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

He has his shortcomings sure - but with no obvious replacement and us sneaking into the play off positions he stays for me. 

As I’ve suggested previously, I don’t think we’ve a choice or much of one financially. Sticking with him may also represent our best chance of promotion rather than making another change.

But I’m far from impressed with his performance as manager or his dire, dire football.

I think the best we can hope for is that up under him and sack him as soon as it’s achieved.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â