Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's done some fine work lowering expectations at Aston Villa.

Press and now fans treat his results like great achievements and compare them to previous managers' efforts in the Premier League.

He's bad news, and every day he's here is only damaging us further.

I saw a comparison of our home form under him compared to other mangers and how good it was ..apparently the fact we are playing the likes of Millwall,Ipswich  etc compared to Man United , Chelsea makes no difference .

He has done a great job on convincing people 

1)He spent nothing 

2)That coming 4th and getting beat in the PO final wasn't failure 

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

We will see what Biesla does over the season and then revisit the debate......half a dozen games is not enough.

He has a mixed reputation.....and the amount of wins on his cv is modest.

There must be a reason why he has not presided over the top teams of Europe.

We will see.

In the meantime, lets just support the one we have....Steve Bruce.

Bielsa teams burn out.  It's a hallmark of his entire career, and in a 46 game season with the strength in depth Leeds United have I can't see anything different happening this time round. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Regardless, we lost.

Im more than sure had we won it would count.

And I haven’t forgotten those exits.

And I do care about the competition, and, I guarantee, had we got to the final we’d have sold out.

And had we won, we’d  nearly all go on about it forever and a day.

So I  disagree with your assessment.

But whether I did or not, outside of Trumps White House facts are still facts, and truth is still truth.

We are not unbeaten !

Terry, it's digressing from the point at hand but, for the record, i don't disagree with you. My two best memories of supporting Villa are the two league Cup wins in 94 and 96, they are the only two legitimate trophies we've won during my lifetime.

SB was obviously referencing our league record, as we all know, and given where we are surely you can agree that the league Cup is quite literally bottom on our priority list. 

So yes, you're right, we're not unbeaten but we are unbeaten in the league and this is obviously what SB referenced. 

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I saw a comparison of our home form under him compared to other mangers and how good it was ..apparently the fact we are playing the likes of Millwall,Ipswich  etc compared to Man United , Chelsea makes no difference .

He has done a great job on convincing people 

1)He spent nothing 

2)That coming 4th and getting beat in the PO final wasn't failure 

We do not have a PL quality team so why would we devalue our results in this division on that basis?

It's all relative surely??

Am I going mad or something? I don't understand why this is difficult to grasp, okay sure, even on relative terms it's not the same as having to face Man City etc but I don't understand why people are so quick to write it off entirely and dismiss it.

I swear, only Villa fans could take a great home record and a positive win percentage and turn it into another stick with which to beat the Manager.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

So he actually let Elphick leave, even though we didn't get another CB in. A position we were light on as it is... another clueless decision, like selling Baker.

Gotta pray Chester stays fit until January I suppose... not that it matters much, Bruce will be long gone before Christmas anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:
  4 hours ago, Mantis said:

“Look, we got to the play-off final and we’ve lost six of that team who got us there. So far we haven’t been able to replace them.

Steve, the reason why we lost six players is because YOU took the short term view of bringing in loan signings to get us promoted. That failed and you failed. Don't complain about the consequences of your own mistakes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Bruce needs to pray Chester can at least get to January without injury. We are fecked otherwise.

We're fecked anyway. CB is a partnership. James Chester + John Terry is a very different proposition to James Chester + somebody who can't play CB (which is all we have left). 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We're fecked anyway. CB is a partnership. James Chester + John Terry is a very different proposition to James Chester + somebody who can't play CB (which is all we have left). 

Agreed. We still have the option of free agents i guess. We can't go till January with what we have?

The only other option now we have signed a few wingers is Elmo back to RB and Axel into the middle. 

His pursuit of the french kid, and his lack of time at CB this season maybe suggests Bruce doesn't rate him at CB? 

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We do not have a PL quality team so why would we devalue our results in this division on that basis?

It's all relative surely??

Am I going mad or something? I don't understand why this is difficult to grasp, okay sure, even on relative terms it's not the same as having to face Man City etc but I don't understand why people are so quick to write it off entirely and dismiss it.

I swear, only Villa fans could take a great home record and a positive win percentage and turn it into another stick with which to beat the Manager.

It's not being used as a stick to beat the manager. It is being questioned/objected to as a sign that the manager is somehow achieving miracles, or an attitude of therefore everything must be OK (as that is how it comes across when people object to criticism of Bruce and cite his win percentage). 

The difference is that in the premier league, Villa are not one of the big clubs, not expected to be around the top six so it is unreasonable to expect us to win as many games as in the Championship where we are one of the big boys expecting promotion/top 4 - so it is not a fair comparison to look at Bruce's win percentage vs managers who were here when we struggled in the prem - we should expect to win more games in this league (as a top team) than we would in the premier league as one of the also-rans.

If Bruce was achieving this win percentage in the premier league, it would be something quite remarkable. In this league it is no more than we should be expecting, in fact it is arguably not as good as we should be expecting - because we are still in the Championship.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Steve, the reason why we lost six players is because YOU took the short term view of bringing in loan signings to get us promoted. That failed and you failed. Don't complain about the consequences of your own mistakes.

What six have we actually lost?

Johnstone - OK, but we have replaced with TWO goalkeepers

Snodders - Been replaced by two wingers.... admittedly only very recently

Samba - Errrr no great loss

Onomah - See Samba, but have upgraded to McGinn anyway

Grabban - yes, bit of a loss, but we have Kodjia back from injury so I say that evens out, and we have now signed Abraham - again admittedly very recently

Gabby - Bye bye!

Hutton - signed a new contract

Tuanzebe - he is back

Who have I missed? As I see it we have only directly lost Terry and Snodders from last season. Snodders has been replaced now, by two wingers. 

Terry is a big miss, our CB situation is shambolic, but Terry is the only decent player that we have not replaced with equivalent or better.

I don't understand how we are six players weaker?

Oh yes, and we have loaned out Green and Elphick..... the manager must have approved that, so can't moan about it.

Edited by TheStagMan

46 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Given what transpired at the end of the season, why is everyone so convinced that we could have signed all these young up and coming (but still as good right now as the ones we did sign) players? I mean, players with good current ability (top compete at the top of the league), good potential and good sell on value aren't generally available for peanuts. 

Maybe signing older and loan players wasn't a choice, it was a necessity? Just a thought 

49 minutes ago, vreitti said:

So he actually let Elphick leave, even though we didn't get another CB in. A position we were light on as it is... another clueless decision, like selling Baker.

Gotta pray Chester stays fit until January I suppose... not that it matters much, Bruce will be long gone before Christmas anyway.

Not disagreeing with the Eplphick stuff. But selling Baker was totally the right decision. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Absolutely this - heard him on the radio earlier banging on once more how we are always one game from a crisis - Steve, bad news I'm afraid you'll remain one game away from crisis until you achieve your blooming targets.

Why Don't you just concentrate on what your paid to do - and leave any inference out of it.?

Have to admit I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around the thinking some managers have.

First we had a former midfielder in Di Matteo who had us going into the season without a midfield for some reason unknown.

And now we have Bruce, a former CB who has us going into the season with only 1 CB and 1LB.

Just don't get it. How can they not see that it will end in tears?

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Have to admit I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around the thinking some managers have.

First we had a former midfielder in Di Matteo who had us going into the season without a midfield for some reason unknown.

And now we have Bruce, a former CB who has us going into the season with only 1 CB and 1LB.

Was Hutton not more than competent at lb last season, and so far this?

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Was Hutton not more than competent at lb last season, and so far this?

Last season he did well within his limitations.

This season he's IMO been a bit iffy.

But he's way better at LB than RB at least.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

As I’ve said before. You can’t make it blatantly obvious you want a nice payoff. Have to be as subtle as possible.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â