Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

As has been said, at games it was minimal.

He was looking for criticism so he could try and turn the media onto the fans instead of himself.

I'm honestly stunned he's got decent jobs at Wednesday and Newcastle after Villa. The pattern repeats everywhere. Admittedly he walked out on Wednesday before the Bruce scenario played itself. They hate him for a different reason.

Sure he had the wednesday excuse ready as he also used to manage that lot up the road

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The point is the post you responded to said minimal criticism in the ground at a particular point in time

It goes back to the theory that Bruce was picking the fights with the fans and that he was having digs before the fan backlash which caused the resentment.

I saw him getting heavy criticism, often personal, for a long period of time. I picked the September as it aligned with the story posted of him having a go about people referring to him as a dinosaur.

Bruce didn’t handle himself very well for sure but it wasn’t him starting the rift with supporters as i remember it. He was biting back when he probably should have just kept his mouth closed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It goes back to the theory that Bruce was picking the fights with the fans and that he was having digs before the fan backlash which caused the resentment.

I saw him getting heavy criticism, often personal, for a long period of time. I picked the September as it aligned with the story posted of him having a go about people referring to him as a dinosaur.

Bruce didn’t handle himself very well for sure but it wasn’t him starting the rift with supporters as i remember it. He was biting back when he probably should have just kept his mouth closed.

Look at the thread after our humiliating loss against Reading. Hardly anything abusive. He then comes out in the next press conference saying he essentially laughs at the fans' "nonsense" criticism. Yeah mate, asking why Reading had 70% of the ball and we were just hoofing it up to famous targetman Scott Hogan was nonsense. He was picking fights and getting the excuses in early.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 15/08/2017 at 23:13, StefanAVFC said:

What a **** bellend.

On 15/08/2017 at 23:27, Phumfeinz said:

Utter clown.

On 15/08/2017 at 23:38, Zatman said:

the man is deluded. Comical Ali in charge

he should be sacked then sued for impersonating a football manager

On 15/08/2017 at 23:39, Phumfeinz said:

Clueless clearing in the woods of a manager.

On 15/08/2017 at 23:41, Risso said:

I absolutely bloody loathe him.  What a grade A Representative for Wellingborough. 

These are all from just 1 page before your link @Keyblade. I don’t understand why people are trying to rewrite history. 

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

These are all from just 1 page before your link @Keyblade. I don’t understand why people are trying to rewrite history. 

What's that, like 5 people...calling him a bellend and a *checks notes* clown? We should have booked the poor man a therapy session after that. I'd recommend looking at the Lambert/McLeish/Houllier threads or footage of Villa Park in those days to see what real incessant abuse looked like (including xenophobia in Houllier's case).

Be honest here, would you say that the overall sentiment from Villa fans at the time, on this forum or elsewhere (crucially at the ground), was one of animosity or abuse? I can cherry pick a couple of people calling Jurgen Klopp a word removed on RAWK right now if I tried, but that would obviously be slightly misleading.

A couple of posts on some corner on the internet doesn't invalidate the overwhelming majority of people offering constructive criticism. Instead, Bruce (assuming he's even reading these posts, which would be very odd) presumably used these outliers to completely invalidate any criticism he was facing and lashed out at everyone who had the nerve to question him. 

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

What's that, like 5 people...calling him a bellend and a *checks notes* clown? We should have booked the poor man a therapy session after that. I'd recommend looking at the Lambert/McLeish/Houllier threads or footage of Villa Park in those days to see what real incessant abuse looked like (including xenophobia in Houllier's case).

Be honest here, would you say that the overall sentiment from Villa fans at the time, on this forum or elsewhere (crucially at the ground), was one of animosity or abuse? I can cherry pick a couple of people calling Jurgen Klopp a word removed on RAWK right now if I tried, but that would obviously be slightly misleading.

A couple of posts on some corner on the internet doesn't invalidate the overwhelming majority of people offering constructive criticism. Instead, Bruce (assuming he's even reading these posts, which would be very odd) presumably used these outliers to completely invalidate any criticism he was facing and lashed out at everyone who had the nerve to question him. 

It’s not an outlier, it’s the page before you said there was no abuse there was people calling him w*****r and c*** as well as clown and bellend. There are hundreds of similar posts through the thread.

The suggestion is nobody was directing abuse his way which is clearly not the case. It’s a myth that Villa fans weren’t being abusive and Bruce was dreaming up reasons to have a go.

Edited by Genie

Why can’t people just own it?

The abuse was constant, I remember because I garnered multiple disciplinary points on here and almost got thrown off the site for getting into heated debates with people, it went on for a long time, I don’t get why people can’t just fess up to it, why they feel the need now, to revise the situation as being something other than it was.

I mean ultimately, you folks were right, so why the apparent embarrassment now when it’s called out?!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s not an outlier, it’s the page before you said there was no abuse there was people calling him w*****r and c*** as well as clown and bellend. There are hundreds of similar posts through the thread.

The suggestion is nobody was directing abuse his way which is clearly not the case. It’s a myth that Villa fans weren’t being abusive and Bruce was dreaming up reasons to have a go.

I didn't say there was no abuse, I said it was "hardly abusive". In other words, the overall tone of the thread was not abusive barring I guess a couple of outliers that you are hyper-focusing on to paint an inaccurate picture.

Again, without cherry-picking, do you think the majority of fans were being abusive? I read through the thread from between the Reading game and the Norwich game, and was actually surprised on how lightly he got off given the results and performances we were seeing especially when compared to similar stages in previous managers' stints with us.

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

At matches they weren't, no. Villatalk threads don't need to be dissected.

Not until the very end did he get any stick. Even then it was results based. Wasn't as though we were racking up wins and people were chanting Bruce Out.

He could see trouble coming and went at the fans first. Which is what he always does. He'll do it at Newcastle if fans are ever let back when they eventually start earning the points they deserve which is hardly any.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The abuse was constant, I remember because I garnered multiple disciplinary points on here and almost got thrown off the site for getting into heated debates with people, it went on for a long time, I don’t get why people can’t just fess up to it, why they feel the need now, to revise the situation as being something other than it was.

I mean ultimately, you folks were right, so why the apparent embarrassment now when it’s called out?!

Exactly, I’m not even saying it wasn’t justified (the football criticism, not the w word and c word stuff and things about his appearance). I’m just saying he was on the end of an awful lot of abuse as our manager on and off for a prolonged period of time. 

Fans from all other clubs have found the same as us, so no, it wasn’t the abuse on Villatalk.com, he was playing the victim for years before that. 

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

This entirely. He got abuse, everyone knows it. We’re a shit fan base at times and he was a shit manager for us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

This entirely. He got abuse, everyone knows it. We’re a shit fan base at times and he was a shit manager for us. 

We're are talking about early on in his stint with us. I don't think anybody is denying things got toxic towards the end.

If we consider a couple of people on the internet out of thousands calling him a clown abuse, then every single manager has been abused, likely within their first month in the job. The question is, why is he the only one (of our recent managers) to petulantly hit back? Spoiler: because his skin is thinner than filament.

0_JS164425370.jpg

Had it hit him in the head I'm pretty sure that would constitute as abuse? Either way I think he should have probably not taken jibes at the fanbase. Just ignore the loudmouths and be professional about it. He could complain about it off camera and it probably would have ended slightly less toxic than it did.

33 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He'll do it at Newcastle if fans are ever let back when they eventually start earning the points they deserve which is hardly any.

Oh, he's already started.

"What I understand now, and this is the most difficult part of all here, is that everything I do is analysed,” said head coach Bruce. “If I make a substitution, how we play, formation, everything.

“I understand one thing. Our performance against Brighton, and against Tottenham, were nowhere near what we are capable of. I accept I get criticism for that, but it's the constant ‘he doesn't know what he is doing, why has he picked this team? This is the way forward, we should be playing like this blah, blah, blah’.

There's no fans allowed in the ground. Who is saying "You don't know what you're doing" to you Steve?

Are you sending your children round the internet again?

• Haha 2

Not sure why people are bringing 'personal abuse' into it, when he spoke of 'shutting one or two up' and 'ramming it down people's throats', he was replying to people criticizing the job he was doing as a manager, personal abuse had nothing to do with it, previous managers had had it worse, if he'd had a go at people for calling him names I don't think anybody would be really bothered, but that wasn't the reason he had a go at fans, it was because people dared to question why he was failing with the most expensively put together squad in championship history.

Seems to be a certain type that always tries to defend him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure why people are bringing 'personal abuse' into it, when he spoke of 'shutting one or two up' and 'ramming it down people's throats', he was replying to people criticizing the job he was doing as a manager, personal abuse had nothing to do with it, previous managers had had it worse, if he'd had a go at people for calling him names I don't think anybody would be really bothered, but that wasn't the reason he had a go at fans, it was because people dared to question why he was failing with the most expensively put together squad in championship history.

Seems to be a certain type that always tries to defend him.

When he talked about laughing at fans and their nonsense or asking who we'd get that was better than him, he wasn't talking about VillaRockerDude69 on Villatalk.com calling him Potato Face, but the fact that people were questioning the teams' performances and whether he was the right man for the job. Bringing up "abuse" which came from very small sections of the supporters, mostly concentrated online, is really just a red herring. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, useless said:

Not sure why people are bringing 'personal abuse' into it, when he spoke of 'shutting one or two up' and 'ramming it down people's throats', he was replying to people criticizing the job he was doing as a manager, personal abuse had nothing to do with it,

If he’s aware of people calling him a dinosaur online as he stated in an interview then he’s probably aware of people calling him the a w***** and c*** etc in threads like this one. It might have added to his reasoning as to why he wanted to “shut a few people up”. He was wrong to do it and should have kept his mouth shut as I said before.

He didn’t just decide one day to start a feud with the Villa supporters.

Edited by Genie

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â